Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Question Linux/Calibre client question

Hi all
This is really a Linux question rather than Calibre, but related.

The way I have Calibre set up is I have multiple clients connecting to my library on my NAS. As I generally only connect one at a time this isn't a problem, and anyone else can browse/use the library using COPS.

I was hoping that I could also attach the Linux version of Calibre the same way from my Linux device and yet it doesn't seem to pick up any network fileshare that is not local to the machine. Any ideas about how to do network mapping like windows in such a way that Calibre can use those mappings would be very welcome. Ironic that most NAS boxes and indeed mine are Linux devices, and yet I can't even get Calibre to attach to a remote fileshare.

thanks in advance!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
joneng
joneng began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Hi James

I'm new here but from what I've gathered running a calibre library on a network share is not advised and you will have issues sooner or later.

So, given you understand the risks, how are you doing the mappings? are you mounting the nas shares in /etc/fstab so they mount on boot?

some resources to help set this up if not
https://timlehr.com/auto-mount-samba...stab-on-linux/
https://www.techrepublic.com/article...hare-on-linux/

when mounting shares configured in fstab manually, e.g. if they get disconnected and you dont want to reboot the device then verbose switch (-v) might help identify mount failure reason, e.g.

mount -av

hth, jon
joneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Even what you are already doing is a bad idea.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre is a (tightly linked) set of transactions that involve the Filesystem AND the database (db) together. Get those delayed or interrupted, and you break the linkages. Allowing Multi-user (write) access is also a recipe for disaster. The data is cached during use for performance. Changes by the other user are not reflected when the final DB write is done.

Do folk get away with network stuff?
Yes...until it fails (then they come here for help recovering)
In the end: It is YOUR DATA (at risk)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:09 PM   #5
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneng View Post
Hi James

I'm new here but from what I've gathered running a calibre library on a network share is not advised and you will have issues sooner or later.

So, given you understand the risks, how are you doing the mappings? are you mounting the nas shares in /etc/fstab so they mount on boot?

some resources to help set this up if not
https://timlehr.com/auto-mount-samba...stab-on-linux/
https://www.techrepublic.com/article...hare-on-linux/

when mounting shares configured in fstab manually, e.g. if they get disconnected and you dont want to reboot the device then verbose switch (-v) might help identify mount failure reason, e.g.

mount -av

hth, jon
Jon
Yep, I'm aware that this could cause death of the library, etc. etc. But, I back it up occasionally and it's been working just fine for the last several years. In fact I think I've been using Calibre since 2011 (is that possible?) and never once had a problem with it despite using it across several machines during that time. It's a phenomenal piece of work! Of course if you do attempt to access from multiple places at once you can expect disaster, that's kind of obvious with this kind of system

Many thanks for the pointers, I will investigate! I think it's attempting to mount, not finding the share and then just drops dead. It's not like Windows which can recover the connection when it reappears.. I daresay I could probably script up something, but I'm lazy!
thanks again
James
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote