Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Cannot create table of content when converting my ebooks

I hope someone can help me on this as it's quite frustrating.

I've started converting my books to a common format to make my life easier for reading them.

I choose epub as it looks like it should be a good format for reading and for archival purposes.

When I convert a book from LIT to epub, I do not get any TOC generated in the finished epub.

I've tried LIT's with and without a TOC included it it and have used the option to force Calibre to use it's oun but no joy.

Anyone got any ideas?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Lit files generally don't have a concept of a TOC, so you have to edit the html output before doing a final conversion to epub.

I generally do this (with .6):
  1. Disable Splitting in the conversion dialog - disable split on page breaks and set the max split size to two megabytes
  2. Convert to epub
  3. Unzip the epub
  4. Edit the HTML file, insert line endings as Calibre defaults to no line feeds
  5. Find all the chapters and surround them by H2 or H3 tags
  6. Make any other adjustments merited by taste
  7. Save the HTML
  8. Zip the css file, HTML file, and any embedded images together
  9. Go to the edit metadata dialog for the book, import the zip file as a new format
  10. Open the convert dialog again
  11. Use the zip as the source format
  12. Edit the xpath to match the chapters in the book - change hx if needed to match what you used (h2, h3, h4, etc), edit the regex if needed to match the actual chapters.
  13. set the epub conversion option to split on page breaks
  14. Convert

Last edited by ldolse; 07-01-2009 at 11:50 PM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
In 0.6 you can specify the --use-auto-toc option. "Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents" in the GUI. If it is still having trouble finding the chapters you can specify the xpath for it to identify them. E.G. --level1-toc=//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']. "Detect Chapters" in the GUI.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

"Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents" is also available in the current non-beta version but as stated in the first post it didn't work.

I'll have a go when I get home from work but I'm not quite sure on this xpath stuff so might need a bit further explanation (or a slightly clearer example) on it.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Using the auto toc needs to be coupled with an xpath expression to specify what the toc items are. The default expression works in most cases but not all. Hence the need to create a custom expression for the document. In your case it isn't working. XPath is basically a way to specify elements in an XML document that meet certain criteria.

Have a look at this XPath tutorial. It is a bit complicated but it allows for precise matching. ldolse gave a good way to go about figuring out what the XPath needs to match. The only change I would make is to surround the chapters with h1 or h2 tags instead of h2 and h3 because h1 and h2 are detected by the default XPath that way you won't have to make your own.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

In my experience with Lit files the chapters are rarely surrounded by hx tags. I have seen the 'chapter' class, but it usually increments the class for each chapter - 'chapter1', 'chapter2', etc. Will the default xpath still match when the class name is changing like that?

Of course the above is probably more true of the bootleg lit files. Professionally produced lit files do seem to follow guidelines some stricter guidelines, but professionally produced ones don't seem that common.

Usually when I edit the document I the first thing I'll check is whether the chapter delimiters are something that matches the default chapter regex. Then I'll make sure those are surrounded by H1 or H2 tags. A lot of books don't use Chapter xx though, they just use a word or a phrase. Usually it's pretty simple to write a regex to find all of those breaks though, then surround them by the hx tags. Then I'll just change the xpath to something like this:
--level1-toc=//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., '.*', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']

The key to using that simpler regex is to make sure that you're not overlapping with other uses of h1 or h2 tags, which are very common in the title page. So I'll go with h3 or h4 instead. Probably easier just to specify chapter classes now that I think about it though....

That whole process I described is why I'd love to be able to use the GUI to convert to uncompressed OEB to better facilitate edits like this. I know Calibre doesn't support the idea of a folder as a type of book, but one option would be to just not add the OEB format to the library, just dump it to the filesystem. Think of it as an 'export to OEB' option instead of a 'convert to OEB' option.

Last edited by ldolse; 07-01-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the --debug-input switch to ebook-convert to "dump to OEB" rather than converting to OEB
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
lightkeeper54
lightkeeper54 began at the beginning.

Device: Acer Aspire One
Kovid,

I'm confused. Where do I specify a command-line switch on Windows without running a command prompt?
lightkeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
WayneD
Enthusiast
WayneD began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone + PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightkeeper54 View Post
I'm confused. Where do I specify a command-line switch on Windows without running a command prompt?
Kovid's suggestion was to use of the "ebook-convert" script, which is indeed run via the command-line.
WayneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
ldolse
Wizard

Yes, that does require the command line. Before the betas using a debug command wasn't neccessary though, I just needed to specify a .oeb extension with ebook-convert and I would get an uncompressed folder with OEB. Has that changed then?

My general problem with using the command line is I've adopted the GUI for my work, and having to navigate Calibre's folder structure using the command line makes it a bit difficult to switch between the two.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The difference between .oeb and --debug-input is that --debug-inpu aborts the conversion pipeline immediately after the input plugin is run, whereas .oeb outputs the end result of running the full conversion pipeline
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote