Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #1426
idiom6
idiom6 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Another question, more specific this time. For whatever reason, when I use Count Pages to try to get a word count for Annihilation (Southern Reach Trilogy 1), it drastically underestimates the wordcount. I googled online and found that it was ~228,230 words. No matter if I use the Estimate option, the Download All option, or the Goodreads option, they all estimate 58,852 words.

Is there a setting I need to tweak to get more accurate word counts?
idiom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:58 PM   #1427
Penny_Dreadful
She/Her
Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.

Device: Kindle PW5 (G001PX) PW3 PW1
I think the info you found online might be for the entire Southern Reach Trilogy, my kindle version of Annihilation has 210 pages and 56114 words (according to this plug-in) which works out to ~267 words to a page, which seems right (see here about half way down the page).
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #1428
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiom6 View Post
Another question, more specific this time. For whatever reason, when I use Count Pages to try to get a word count for Annihilation (Southern Reach Trilogy 1), it drastically underestimates the wordcount. I googled online and found that it was ~228,230 words. No matter if I use the Estimate option, the Download All option, or the Goodreads option, they all estimate 58,852 words.

Is there a setting I need to tweak to get more accurate word counts?
According to the Kobo Book Store the whole Southern Reach 3-book omnibus has 236,000 words.

Edit: Too late, ninja'd again!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #1429
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@idiom6: It does sound like you are comparing the word count for a single book to the word count for the trilogy. If that isn't the case, there could be an error of some sort. The log from the job might show something. Other than that, I would need to see the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:31 AM   #1430
patalex
patalex began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo forma, pbTouch Lux 3
Hi,
I've been using this plugin for a while with success !
I wonder if it is possible to run automatically this plugging when importing a new book to Calibre ?
Thanks
patalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #1431
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unless the Action Chains plugin can do it, there is no mechanism to run the plugin automatically.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #1432
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Unless the Action Chains plugin can do it, there is no mechanism to run the plugin automatically.
The Action Chains plugin can run it. I have a chain that runs Count Pages and Extract ISBN.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:28 AM   #1433
patalex
patalex began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo forma, pbTouch Lux 3
Quote:
The Action Chains plugin can run it. I have a chain that runs Count Pages and Extract ISBN.
Thanks a lot, I will have a look to this plugin
patalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #1434
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the topic of a discussion that was going in the Action Chains thread:

one thing I would like to be able to do (though I suspect not possible with the current Count Pages APIs) is to calculate using all four algorithms and output them to a dialog instead of a column. Mostly to compare the differences.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-02-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #1435
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
You can do something very similar already:

You can run the plugin and when it asks to update your library, look in the log and then choose not to update the library.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:11 PM   #1436
wzzzrd
wzzzrd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I followed directions in the OP but when changing reading progress option on my kindle voyage to "Page in Book" it's grayed out as "not available"
wzzzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:43 PM   #1437
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Question: when downloading page count for my borrowed library books, I have to turn off word count or it complains there's no convertible format. Is there a way to just skip it?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-04-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:39 PM   #1438
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Question: when downloading page count for my borrowed library books, I have to turn off word count or it complains there's no convertible format. Is there a way to just skip it?
No. But, it is something I keep meaning to look at. There probably should be an option to ignore the other stats when downloading the page count if there is not suitable format. I occasionally think of adding word count downloads, but, the only place that I know of that has this is the Kobo store.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:14 AM   #1439
pakz
pakz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hey guys,
hope someone can help me out with the plugin.

I'm currently rebuilding and reorganizing my library. I have already added all the goodreads-ID to the books and am now trying to get page count added.

At the moment, I have only 100 books in the library. When I batch download the page count, however, I only get around 2-7 results back. The rest says "FAILED TO GET PAGE COUNT FROM WEBSITE".
However, if I then run the same batch again afterwards, I get another 2-7 results back, from the ones that previously didn't have any result.

I was thinking that maybe the API was limiting batch querries, but I also tried over and over with just a single book and didn't get any feedback at all (then stopped after 10 attempts).

Even more so, if I delete all page counts and start over again, the ones where the plugin successfully found the pages, now return empty as well (and others will be populated instead).

Plugin version is 1.11.0, Calibre 5.17.

If anyone knows a solution or has any idea, that would be much appreciated

Cheers
Jan
pakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #1440
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

It is going to be a limiter on the site. The plugin is scraping the page rather than using an API. The site does have a limit that can be hit when downloading metadata from GR. The plugin makes no attempt to space out the requests. GR will be blacklisting your IP for a while. You will need to do the download in smaller batches and manage the timing.

If you have the books in your GR library, you can download a CSV with all the books in it. This includes the page count. You can use the Import List plugin to import the page count from this file.

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin