Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 03-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #1
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
no small caps?

I'm reading an ebook with small caps text, but KOReader fails to render it.
It is a bug or I'm missing something?
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:45 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
I'm reading an ebook with small caps text, but KOReader fails to render it.
It is a bug or I'm missing something?
KOReader does do small-caps. In CSS you want to use
Code:
 font-variant: small-caps;
Most eBooks use simulated small caps which is also not a problem in KOReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2021, 07:02 AM   #3
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mh, weird. If I choose to turn off 'fonts embedded' KOReader show me the text in small caps. If I turn on 'fonts embedded', KOReader show me the text in lowercase. In HTML I have:

Quote:
<p class="_0-Corpo-del-testo ParaOverride-18"><span class="CharOverride-28">agriculture / agricoltura</span></p>
In CSS:

Quote:
span.CharOverride-28 {
font-family:"Simoncini Garamond Std", serif;
font-style:normal;
font-variant:small-caps;
font-weight:normal;
text-transform:none;
}
and..

Quote:
@font-face {
font-family:"Simoncini Garamond Std";
font-style:normal;
font-weight:normal;
src : url("../Fonts/SimonciniGaramondStd.otf");
}
If I open the same ePub in Adobe Edition, I can see the small caps...
Old 03-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I assume this simply means that the embedded font has borked/trimmed OpenType features.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I assume this simply means that the embedded font has borked/trimmed OpenType features.
If were borked/trimmed features, Adobe Digital Edition too would have the same problem. But I can see small caps on Ade and others readers.
Advert
Old 03-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn't necessarily be sure about that. Adobe has the best font engine in the business, it might be doing some black magic to coerce features out of a funky font .

More interesting is your "other readers" comment: which ones? ;o).

Another train of thought: is the embedded font actually detected *at all*? Or is it falling back to a fallback font?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-10-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily be sure about that. Adobe has the best font engine in the business, it might be doing some black magic to coerce features out of a funky font .
I tried other ebook readers (see after)
Quote:
More interesting is your "other readers" comment: which ones? ;o).
I tried Adobe, iBooks and Thorium on Macintosh and Adobe, Namo Reader, Google Play Books and Gitden Reader on Android. All show the small caps.

Quote:

Another train of thought: is the embedded font actually detected *at all*? Or is it falling back to a fallback font?
I checked: all the ebook reader are using the Simoncini Garamond. Only KOReader fails to show the small caps...

UPDATE: also Moon+Reader and ReadEra fail to show the small caps...

Last edited by fbrzvnrnd; 03-10-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Hard to say more without having the font on-hand to take a look at its feature table, though.

One thing you can try is ripping the font out of the ePub and installing it as a KOreader font, to see if the behavior is specific to how embedded fonts are loaded or if it's specifically an issue with this font
Old 03-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #9
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Hard to say more without having the font on-hand to take a look at its feature table, though.

One thing you can try is ripping the font out of the ePub and installing it as a KOreader font, to see if the behavior is specific to how embedded fonts are loaded or if it's specifically an issue with this font
Good point. I analyzed the font. It weighs only 15k, so it's a subsetting and, looking at the characters inside, I don't see the small caps (so I have to correct myself: the font I see reading the ebook is Simoncini except the small caps texts). My guess is that Adobe, Apple or Google, when they realize that an embedded font does not have subsetting related to a feature, such as small caps, they fallback on the second font. Not KOReader: if it does not find the small caps it does not fallback and fails to render the property indicated in the CSS.

It seems to me a KOReader bug: the CSS states to use Simoncini with small caps or fallback to Serif with small caps if Simoncini with small caps is not present. KOReader uses Simoncini without small caps and does not fallback to Serif with small caps.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'm indeed fairly confident that a missing `font-variant` doesn't trip a fallback codepath in CRe (as opposed to a missing glyph).

Our resident CRe wizard @poire-z will probably chime it at one point to say how feasible something like that would be .

(Or, more generically, if it even makes sense and/or what the actual specs say about the canonical behavior (if there is one) in such an instance ).
Old 03-11-2021, 02:51 AM   #11
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
I'm indeed fairly confident that a missing `font-variant` doesn't trip a fallback codepath in CRe (as opposed to a missing glyph).

Our resident CRe wizard @poire-z will probably chime it at one point to say how feasible something like that would be .

(Or, more generically, if it even makes sense and/or what the actual specs say about the canonical behavior (if there is one) in such an instance ).
IMHO the small caps variant is typographically and visually important enough to require a fallback. Apple, Adobe and Google follow this road...
Old 03-11-2021, 03:16 AM   #12
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

To learn about the open-type features of any font, I found the following site very useful:

https://wakamaifondue.com/
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

To learn about the open-type features of any font, I found the following site very useful:

https://wakamaifondue.com/
That's a very useful site.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Simoncini Garamond Std does not support small caps. So the solution is to use simulated small caps.

Code:
span.CharOverride-28 {
font-family: "Simoncini Garamond Std", serif;
font-size: 0.8333em;
}

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-11-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
... and apply that style only to the "small" caps, i.e. not to large caps, not to spaces, not to punctutation...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote