Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Looking for a good reading app with embedded font & css support

I've been extremely happy with my Nook Tablet and then my Nook HD+ for the past several years but am looking to upgrading soon. I'm considering replacing my Nook HD+ with a 10" Samsung Galaxy tablet sometime over the next year and am curious about which reader software would be best for me to use. I'm used to having a built-in reader app that's based on ADE and has full support for embedded fonts, publisher formatting, etc. Now I see that Samsung has partnered with Kindle as their reader app of choice. I've had a Kindle and certainly have nothing at all against Amazon but I have a ton of epubs and I'd rather not have to convert them all to mobi/azw in order to be able to read them on my tablet. Can anyone steer me towards a great third party app that has support for embedded fonts, publisher css, etc?

Thanks.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Maybe there even is a nook app available. Mantano Reader supports what you are asking for. I use the paid version, so I don't know, which features the free one is missing (at least pdf support, which is very good in it). But reading epubs should be fine. The library is quite nice too.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I've also just found out that Aldiko also supports embedded fonts and publisher css. I wasn't aware that Mantano did. I will check out the free version of that one too.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
The website epubtest shows what apps support epub3 the best. The best I have seen for android is Gitden Reader 4.3.2.

http://epubtest.org/results/?view=simple#
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
The website epubtest shows what apps support epub3 the best. The best I have seen for android is Gitden Reader 4.3.2.

http://epubtest.org/results/?view=simple#
Of what relevance is epub3? Virtually no publishers use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
bfollowell
Fanatic

Well, so far I've checked out Aldiko and Gitden Reader. I'd have to say that Aldiko wins, hands down. Gitden Reader seemed to recognize most elements and embedded fonts just fine but it ignores any and all margin spacing as defined in the css. It forces all text to display from edge to edge, top to bottom, left to right, and looks horrible to me. I know some people prefer to read this way and remove all margins anyway but I think it makes the text look bunched up and I've never cared for that look. I don't like to waste space but I do prefer a little bit of margin around the edges. So far I've found no way to do this with Gitden Reader.

I still need to check out Mantano Reader but, even if I don't care for it, Aldiko seems to fit the bill for me. I'll download Mantano Reader and give it a try tonight.

Thanks for the replies guys.

- Byron
Old 10-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
bfollowell
Fanatic

Well, I downloaded and checked out Mantano. I like it as well. Now I just need to compare Aldiko and Mantano to figure out which has the best set of options. They both seem to do what I need them to so it really boils down to the extras; the stuff they do, that I don't even know that I want or need yet. I'll probably play with both for a while to see which best suits my needs. They both look very promising so far though.

- Byron

EDIT: OK, I've played with Mantano enough. I really love this reader. I'm going to make a few minor suggestions to the developers but this is an awesome little reader and I'm going to go ahead and start using it on my Nook HD+ now. I'm off to the play store to purchase the Premium version.

Last edited by bfollowell; 10-16-2014 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 AM   #8
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
I find the text rendering beautiful on mantano. If you buy the premium version, the pdf support is very good also. Very nice to use one app for all reading needs.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote