Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 05:30 AM   #1
ItalianUruguayan
Connoisseur
ItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Why don't e-readers try to offer more extra functions (mp3 player, games...)?

While I know that e-readers are designed specifically for reading, I cannot understand why they shouldn't offer some extra functions.

The first readers I used all tried to offer something more than a reader. The Sony PRS-T1, for example, was an amazing device that rocked a nice mp3 player and a web browser that is still a pleasure to use today, almost eight years later. It also had a notes app, a sketch pad for drawing and a photo gallery. All of them were nice features that added value to its reading experience without interfering with it.

Nowadays, Kobos are pretty hackable and offer some really basic beta features, like a sketch pad and a web browser so simple that it doesn't even remember cookies. They have already stopped supporting some of them. A year ago, Kobos had a nice chess app that has dissapeared from the new firmwares. Kindles, as far as I know, offer only a web browser, and it is atrocious and unusable.

It is obvious that tablets are way more useful as all-purpose devices, but I can't understand why ereader companies refuse to provide some basic utilities that would require almost no manteinance, like a simple web browser to read the online newspaper at a coffee break.

Last edited by ItalianUruguayan; 03-23-2018 at 05:32 AM.
ItalianUruguayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:52 AM   #2
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
a) A speaker or the like (for mp3 playing) would draw more power; e-readers are designed largely to maximize reading time without power being drawn by externalities;
b) Many e-reader users cite the fact that they are one-task devices as a plus (unlike general purpose tablets, there are fewer distractions on a dedicated eReader); offering extra functions would actually be considered a negative by a lot of users.
c) e-Ink, which is great for reading, has a really low refresh rate which can be bad for games or web browsing.
d) It takes a lot of effort to support outside features, especially something as complex as a web browser. You say “a simple web browser”, but they aren't actually simple: the embedded browsers on eink devices have often been pretty primitive, and haven't evolved to render sites using modern HTML5 + Javascript + CSS. Largely because such browsers are incredibly complex. Most readers would rather have the programming effort put into improving the actual book reading experience rather than making a half-assed browser work on the device.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2018, 05:52 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can of course buy multi-function eInk devices, but eInk readers are just that: dedicated single-use devices. That's what I personally want. When I'm reading I don't want to be distracted by other things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Of all the features you mention, the one I think fits best with an eReader is the MP3 player. Speeches, sermons, audio books seem like a natural fit for a device that is often used for research. (I did complain when a new update removed chess from my Kobo Glo -- and I do like chess on the Kobo Mini and the (older firmware) Kobo Touch "just because" ... though I admit, I hardly ever use it.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Are "Kindlets" still a thing?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
ItalianUruguayan
Connoisseur
ItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Of all the features you mention, the one I think fits best with an eReader is the MP3 player. Speeches, sermons, audio books seem like a natural fit for a device that is often used for research. (I did complain when a new update removed chess from my Kobo Glo -- and I do like chess on the Kobo Mini and the (older firmware) Kobo Touch "just because" ... though I admit, I hardly ever use it.)
They are also nice for language learning, I honestly don't know why they don't do these anymore, since the addition of a soundcard would be pretty cheap.
ItalianUruguayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
If I have music or other audio playing while I am reading, I never hear it. I am oblivious to it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Are "Kindlets" still a thing?
Nope. Amazon even removed support for Kindlets with the latest 5.9.x firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianUruguayan View Post
While I know that e-readers are designed specifically for reading, I cannot understand why they shouldn't offer some extra functions.

It is obvious that tablets are way more useful as all-purpose devices, but I can't understand why ereader companies refuse to provide some basic utilities that would require almost no manteinance, like a simple web browser to read the online newspaper at a coffee break.
Likely because majority of e-ink buyers don't care about all those extra functions so it's just a waste of development resources.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've never wanted those functions on my reader, because it's just that, a READER. If I want to listen to music while reading, I'll usually have and old mp3 player, or even a youtube Mozart Chamber Music playlist from youtube playing softly in the background.

The only function I'd like to see on my Kindle is a way to organise collections off-line, because I don't use wi-fi. But that is strictly book-related. If I wanted all the other gizmos, I'd either use my computer or buy a tablet.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have other devices that work better for music and internet. I do like having the ability to get library books directly on my Sony reader but otherwise I don't use the internet function as it's slow and clunky. I'm happy having an ereader that is dedicated for reading and library use only.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I have other devices that work better for music and internet. I do like having the ability to get library books directly on my Sony reader but otherwise I don't use the internet function as it's slow and clunky. I'm happy having an ereader that is dedicated for reading and library use only.
I like that I can add audible files to (some) of my Sony Readers. I'm not really thinking of using them for music but for podcast-like files. My Blackberry Q10 plays music just fine.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianUruguayan View Post

The first readers I used all tried to offer something more than a reader. The Sony PRS-T1, for example, was an amazing device that rocked a nice mp3 player and a web browser that is still a pleasure to use today, almost eight years later. It also had a notes app, a sketch pad for drawing and a photo gallery. All of them were nice features that added value to its reading experience without interfering with it.
The more an e-ink reader tries to behave like a tablet, the more reviews will say 'what a terrible tablet.'
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I can't listen to music while I read, unless the music is only instrumental with no lyrics. If there are lyrics, I can't focus on either the book or the music.

There is one game that was available on my older Kindles, called Threadwords. I did like playing that, and have never found a similar game app for my iPad or iPhone.

I hardly ever listen to audio books...and when I have I haven't enjoyed them so much.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
The extra functions would waste battery which would be better spent on reading.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I can't listen to music while I read, unless the music is only instrumental with no lyrics. If there are lyrics, I can't focus on either the book or the music.
I can't either. Actually I can't do much of anything else when I'm listening to music. I pay too much attention to the music. Basically, if I want to listen to music, I just sit and listen to music.