Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
jfca283
jfca283 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Kobo doesn't turn on

Hi
I've read some solutions in the forum. And nothing works.
I plugged the reader and when i tried to turn it on, it changed the light from green to blue and then nothing. I've charged the reader the whole night but the steps are the same. Mi PC doesn't recognise the reader. I did try a basic reset, and i obtained the same output. It just doesn't turn on. I don't want to try a factory reset because i would lose the ebooks and specially the annotations i've made. What can i do?
Thanks for your time and interest.
jfca283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The only thing I can think that might work is to force it off and then plug it in to a charger. To force it off, hold the power switch in the off position fro 20 seconds. Then, when you plug it in, it should turn on within a minute or two. If it doesn't start, try to turn it on yourself.

But, I don't expect that to work. You will probably have to do a factory reset. Or reimage the internal storage, if it is a Touch with an internal SD card. If the Touch does have an internal SD card, you could remove that and copy the files from the book partition. Maybe you can restore that after you get the device going.

Of course, what is on the screen? Are you sure it is still working? If it has, then the device might be working. And when you plug it in, it might be prompting to connect (the PC doesn't see it until you do). If so, plugging it in and tapping the right place on the screen might get the device seen by the PC.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
jfca283

I've tried the 20 seconds switch option. Nothing happens. It only change the ligth from green to blue. My PC doesn't recognise the device. I think is dead the device/screen.
I also tried the full reset. I'm thinking in buying another kobo.
Do you know if i can restore the ebooks, and specially annotations, from the device?
All the books are in the device, no external SD card.
Thanks for your time.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfca283 View Post
I've tried the 20 seconds switch option. Nothing happens. It only change the ligth from green to blue.
OK.
Quote:
My PC doesn't recognise the device.
The PC won't see the device until the message to connect to the PC is displayed and accepted. So,
Quote:
I think is dead the device/screen.
What is actually on the screen? It is probably whatever was last displayed when it was working, but are the any problems or artifacts displayed?
Quote:
I also tried the full reset. I'm thinking in buying another kobo.
Do you know if i can restore the ebooks, and specially annotations, from the device?
All the books are in the device, no external SD card.
A factory reset formats the partition with the books on it. If the factory reset was done properly, then there won't be anything there. If you are reading books from Kobo downloaded to the device, then the annotations will be synced to their server. This will be restored to another Kobo device or app signed into the same account. If the books are sideloaded, unless you have a backup of the database or some other files from the device, you won't be able to recover anything.

If the factory reset was not done correctly, and the Touch is one of the two models with an internal SD card, you can remove that and mount it in a PC to recover files. If it is one of these devices, you can also try restoring an image to the card and seeing if that fixes things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
jfca283

It's the old model. So, no sd card recovery option.
Finally i bought another kobo. What annoys me more is the lost of the comments and annotations i've made.
Thanks for your replies. I think this post should be closed.
Advert

Tags
frozen screen