Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #76
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
That said, it's still artifical light, it makes no difference to me. I want it to be like a book. Lighting makes no sense to me.
And, when it is dark and you want to read a physical book, what do you do?

Turn on a light.

Same thing with the lighting on eink ereaders. Except that, as rkomar explained, the light moves with the ereader. So you don't have to worry about shadows, glare or having to adjust your reading lamp each time you want to change the position that you are reading in, something especially appreciated by those who like to read in bed.

The frontlighting found on eink ereaders is a completely different experience from the backlighting found on most tablets and computers. I especially like the warm, comfort lighting on my Kobo Aura One. It makes reading at night a true pleasure, and doesn't strain the eyes at all. And it can be turned off.

I resisted ebooks for years because I associated the experience with that of reading from a computer screen. And then I discovered eink ereaders. And then they came out with frontlighting on eink ereaders. I can now read in direct sunshine or in a dark tent. I'm reading much more than I did before. I really suggest that you try it before you knock it. It's not at all like reading on a tablet.

Last edited by Question Mark; 04-28-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:16 AM   #77
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I really can't understand why anyone would need a front light or even an overhead light when reading in the dark. This makes no sense to me.

I use night vision goggles and everything is fine. I recommend the pair below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graphene-lenses2.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	156429  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #78
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The point for me is that it must be possible to disable the front light of the reader completely. That was and isn't possible for the Kindle Paperwhite 1 to 3.

I find the front light annoying but if it can be completely disabled I can ignore it.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #79
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The point for me is that it must be possible to disable the front light of the reader completely. That was and isn't possible for the Kindle Paperwhite 1 to 3.

You can't turn off the light on the PW3? That's crap.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #80
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92 & Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post

Turn on a light.

Same thing with the lighting on eink ereaders. Except that, as rkomar explained, the light moves with the ereader. So you don't have to worry about shadows, glare or having to adjust your reading lamp each time you want to change the position that you are reading in, something especially appreciated by those who like to read in bed.

The frontlighting found on eink ereaders is a completely different experience from the backlighting found on most tablets and computers. I especially like the warm, comfort lighting on my Kobo Aura One. It makes reading at night a true pleasure, and doesn't strain the eyes at all. And it can be turned off.

I resisted ebooks for years because I associated the experience with that of reading from a computer screen. And then I discovered eink ereaders. And then they came out with frontlighting on eink ereaders. I can now read in direct sunshine or in a dark tent. I'm reading much more than I did before. I really suggest that you try it before you knock it. It's not at all like reading on a tablet.
I see. The only experience I've got with frontlighting ereaders is with a Kindle I saw on the train, a guy on the seat next to me had it, and it looked so unnatural and lighted just as an LCD screen... Maybe with a good one like your Kobo I'd change my mind about them. To read in the dark with my Boox I use a normal eletric lamp and I'm fine.

@Dr. Drib Nice sense of humor
pochopsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #81
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I find the front light annoying but if it can be completely disabled I can ignore it.
Exactly. Finally somebody gets it. No idea why they don't allow you to disable it
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #82
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Turn on a light.

Exactly. That's why I don't need a front light on my E reader because I never read in the dark, ambient light/ over head light is enough for me. I have no use for an additional front light. Not sure why people don't seem to understand that. Just like I dont need a goddamn front light on my book.

I understand that it's different from a backlight but it can be still problematic for people with sensitive eyes because you look directly at it for a longer period of time. Ambient light or overhead light is different because you don't focus on it or look directly at it.

Don't worry I'm not giving up on E readers, there's plenty of readers who don't have a front light and at the end of the day even an E reader with lighting is better than LCD in comparison

All this could be easily resolved though by simply leaving it to the consumer/reader whether he or she wants to turn the front light on. No idea why they don't it that way.

Last edited by tracey1; 04-29-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #83
tracey1
Addict

Quote:

So thats actually true ? Have you tried turning it off on the kindle and it didnt work ? And how annoying was the lowest brightness level in your opinion ?
Old 04-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #84
lbschenkel
Enthusiast
lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Aura 1, Kindle DXG, Kindle PW2
My Kindle PW2 must be broken, then: when the light is set to 0, it's totally off. That has been the case since I first got it and in every subsequent firmware upgrade — in fact, that's how I always used it.
lbschenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #85
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's why I don't need a front light on my E reader because I never read in the dark, ambient light/ over head light is enough for me.
I guess that's where we differ. In the evening, when it is dark outside, I have lights on inside, but usually not set to a level where it would be comfortable to read. So, if I want to read a paper book or use my Max, which doesn't have a built in light, I need to turn on a reading light. If I then decide to switch positions, I often need to adjust the position of the reading lamp as well.

Quote:
I understand that it's different from a backlight but it can be still problematic for people with sensitive eyes because you look directly at it for a longer period of time. Ambient light or overhead light is different because you don't focus on it or look directly at it.
A white/off white paper page will reflect the light that is bouncing off it back into your eyes. That is why reading a book in direct sunlight can sometimes be a bit dazzling and overwhelming.

It would seem that you keep the ambient light in your home at a brighter level than I would keep it. I prefer not to light up the entire room to such a degree if I only need that kind of lighting in a small area.

The other thing about every lighted ereader I've had is that you can control the level of the light. Mine is usually less than 20%. I can't imagine ever needing it at 100%, but, I suppose, eyes vary greatly in their sensitivity to light.

Quote:
All this could be easily resolved though by simply leaving it to the consumer/reader whether he or she wants to turn the front light on. No idea why they don't it that way.
I don't believe I've ever had a lighted ereader where one couldn't switch off the light. Perhaps because I've never had a Kindle. Not sure why anyone would make an ereader where you couldn't turn off the light. Bizarre.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #86
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Technically, I have to wonder how true this is? Both a front light and ambient light are reflected light.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #87
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
I guess that's where we differ. In the evening, when it is dark outside, I have lights on inside, but usually not set to a level where it would be comfortable to read. So, if I want to read a paper book or use my Max, which doesn't have a built in light, I need to turn on a reading light. If I then decide to switch positions, I often need to adjust the position of the reading lamp as well.

A white/off white paper page will reflect the light that is bouncing off it back into your eyes. That is why reading a book in direct sunlight can sometimes be a bit dazzling and overwhelming.

It would seem that you keep the ambient light in your home at a brighter level than I would keep it. I prefer not to light up the entire room to such a degree if I only need that kind of lighting in a small area.

The other thing about every lighted ereader I've had is that you can control the level of the light. Mine is usually less than 20%. I can't imagine ever needing it at 100%, but, I suppose, eyes vary greatly in their sensitivity to light.

I don't believe I've ever had a lighted ereader where one couldn't switch off the light. Perhaps because I've never had a Kindle. Not sure why anyone would make an ereader where you couldn't turn off the light. Bizarre.
I can understand that. People have different demands snd needs at the end of the day. That's why I think it's best to leave it to the reader himself whether he wants to turn it off/on. It's not even hard to incorporate, that's why I find it really weird how kindle doesn't seem to give you that option.

I for instance have very (!) light-sensitive eyes, that's why I'm so into E-paper in the first place. I've even been hoping for a decent E paper computer monitor for some time now but currently we're only given 1 or two options (Dasung and soon Onyx) and both are really costly.

Also, I'm curious to know which E readers you had where you were able to switch off the light (completey) ?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:16 AM   #88
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Also, I'm curious to know which E readers you had where you were able to switch off the light (completey) ?
I can turn the light on my Kobo Aura One down to 0%, effectively turning it off, and on my original Kobo Aura, there is actually a physical button to turn on or off the light (in the settings, one can also control what level of brightness one wants).

I believe I was also able to turn off the light on my Kobo Aura HD, but I gave that away quite some time ago so I cannot currently check that to make sure.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #89
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So thats actually true ? Have you tried turning it off on the kindle and it didnt work ? And how annoying was the lowest brightness level in your opinion ?
It can't be disabled completely. You can check in a dark place (e.g. in the bath room).

I don't like front lights. It feels a little bit like LCD display. I find it very annoying but if you like reading on an LCD display you will be fine.

I have disabled the front light with a jailbreak for my Paperwhite 1 and 2 but for portable devices I use mainly the Kindle Oasis.

Strangely it is possible to disable it completely on the Oasis. Maybe it's a 'premium' feature.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #90
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbschenkel View Post
My Kindle PW2 must be broken, then: when the light is set to 0, it's totally off. That has been the case since I first got it and in every subsequent firmware upgrade — in fact, that's how I always used it.
Maybe you have installed a patch with a jailbreak and don't know it. I haven't used the latest firmware but it would be a surprise if they changed it.

Have you tried it in a really dark place?

Last edited by joblack; 04-30-2017 at 08:45 AM.