Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #31
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I did a little experiment. I read for exactly an hour and it discharged by 1%. Is that good news? Now is at 91% so 9% discharged in exactly 24 hours. Again, is that good news?
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #32
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I think I misunderstood about how many days you had it and how many nights (I thought 2 nights, not only one). Generally speaking 9% in one day is too much, but you had wifi on some of that time (you said it didn't do the update automatically), plus you did an update, which takes some power.

As far as power used while you read, the page turns are what take the power. If you just leave it on a page, it takes very little power. So if you are experimenting and jumping around a lot, you are apt to use a lot more power than if you just sit and read normally.

However, after it sleeps all night see what it's at. It shouldn't be any less than 88 or 89, I figure. If it is, then I'd be concerned. If it's OK (88 or 89), use it for just reading for the day and see what it does. Should only drop 1-3%.

By the way, make sure wifi is OFF!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #33
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

During all this time the WiFi was entirely off. So last night after I finished reading, it had 91%, I left it for around 2 hours in which it dropped another 1%. So when I went to bed was 90%. Now, in the morning, is at 89%. So 2 percent dropped without using it. Damn.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #34
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That doesn't sound bad to me. Dropping that first 1% (from 91 to 90) in 2 hours doesn't necessarily mean anything, because it might have been almost ready to drop when you checked it when it was 91. Then dropping another 1% over night is not bad.

As I mentioned, USING it doesn't necessarily use much more power than not using it (when it is sleeping). If all you are doing is reading one page after another in a book (as opposed to jumping around, checking definitions, etc), I have found that you don't use much more or less power than it uses while sleeping.

You are probably checking it too often, so it seems that it is changing more than it is. Only check it about every 12 hours and see how it looks. For example, it was 89% when you got up (which I had given as a number that would indicate it was GOOD in my post last night). So, use it or let it sleep during the day, and then check it tonight before you go to bed. Then check it the next morning.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #35
AlexGrama
Writer

Thank you RAH for your patience.

I read for about 2 hours and dropped to 87%. So 2 percent in two hours. The font is set at the second size, the margins are wide and the line spacing is set at the one in the middle.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #36
RAH
Guru

Hmmm, that does seem like kind of a lot, but again, it is hard to tell because you might be looking just before it is about to drop one number, so then later it looks like 2 when it is really only a little more than 1. I'd say wait till tonight and see what it is and then tomorrow morning. That will be a good test.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #37
AlexGrama
Writer

Ok, I finished a book thus I'm in no mood to read anymore. Until tonight, I will not touch it. Now is at 86%. We'll see.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #38
RAH
Guru

Another factor I forgot to mention - even a well-behaved Touch that is brand-new takes some time for its battery to be broken in. I think that might be what we are seeing here.

A Touch that has the rapid-draining problem will drop like 25% every day. I think your new Touch just needs to be broken in some. We will know better tonight and then tomorrow morning.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #39
AlexGrama
Writer

Good news. It's 23.00 PM and it's still at 86%. I hope that in the morning it will be the same.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #40
AlexGrama
Writer

So it dropped by 1% during the night, now being at 85%. Is that good news?

EDIT: I don't think it matters but until now the status below the "Battery" title in settings was "Discharging" and now it shows "Not charging" which are completely different things.

Last edited by AlexGrama; 04-23-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #41
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
That is good news. Sounds like you have no problems at all.

My bad battery experience involved a constant drop of about 1 percent per hour, whether in use or asleep. So it would lose something like 10 percent overnight even in sleep mode. It would hit zero in 4 days, tops.

Losing 1 or 2 percent overnight is normal.

Enjoy your new reader and stop checking it every couple hours. You are fine.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #42
AlexGrama
Writer

Thank you. It's really a fabulous reader. I hope I won't encounter any problems in the future. I will keep you up to date regarding any odd behavior.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #43
AlexGrama
Writer

I noticed that altough it looses only 1 percent or nothing at all during its sleep, I read for about one hour and a half or maybe two, tops and it dropped 4%. It seems a bit much. At this pace, it won't last 1 month.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #44
RAH
Guru

I agree with soondai that your reader is fine. I think that it is using more power right now because the battery is new. You will need to go thru several regular charging cycles (after it gets to below 30%) before it is completely normal. This is often the case with a new device, not just Nooks.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #45
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
In my experience with my working Nook ST, it'll discharge about 2-2.5% charge per day left in on, in standby mode. It will also discharge about 1% per hour reading. So in an average day, I generally read about 1hr, so I generally lose about 3% charge per day. If I don't use it at all, it'll still lose about 2% per day.

I have also found that when I charge it to 100%, for whatever reason, I generally lose about 3-4% charge overnight (I generally charge it in the evening) even if I don't use it, but it "steadies" at about 96% charge after than and only uses 2% per day in standby, 1% per hour reading.

I've also found, even using a wall adaptor, if it is drained to the point of shutting off, it takes a good 30-40 minutes on the wall adaptor charging before it allows itself to power on, probably longer on just a computer USB port. So the 15 minute message is very inaccurate.

For total battery life, my one experience running it from a full charge to 19% before charging I got a little over 30 days of use out of it. I think roughly 35 days, reading probably about 75 minutes a day on average over that period. Since the thing is rated at 30 minutes a day for 60 days, I'd say that is pretty decent.

If I read more in a day I get more hours of reading. If I did a "cram" session where I sit down and read for 8-12hrs in a day (sadly, with 3 young children that hasn't happened in years) I could probably get 70-80hrs of reading in before the battery was flat is my guess over 5-7 days, but because it discharges in standby some, I normally am getting about 40hrs or so of reading over about a month, which is still pretty good (my ipad 2 discharges less in standby than my Nook ST seems to, though the iPad 2's battery is 4.5x larger, but I might get 13-14hrs of reading on my iPad 2 if I am lucky and have the screen brightness at my normal setting, which is about 30% brightness and that is with 4.5x the battery capacity of the nook ST).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote