Notices

Old 01-08-2024, 01:35 PM   #1
PiperKev
Enthusiast
PiperKev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Help with Standard Ebooks feed

Hi!

I'm pretty unskilled when it comes to coding, so I'd like to ask for some help. To access the Atom feed for Standard Ebooks, I have to authenticate with my email address. The format it uses is "email@domain@http://standardebooks.org/feeds/atom/all", which works fine in a browser but, when I use it in a recipe, the resulting download only contains:

Failed feed: Standard Ebooks Atom Feed

HTTP Error 401: Unauthorized

Is there a way to enable simple authentication like this in a recipe? I've looked through the User Guide, and it's Greek to me!
If anyone can help, I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Cheers,
Kevin
PiperKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:37 AM   #2
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
Code:
    def get_browser(self):
        return BasicNewsRecipe.get_browser(self, user_agent='common_words/based')
try adding this or else use user_agent of your browser and its request headers if any.
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:24 AM   #3
PiperKev
Enthusiast
PiperKev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I have no idea what that means, but I added it to the recipe and it didn't work. I still get "HTTP Error 401: Unauthorized" in the body of the epub.

This is the recipe so far (email redacted):

#!/usr/bin/env python
# vim:fileencoding=utf-8
from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe

class AdvancedUserRecipe1704803983(BasicNewsRecipe):
title = 'Standard Ebooks Atom Feed'
oldest_article = 7
max_articles_per_feed = 100
auto_cleanup = True
def get_browser(self):
feeds = [
('Standard Ebooks Atom Feed', 'https://********@*****.***@standardebooks.org/feeds/atom/all'),
]

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkn0wn View Post
Code:
    def get_browser(self):
try adding this or else use user_agent of your browser and its request headers if any.
PiperKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:08 PM   #4
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
I wont know what the problem is unless i try it myself.

this is an ebooks website.. i dont know what this feed will get you but if you want public ebooks, try using the "Get books" function in calibre toolbar menu or many other websites that provide them.
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, receipe, standard ebooks