Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Kobo Desktop for PC v3.17 - new version of kepub?

There are reports that Kobo's newest version of Desktop for PC, v3.17, incorporates a new version of kepub. (Note this version may only be available when one downloads a new setup file from kobobooks.com)

My suggestion - don't upgrade to v3.17, or download the new setup file, unless needs must between now and the time that a few people (who know how) look behind the scenes.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
There are reports that Kobo's newest version of Desktop for PC, v3.17, incorporates a new version of kepub. (Note this version may only be available when one downloads a new setup file from kobobooks.com)

My suggestion - don't upgrade to v3.17, or download the new setup file, unless needs must between now and the time that a few people (who know how) look behind the scenes.
So far I've found that you can uninstall 3.17 and go back to 3.15. Otherwise, 3.17 has the annoying habit of doing endless syncs on my H2O -- goes through the usual steps up to checking for an upgrade and the popup closes but the sync spinner still spins. Left it for 30 minutes and still spinning. Downloading a kepub with 3.15 and 3.17 gives the same file (same filesize and checksums) so the changes seem to be in the desktop software and not in the kepubs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Just opened and it insists on updating itself. No way to say "No" or "Not Now" except crash the program, which I did. Anybody know how or even if one can turn off search for updates in this thing?
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:28 AM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Those looking to reinstall Kobo Desktop version 3.15:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150505.../kobosetup.exe
Old 08-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #5
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
Just opened and it insists on updating itself. No way to say "No" or "Not Now" except crash the program, which I did. Anybody know how or even if one can turn off search for updates in this thing?
Yep, I also don't like forced updates. There is no way to decline, postpone an update. IMHO, it isn't always convenient to update right away.
Just started the desktop app this morning: "Important update available."
You can choose to update, to update or to update.
I could only close the Kobo Desktop App by forcing it to close by using Windows Task Manager.
The Desktop App is unusuable until I update.
Not very customer friendly if you ask me.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Bump .....

Note: for those who are unsure about the implications of downloading this version - it means that if you end up with a drm kepub only version of an ebook you won't be able to import it into Calibre, because obok doesn't work with this new desktop version (as yet).

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 08-25-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Seems to be. I've just bought a book from the Kobo site and my friend Alf doesn't know how to handle it.

I really don't want to be trapped into using the new Kobo Desktop -- it keeps flooding me with "recommendations" of romance novels and other things I'm never going to buy, and in the new version won't let me dismiss them. (More than that, its constant checking and syncing and updating drives me nuts.)

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 08-27-2015 at 12:44 PM.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This post looks hopeful for the future of OBOK - fingers crossed.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote