theengine
Enthusiast
theengine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Version 3 Content Server Viewer in Full Screen mode in 1OS 10 Safari

Hi,

Great program, thanks.

I've one question re the above subject.

I have successfully downloaded the book I am reading into my iPhone SE and am able to read it in Safari. However, I can't get it into full screen mode, that is I can't get the bottom Safari bar (the one that shows navigate left and right, send to, Bookmarks and tabs) to disappear. In a normal website I can do this by scrolling down. (Annoyingly, the top bar still stays!) This means I loose the bottom line of the text in that page. As a workround I can either:

Edit the page margins to, in order, 10, 50, 20, 20. This gives me a nice view of the text in the normal Safari view with the bottom bar, but I miss out on the percentage read indicator at the very bottom of the book page. This workaround works every time i want to read my book. Or

If after opening the book I open the viewer menu by tapping at the top, then hit table of contents and then scroll down, that opens Safari full screen mode (bottom bar disappears, top bar remains) and I get a nice view including the percentage read indicator. This workaround uses the standard page margin settings. This is my preferred view, but I have to do this every time I open the book to achieve it.

I realise this is probably a restriction of Apple - Safari, but is there anything else that can be done?

Thanks,
theengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:28 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah, unfortunately, as far as I know, Safari prevents webpages from initiating fullscreen mode themselves. The only way to do it is by scrolling, and obviously, scrolling does not work in the viewer, since it is a single screen view.

Your alternatives are basically to get into full screen mode before opening the viewer, or after, using a hack like the one you discovered to enter it after opening the viewer. There may also be some button in safari's settings somewhere to trigger fullscreen mode, but I have not found one (although since I only got to try for a couple of hours when someone lent me an ipad, I may have missed it).

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-18-2017 at 05:30 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2017, 05:32 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing you can try is using Chrome on iOS. Because of Apple's restrictions (they dont allow any non-Safari engines on iOS devices), it uses Safari's rendering engine under the hood, so it is not really Chrome, but it may not have this full screen limitation, since that is not enforced by the rendering engine.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 AM   #4
theengine
Enthusiast
theengine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi Kovid, thanks for your comments.

I have Opera installed on my iPhone, which I believe is Chrome based. It has an option in setting to allow Full Screen Mode, which seems to be identical to Safari Full Screen Mode in the way that is is activated.

Using the viewer on Opera results in exactly the same behaviour as Safari.

Cheers and thanks again for Calibre.
theengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

On iOS, all browsers are Safari based. The only question is if the full screening restriction is specific to the safari browser or imposed by the safari rendering engine. If the former, it might work in other browsers, if the latter it wont work in any browser on iOS.
Advert