Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 03-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
2nd generation UMPCs make a splash

If you thought that you were done hearing about UMPCs/Origami devices, then you were sorely mistaken. Not only are we hearing about some great improvements, but we hear of some significant signs new products from the CeBit event going on in Germany.

Here is a brief rundown of some of the UMPC news that struck me as most exciting:
* Samsung Q1 Ultra (the rumored Q2) has been announced with higher resolution screen, better Aero support and a thumb keyboard.
* There will be a dedicated line of Intel processors for UMPCs that will bring extremely low energy consumption and better performance. Other components such as screens will be improving quickly also.
* Multiple new devices will be announced in April, including the famous "Yahoo prototype" form factor.
* A new Intel processor and chipset will be behind the Samsung Q1 Ultra, and will also be the impetus for a number of other new devices with better battery llife and Vista support.

It's becoming a lot more exciting, but also frustrating for those of us that are increasingly anxious to get a UMPC or small tablet PC into our home on a limited budget. The ever present "just around the corner" devices are certainly looming large for the UMPC buyer! Or is it just me that wants to buy one, and can't justify spending on another better model every year?

For more interesting looks at UMPCs, check out these sites:
UMPC Portal
JkOnTheRun
GottaBeMobile
UberTablet