Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
AppleTard
AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Arthur C. Clarke ebooks?

I wanted to buy some of my favorite Arthur C. Clarke works as ebooks, to replace my tattered paperbacks. I search the Kindle Store, but it offers only a paltry selection (mostly of his later work).

Does anyone knows why this is the case? Is it a legal matter, or just market forces responding to low demand? I've even tried looking for torrents (shoot me!), but only found poorly formatted PDFs. I'd appreciate any light shed on this subject.
AppleTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Really? I see scads of ACC books available for Kindle, both old and more recent on both Amazon US and UK, including the 'classic' releases from sfgateway.com.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Delfic_Clearo
Delfic_Clearo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Similar problem with period sci-fi author Philip K. Dick. If you want "Do Androids", Amazon pushes the French language version. If you opt for the Kindle version, you get a rewrite at 'Level V', which is apparently restricted to a 1,800 word vocab, or some such. Hard to just get the d*&% book. And B&N, their search toy returns a null report. Go figure. I have no hypothesis other than greed and laziness. Or maybe Heinlein's Stand on Zanzibar has arrived. What's your theory?
Delfic_Clearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All (that I can think of) of Mr Clarke's books are available as eBooks on Amazon UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
Really? I see scads of ACC books available for Kindle, both old and more recent on both Amazon US and UK, including the 'classic' releases from sfgateway.com.
Scads!? I've just checked Amazon: No Childhood's End, no Space Odyssey, no Rendezvous with Rama, no The City and the Stars, no Fall of Moondust, no Songs of Distant Earth, no compilation of short stories (and no, audiobooks don't count). Sfgateway.com yielded nothing better.

Here's what is available on Amazon US (and not co-written with Stephen Baxter): The Sentinel, The Ghost from the Grand Banks, Clarke's Universe. This is a very poor selection, as far as I'm concerned.

If you do know where to find the books I mentioned on the 1st paragraph, please give us a link. I don't know about the OP, but I'd surely appreciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All (that I can think of) of Mr Clarke's books are available as eBooks on Amazon UK.
I absolutely hate georestrictions - totally forgot to check Amazon UK. But I just looked for Songs of Distant Earth, and it's not available on the UK either. So not everything is available, but at least it's an improvement over the US store. At some point in the future I'll have to get my fake UK address again

Last edited by miguel1626; 07-09-2012 at 01:02 PM.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
Scads!? I've just checked Amazon: No Childhood's End, no Space Odyssey, no Rendezvous with Rama, no The City and the Stars, no Fall of Moondust, no Songs of Distant Earth, no compilation of short stories (and no, audiobooks don't count). Sfgateway.com yielded nothing better.
I know this probably doesn't help you, but all the books you name are available at Amazon UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I know this probably doesn't help you, but all the books you name are available at Amazon UK.
Yep, I saw it afterwards and edited my post accordingly... At some point I'll get myself a UK proxy/fake address (again) in order to buy this stuff (I did it once to get a couple Stephen King books). Lame georestriction...
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I feel for you. I want David Eddings books. They are available in Amazon UK but not in the US (except for the few that I like least).
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I feel for you. I want David Eddings books. They are available in Amazon UK but not in the US (except for the few that I like least).
I agree, I like Eddings Books but can't find any ebook versions
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Uh huh. Would a little vpn help? And an exchange of gift vouchers to get round the credit card address problem? Just a thought.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Perhaps the publishers believe that all potential demand has been satisfied by the darknet already?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Can you use PayPal to buy from UK , or do the limitations apply too ?
Only I've bought from US like this.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
5 years ago, some were available on fictionwise as htmls. then the publishers got horsey and had them removed. So I have a legitimate City and the Stars, Deep Range and Sands of Mars...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've thought about using vpn but I don't know how to go about it. So I'm just waiting. I really don't know what the hold up is. It can't be that the author was against ebooks because they are available in the UK. It can't be because the publisher doesn't think they'd sell because I've seen a lot of less popular authors books made available.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
no The City and the Stars, no Fall of Moondust, no Songs of Distant Earth, no compilation of short stories Sfgateway.com yielded nothing better.
Did you check Books on Board? If found those three books there in ePub format, don't know if they have them in Kindle. Still, Apprentice Alf and Calibre could be your friend.

There are several others, as well, but no Space Odyssey books. I, too, hate georestrictions. There was a compilation of all ACC's short stories at the local Border's before before it closed, but I was hoping to find it in ebook ... guessed wrong.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote