Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
How do I get a kepub out of Kobo Desktop

Okay, so this is the first time that I've bought a book without realising that it was kepub only ....

It's an O'Reilly book and I've bought it using the 50% off voucher.

The Aus Kobo website has now migrated to the 'new' look Kobo website which means that I didn't realise that I was buying a kepub only book

How do I get the book out of the Kobo Desktop and into Calibre?

When I look at Program Files, Kobo, I see that there is a kepub folder (and hoped that that was where the kepubs were - but it's an empty folder.

Appreciate any help ...
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should add that I have 2 Kobo accounts, one that I use to pay for ebooks and one that I use with my Glo (and never use to buy books)

The only books that I keep on my Glo get there via Calibre.

I never sync the account that I buy the books with and the Glo.

Is the only way to get the kepub only formatted book out of Kobo for desptop to download it onto my Glo and into Calibre that way?

Is there a way to sync 1 book only from Kobo desktop to the Glo? Or is it compulsory to sync all the books in that account?

What a pain in the a this all is. Stuff the darn 50% off special if you can't tell what format the book's in prior to purchase, eh!
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I recently stumbled on a thread in the Developers' Forum where they discussed that. (Can't find it now.) It's possible, but for geeks - they lost me very early on. Anyway, you might go looking around there a bit. If I remember correctly I found that thread via Google...

Concerning the new uninformative layout - I am still determined to contact Kobo customer service to enquire about the format of every single book I intend to buy when the new design turns up here. If everybody did that, I think they would soon mend their ways.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thanks Doubelshuffle

I've just sent Kobo Customer Care an email saying that I think that Kobo is in breach of Australian consumer laws because Kobo didn't state a fact pertinent to the sale of an ebook prior to purchase - that is they did not state what format the ebook was in.

I've asked for my money back ....

I'll report back how I get on.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Yes please. I'm very interested in learning how they deal with this.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
with Windows 7 it's C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub

However kEpubs are DRM protected....

Which O'Reilly book is it?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thanks Peter - I'll check it out.

The book is:

The Modern Web
By Gasston, Peter
Old 09-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
with Windows 7 it's C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub

However kEpubs are DRM protected....

Which O'Reilly book is it?
Peter, do I have to get this book into Calibre via my Glo?

Do you know if the Kobo desktop will allow only 1 book to be synced to the Glo? Or is there a lack of choice and all books have to be synced?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I had a similar issue a few years ago when I purchased a kepub only book. Like you I never sync to get books I always side load the epub through Calibre.
It took a few days for kobo to understand what my problem was (they kept telling me I didn't need an epub and gave me instructions on how to sync about a hundred times!!) but eventually they did offer to refund my purchase.
However as I was about to accept the refund they then decided that it was a mistake that the epub was missing and suddenly it appeared on the website for me to download.
I hope you are able to get a satisfactory solution.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thank you HarleyB ..... I hope that it's as simple as that, that they left off the format choice ....
Old 09-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Peter, do I have to get this book into Calibre via my Glo?

Do you know if the Kobo desktop will allow only 1 book to be synced to the Glo? Or is there a lack of choice and all books have to be synced?
You can't get the book into calibre if it's Kobo DRM protected....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Okay, I've just cracked it, thanks everyone

This is what I did - and now I have the formerly kepub only ebook as an epub in Calibre:

1. As Peter advised above, I went to the following folder/file on my PC:

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub

2. In that folder I noticed that all the kepubs had the same file date modified, today's date, which is, I assume, because Kobo Desktop re-loads them each time it's opened.

3. So I started with the first and last files and renamed them .epub. That is, I just added the extension .epub onto the end of the existing file.

4. Then I imported the files, one at a time, into my Sony Reader for PC which is my pre Calibre library for all epub books.

5. My book wasn't the first book, it was the last book - which I guessed means that the last book showing on that file listing is the most recenlty purchased.

6. I opened the book in Sony REader for PC and it was operating sort of slowly - but working and looking like it totally should look. Yippee

7. I imported the now epub book into Calibre, where Alf did it's thing, and opened it. It works perfectly

Yipppeeee ......
Old 09-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Okay, I've just cracked it, thanks everyone

This is what I did - and now I have the formerly kepub only ebook as an epub in Calibre:

1. As Peter advised above, I went to the following folder/file on my PC:

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub

2. In that folder I noticed that all the kepubs had the same file date modified, today's date, which is, I assume, because Kobo Desktop re-loads them each time it's opened.

3. So I started with the first and last files and renamed them .epub. That is, I just added the extension .epub onto the end of the existing file.

4. Then I imported the files, one at a time, into my Sony Reader for PC which is my pre Calibre library for all epub books.

5. My book wasn't the first book, it was the last book - which I guessed means that the last book showing on that file listing is the most recenlty purchased.

6. I opened the book in Sony REader for PC and it was operating sort of slowly - but working and looking like it totally should look. Yippee

7. I imported the now epub book into Calibre, where Alf did it's thing, and opened it. It works perfectly

Yipppeeee ......
It's good to know that Kobo did not add drm to a book that was supposed to be drm free. The solution was pretty much like working with other O'Reilly books where you had to replace the zip extention with epub to get them onto the next device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #14
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I hadn't realised that this book wasn't DRM free, so that's an interesting point.

I know O'Reilly sells DRM free, but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere on the Kobo site either pre or post purchase that this book was DRM free.

So, if this book had kepub DRM are you saying that I wouldn't have gotten away with just changing it from a kepub extension to an epub extension?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
So, if this book had kepub DRM are you saying that I wouldn't have gotten away with just changing it from a kepub extension to an epub extension?
Yes, that is what I am saying. It would be like changing the extension on a kindle book with drm to epub and expecting that to be enough to have it work on a Sony or Kobo or Nook without Alf magic.

I believe this was a simple error of the .zip files that normally one gets from O'Reilly not being uploaded into the content management system. I don't know if the publisher does this, or if Kobo does it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote