Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2023, 02:05 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Kobo Jumps Their Prices

I see Kobo jumped their prices on most of their models by $10 (in the U.S.) — not sure when. I guess they had to do what they had to do but that puts the Nia at a huge disadvantage (hardware wise) when compared to the "All New" Kindle (Basic). 300 dpi vs 212 dpi and the Nia is $10 more. I thought the Nia would be dropping in price, not going up. I guess the Clara HD spoiled me at $120, but the 2E at $140 is fair, though (for those who like bigger screens) that puts it at the same price as the 6.8" Kindle Paperwhite (when not on sale).

Have Kobo's prices gone up worldwide, or is this U.S. thing?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 02:18 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
sage was £30 off in UK until a few days ago
maybe clearing out old stock ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2023, 03:47 AM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I see Kobo jumped their prices on most of their models by $10 (in the U.S.) — not sure when. I guess they had to do what they had to do but that puts the Nia at a huge disadvantage (hardware wise) when compared to the "All New" Kindle (Basic). 300 dpi vs 212 dpi and the Nia is $10 more. I thought the Nia would be dropping in price, not going up. I guess the Clara HD spoiled me at $120, but the 2E at $140 is fair, though (for those who like bigger screens) that puts it at the same price as the 6.8" Kindle Paperwhite (when not on sale).

Have Kobo's prices gone up worldwide, or is this U.S. thing?
I believe there was a sale going on. All the models seem to be at their usual MSRP for me in the US store. Sometimes you can find a better deal for the models on Walmart or Amazon, as you probably already know.

However, I agree that $99 should be the Nia's normal price point because of the Kindle.

Last edited by Cootey; 03-01-2023 at 03:50 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 05:49 AM   #4
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
In the UK, the Nia is now £94.99 which is £5 more than last August when I purchased mine. Cannot comment on the other models pricing.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 05:52 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Here in Sweden eReaders don't sell much at all. I don't know the prices of all Kobos, but I have kept track on the Libra2 and it has been pretty stable since release, with the occational temporary price drop. Much to my surprise it's pretty equal to US prices.
The Libra2 is definitely more bang for bucks than the Kindle Oasis that costs quite a bit more, but too many people here just think that eReader=Kindle and don't realize that with the Kobo you can (for example) borrow library books without stripping DRM, converting or whatever you need to do with Kindles. And as for Amazon books, well, if you want to read in Swedish that's not the place to go!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2023, 06:26 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, prices have gone up. Shame really.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:26 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

is just sale prices ending over here. e.g. the sage price here went down by £30 a couple of weeks back. not its gone back to the previous stable price. Amazon do similar pricing stunts with their devices
Old 03-01-2023, 06:30 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
is just sale prices ending over here. e.g. the sage price here went down by £30 a couple of weeks back. not its gone back to the previous stable price. Amazon do similar pricing stunts with their devices
The Libra 2 is more expensive then when I bought mine. It was not on sale when I bought it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:14 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard

I had been tracking sage price since Xmas, as I gave my forma to my son.

It was 269 for weeks, then went to a sale price of 219 for a week, then reverted.

I noticed that every on line retailer moved their prices down and back up on exact same days and by the exact same amount

Seems like price fixing collusion to be, but probably legal
Old 03-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I believe there was a sale going on. All the models seem to be at their usual MSRP for me in the US store. Sometimes you can find a better deal for the models on Walmart or Amazon, as you probably already know.

However, I agree that $99 should be the Nia's normal price point because of the Kindle.
The price of the Libra 2, Sage, Nia and Clara 2E all went up by $10 (I think in the U.S. and Canada). I guess it happened at the beginning of January, except for the Clara 2E that went up at the end of January. I just hadn't been paying attention.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...ore-expensive/

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...kobo-clara-2e/

As for the Nia, it has lesser hardware specs compared to the Kindle. I think its price should be $90 or even less.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:41 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I had been tracking sage price since Xmas, as I gave my forma to my son.

It was 269 for weeks, then went to a sale price of 219 for a week, then reverted.

I noticed that every on line retailer moved their prices down and back up on exact same days and by the exact same amount

Seems like price fixing collusion to be, but probably legal
The Sage was originally $259.99. It jumped to $269.99 in early January.

(Screen shot from Archive.org -- December 8, 2022.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20221208..._campaign=Sage

Maybe this partly why they run these sales, so they raise the price when the sale ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sage.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	200063  

Last edited by rcentros; 03-02-2023 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:32 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Looks like Walmart found a stash of new Clara HDs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Clar...5?athbdg=L1600

Now that a new HD is $20 cheaper than a 2E would you be tempted to buy it instead?
Old 03-03-2023, 01:32 AM   #13
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Sage was originally $259.99. It jumped to $269.99 in early January.

(Screen shot from Archive.org -- December 8, 2022.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20221208..._campaign=Sage

Maybe this partly why they run these sales, so they raise the price when the sale ends.

Well spotted. I hadn’t thought to check with archive.org. I verified the prices with blog posts and reviews.

With everything going up in price across-the-board, we shouldn’t be surprised that Kobo hiked their prices up. We should probably just be surprised that they waited so long to do it.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 03:44 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
With everything going up in price across-the-board, we shouldn’t be surprised that Kobo hiked their prices up. We should probably just be surprised that they waited so long to do it.
Maybe, but their main competition is Amazon and (especially at the lower end) Amazon has better hardware specs. I realize Amazon is subsidizing their Kindles, but Rakuten could do the same with Kobo. They both sell books and Rakuten is not a small retailer.

Undeniably better specs with Nia vs Basic Kindle, PaperWhite vs Clara 2E depends on whether you would like a bigger screen or not.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:33 AM   #15
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Kobo Libra 2 has been pretty stable here in Sweden. Sage is similar.

patrik is offline   Reply With Quote