Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Visual disabilities and IrexDR1000 series

Does anybody know about using the IrexDR1000 series for people with visual disabilities?

If I take a plain text file (for example from gutenberg), how big can I make the letter size to read it in the IrexDR1000?

Thank you.
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sorry, but I don't know about the DR-1000. But I do know about vision problems, and wish you the best with all my heart.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
The maximum font size is 34 pt which gives a capital letter of around 1/4 inch or about 5 to 6 mm. I hope that helps.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by godel10 View Post
Does anybody know about using the IrexDR1000 series for people with visual disabilities?

If I take a plain text file (for example from gutenberg), how big can I make the letter size to read it in the IrexDR1000?

Thank you.
(Oops, looks like pthwaite already answered it )

Text size goes up to 34pt. This currently applies to plain text, html & mobi.

PDFs can be scaled up to 200%, but the result depends on the original font size which you can't change in PDFs. (the selection zoom tool also available doesn't seem to scale past 200% either at this point - out of memory)

As a general comment: with some work, the (cheaper) Sony reader can be convinced to display a similar size but due to the small screen, even in Landscape mode, the limited number of words displayed at one time doesn't make for a fluent reading experience.

See attachments, first text, then PDF. Sorry, I didn't have the standard quarter at hand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TextLarge.png
Views:	394
Size:	634.3 KB
ID:	17248   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFlarge.png
Views:	376
Size:	662.5 KB
ID:	17249  

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 10-24-2008 at 12:42 AM.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
Text size goes up to 34pt. This currently applies for plain text, html & mobi.
This is very disapointing, since this is exactly the same largest font size as on the iLiad. In fact the default font looks better (bolder) on the iLiad, see the attached screenshot. We really need FBReader, which has no such limit on the font size and can use better fonts as well. The DR is 1.33x larger than the iLiad, so at a minimum the largest font could be about 54 pt. I tried 48pt on the iLiad in landscape mode with FBReader, and it was very usable (it would be better still on the DR in portrait mode because there would be more lines per page). Most likely 72pt (1 inch nominal font height) would be ok on the DR in landscape mode.

For PDFs, you could try FeebBook's custom PDF option to see how large fonts would look. I don't know if they have a native landscape option though (I guess making the paqe size to be wider than it is high would do).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_MP_large.png
Views:	317
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	17254  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is very disapointing, since this is exactly the same largest font size as on the iLiad. In fact the default font looks better (bolder) on the iLiad, see the attached screenshot. We really need FBReader, which has no such limit on the font size and can use better fonts as well. The DR is 1.33x larger than the iLiad, so at a minimum the largest font could be about 54 pt. I tried 48pt on the iLiad in landscape mode with FBReader, and it was very usable (it would be better still on the DR in portrait mode because there would be more lines per page). Most likely 72pt (1 inch nominal font height) would be ok on the DR in landscape mode.
We didn't see any use in having even bigger text, but this is just a limitation of the GUI. There is no technical reason not to have bigger font sizes. If there are people that do need bigger font sizes, that would be very easy to add.

The font-face is limited by fonts that we can freely distribute without paying royalties. Installing new fonts is very easy. I'm sure someone like Adam B. could create an installer for that quite easily.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
If there are people that do need bigger font sizes, that would be very easy to add.
There is a market for a "large print" ebook reader, and for some people the largest practical font on the 6" devices isn't big enough. I don't think there is any doubt that the DR1000S has the potential to be the best large print ebook reader available, and even the high price (while excluding some) isn't necessarily a barrier because there are no good alternatives.

See E-books as the new large ‘print’: An eye doctor speaks out and Does the new CyBook support ultra-large fonts (>72 points) ?.

The iLiad has the potential to be the 2nd best large print ebook reader, and with FBReader it may be better than the DR1000S today. What the Java MobiPocket Reader (on the iLiad or DR1000S) are missing is hyphenation for optimizing short line lengths but more importantly a good font at large sizes or an "everything bold" option (which is available on the Cybook and with FBReader on the iLiad).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
For PDFs, you could try FeebBook's custom PDF option to see how large fonts would look. I don't know if they have a native landscape option though (I guess making the paqe size to be wider than it is high would do).

Your attachment is about the size I use on my device. 3 or 4 words per line. But that's fine, as long as my eyes can still see that. (Couldn't see to read at all Aug-Sept, between the 2 most recent operations.) What I'm finding as I've increased fonts is that I will do just about anything to keep using my reader. Zeroed the margins to give more word space. Keep the backlight turned up high and carry an extra charger. If I were at home during the day, I would find a way to read PDF's on the big screen TV. You do whatever it takes.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!

Maybe I can explain better with math. I'm reading Maelstrom by Peter Watts, part 2 of the free TOR Starfish series. The original header is sort of rolled into the text, so I'm on page 314/353, but on my reader with the punched up fonts, I'm on page 1551/1752. The jumbo fonts make the books large, but readable.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
First of all thank you for all your answers.

Quote:
If there are people that do need bigger font sizes, that would be very easy to add.
I am sure that this is worth doing.

I never realized about this possible use for A4-devices, but before starting this thread I talked to a friend with visual disabilities and he was unable to read the bigger font in my Sony Librie (more or less like the Sony PRS). In other words, I think this people would be very happy (and it is also a market for the sellers of the device) if anyone tune the device to have really really huge fonts.
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There is no limit on how big the font can be.
You simply create a pdf file with really big font and load it to the reader.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
True, but the limit is in visual perception per screen. Balancing the number of words per line versus how large the font. A font big enough for 2 words per line is very awkward, but 3 or 4 is readable. And "zoom" functions lose their usefulness when the line zooms larger than the reading space, because it would again be very awkward to have to scroll left/right as well as up/down.

I'm very glad we are having this discussion here. MR is influential, and perhaps by airing some of our disabilities, someone out there will find a way to address them.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Except sometimes the book is not available as a PDF (i.e. Mobi)

Or the book could be protected (PDF or otherwise)

And that's assuming that the person is technically savvy enough and has the time and patience to re-compile their files as the kind of modified PDF you describe. Not to mention the legality of cracking the DRM on a protected book...

It's much more elegant if the reader itself can simply display it at an appropriate size. Especially if the screen is still able to display more than 3-4 word in a single line, like the DR1000 (esp. in Landscape mode).

I personally don't have any use for it, but it would certainly be a unique feature that could draw in more customers for iRex.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
The font-face is limited by fonts that we can freely distribute without paying royalties. Installing new fonts is very easy. I'm sure someone like Adam B. could create an installer for that quite easily.
That would be a boon! Since text, HTML and esp. Mobi are only displayed using a sans-serif font. Ludic/recreational reading is considerably more pleasant to read and flowing in a serif font.

Royalty-free and open-source solutions are certainly available:
Example: Bitstream Vera