Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
tempehball
tempehball began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
How to avoid aliasing for image on an epub?

Hello mobileread community!
As you can see on the following image, the gray and black strokes in this PNG are aliased. I can achieve a perfect quality with SVGs but other issues force me to switch to PNGs (some stroke just doesn’t appear for unknown reasons).

https://i.stack.imgur.com/In2hk.png

Original PNG image

Does anyone have similar experience? Is that related to my device (Kobo Aura)?

Last edited by Jellby; 08-19-2021 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Change oversized image to link
tempehball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Moderator Notice
Images included in posts must be no more than 600x600 pixels.

Your problem is probably similar: Resize the image with a decent image editing software to a reasonable size, and avoid the device having to do the resizing (which creates the aliasing).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
tempehball

Thank you for your answer. How can I know what is the best size for my device? How can I make sure this size will fit only to my device?
Old 08-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
MicroDrie
Connoisseur
MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, Linux Mint, Tablet, and Telephone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempehball View Post
Thank you for your answer. How can I know what is the best size for my device? How can I make sure this size will fit only to my device?
A matter of taste, but I personally find that the quality of the display starts to deteriorate visibly after more than 2x magnification.
An online Swiss Knife in the field of good image editing is https://www10.lunapic.com/editor/. If you choose the scale option, the width / height ratio remains the same, see attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScaleImage.png
Views:	161
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	188914  
MicroDrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:04 AM   #5
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempehball View Post
Hello mobileread community!
As you can see on the following image, the gray and black strokes in this PNG are aliased.
The image is 24 bits with an alpha channel (transparency).
That's expecting a fairly sophisticated reader. And it's unnecessary

Just make it greyscale, black and grey on white.
Reduced the palette to 4 colours, the filesize is 1/6th, and should work better.
https://imgur.com/dWQwkeR
I use Irfanview to do simple transformations like this.

if you want to scale it, it can do that too: here's 800 px wide. Even smaller file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	press2.png
Views:	161
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	188946  

Last edited by AlanHK; 08-27-2021 at 02:10 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2021, 05:42 AM   #6
tempehball

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
The image is 24 bits with an alpha channel (transparency).
That's expecting a fairly sophisticated reader. And it's unnecessary

Just make it greyscale, black and grey on white.
Reduced the palette to 4 colours, the filesize is 1/6th, and should work better.
https://imgur.com/dWQwkeR
I use Irfanview to do simple transformations like this.

if you want to scale it, it can do that too: here's 800 px wide. Even smaller file.
That’s a good advice, thank you. I will try to lower the general quality and remove the alpha channel. That can explain the aliasing. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2021, 01:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But do not forget to test the images with a 6" 300DPI Reader to make sure the image sizes are large enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
images, png, resolution, svg