Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #31
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwardgd View Post
Those third world libraries and their tiny collections of books. Jesus, that must be a hell of a view down that nose of yours commenter honestly. And then someone's god makes and appearance! The comments, oh the comments. mobileread how ive missed you.
I do believe most of us were referring to the first world not the third world on libraries and schools.
Welcome back though I am fairly new and don't think I know you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Of course, if I ruled the world, copyright would be more like max(life,50 from publication). But I don't see that ever happening. Life+50 might.
And if I ruled the world, copyright would be Life + Forever
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And if I ruled the world, copyright would be Life + Forever
and if I ruled the world I'd hold all the copyrights!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
and if I ruled the world I'd hold all the copyrights!

Old 03-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #35
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
If I ruled the world, copyrights would need to be renewed for a modest fee every 28 years or so, so the Mouse could stay under copyright forever, but most materials would fall into the public domain once heirs stopped caring because the material was no longer profitable.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #36
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
If I ruled the world, copyrights would need to be renewed for a modest fee every 28 years or so, so the Mouse could stay under copyright forever, but most materials would fall into the public domain once heirs stopped caring because the material was no longer profitable.
We have a winner.
Well, I would make it every eight years.
And the fees charged across the copyright system would add up to enough to cover one hundred percent of the administration of the copyright system, enforcement included.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Three cheers for the Mouse
Old 03-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Preach on, sister, preach on!
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #39
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Harper Offering Schools Discounted 'Mockingbird'
Quote:
With Grand Central Publishing’s mass market paperback edition of To Kill a Mockingbird set to go out of print next month, HarperCollins is introducing a special price offer for schools on its trade paperback edition. Beginning April 27, HC will begin what is essentially a rebate program with its accounts that sell directly to K-12 schools, enabling them to buy its $14.99 trade paperback for what amounts to the mass market price of $8.99.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ckingbird.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ckingbird.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #41
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:

With Grand Central Publishing’s mass market paperback edition of To Kill a Mockingbird set to go out of print next month, HarperCollins is introducing a special price offer for schools on its trade paperback edition. Beginning April 27, HC will begin what is essentially a rebate program with its accounts that sell directly to K-12 schools, enabling them to buy its $14.99 trade paperback for what amounts to the mass market price of $8.99.
Weren't the schools getting the mass paper back at about 50% off?

If so, this just means that Harper has doubled the price to schools.

Not to mention increasing the cost from half off $15. Which means that this isn't a discount at all, but an actual increase over the previous deal.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Do we know Harper was charging half off for the trade version before?

They didn't publish the discontinued MMPB edition and I don't know if schools were paying Hachette half cover for that edition or not. The article in the OP speculates at that, but doesn't actually offer any real numbers just guess work.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #43
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Do we know Harper was charging half off for the trade version before?

They didn't publish the discontinued MMPB edition and I don't know if schools were paying Hachette half cover for that edition or not. The article in the OP speculates at that, but doesn't actually offer any real numbers just guess work.
I don't know for sure. I guess that's why I phrased it as a question.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #44
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Apparently, my school district is buying a certain number of copies before their distributor runs out. The book will then be phased out of high school curriculum to just the advanced class and then phased out entirely as required reading. The book may have been 'iconic' to a generation, but once it is no longer part of curriculum, it will die out of popularity.

I'd hazard a guess that many districts did not have the book in their curriculum in the first place. My sisters and I were in advanced classes in different districts some years apart and none of us had this as required reading in our classes. So, maybe its popularity is not as great as I thought. On the other hand, Catch-22 wasn't in there either- but we did get a summary of that one in class.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-18-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #45
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
On the other hand, Catch-22 wasn't in there either- but we did get a summary of that one in class.
It is funny your mention Catch 22. Our teacher asked for suggestions which book to use in our German class (was in Germany back then) and one smartbutt said Catch 22 and sold it to the teacher as view of the war from a pilot's viewpoint. Needless to say, she accepted without having read the book herself. She never again asked for any student input for book suggestions.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote