Notices

Old 01-20-2021, 03:22 AM   #1111
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball6 View Post
So my problem is 1.17 will not let me register. It asks to log in, which it has not done in the past and at first it said I needed a code which it sent but the log in button does not work. I installed the current version and 1.17 on top of that and now when I enter my password it says invalid. I think Amazon has stopped letting people use the older versions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post

*edit* Ok it seems to be working now, after installing 1.26 and then 1.24 (both of which didn't allow removal of drm) and then finally 1.17 again. This time I didn't even have to register as I had already registered on either 1.26 or 1.24. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough.
Quote:
This worked for me, thanks
I have this same problem. I will try this work around although if anyone else has any other ways, would like to hear about it. Just out of interest, @pinball6 which country do you live in? I'm in Australia. Wondering if it is country specific as when tried to log in, had to use the international amazon option as no Australian specific option, which I could have sworn was there last time.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #1112
pinball6
pinball6 began at the beginning.

Device: kindel
I'm in the US.
pinball6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2021, 07:33 PM   #1113
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
I'm in the US.
Ok. Do you have multiple Amazon accounts for different countries?

Just to confirm you only logged into 1.26 and deleted and then opened 1.24 and deleted without disabling KFX and then opened 1.17? As already logged in with those, did need to log in with 1.17. And do you have to log into both or is just one enough?

Inukami
Old 01-21-2021, 12:11 AM   #1114
pinball6
pinball6 began at the beginning.

Device: kindel
No,
I have saved all the downloads of some of the updates and I have these three. I keep backups.
I installed 1.26 logged in. Did not remove it.
Then installed 1.24 over it and logged in.
Finally 1.17 over that and finally I was able to log into 1.17. Which I could not do with 1.17 at all.
I have the most recent Caliber plugin and never did anything to it.
pinball6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #1115
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
No,
I have saved all the downloads of some of the updates and I have these three. I keep backups.
I installed 1.26 logged in. Did not remove it.
Then installed 1.24 over it and logged in.
Finally 1.17 over that and finally I was able to log into 1.17. Which I could not do with 1.17 at all.
I have the most recent Caliber plugin and never did anything to it.
FYI - I only need to log into 1.26 and then 1.17 worked properly. I didn't need to install 1.24 as well.

As using Mojave, is it okay to use most recent version of Calibre 5.11 and Alf 6.8.0? I'm still using 4.23.

I mentioned this on another post, but appears my Reminders and Calendar syncing is broken using Mojave and iOS 14+. So may need to update computer to Catalina/Big Sur and Kindle for Mac anyway....?

Inukami
Advert
Old 02-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #1116
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
As using Mojave, is it okay to use most recent version of Calibre 5.11 and Alf 6.8.0? I'm still using 4.23.
You would need to use the Preview/Beta 7.0.3 DeDRM. 6.8.0/6.8.1 are Python 2 and will not work calibre 5/Python 3.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:04 AM   #1117
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
With Catalina or Big Sur, you need Kindle for Mac 1.26 or later. But KFX format downloads can be avoided on even the latest version. See odamizu's post for details.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:13 AM   #1118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
With Catalina or Big Sur, you need Kindle for Mac 1.26 or later. But KFX format downloads can be avoided on even the latest version. See odamizu's post for details.
Another and (IMHO) better solution is to buy a refurbished Kindle from Amazon and never again have to worry about KindleforMAC or KindleforPC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #1119
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another and (IMHO) better solution is to buy a refurbished Kindle from Amazon and never again have to worry about KindleforMAC or KindleforPC.
Yeah, I bought a scratch & dent Kindle Touch that I never use way back when Kindle for PC first started using KFX format as an alternative.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #1120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Yeah, I bought a scratch & dent Kindle Touch that I never use way back when Kindle for PC first started using KFX format as an alternative.
I was going to look for a cheap Kindle so I would not be stuck with K4PC and it's ever growing issues. But I inherited a PW3 so no need to buy a Kindle. I do sometimes use the PW3 when I get an eBook from Amazon that's just too much hassle to convert to ePub because the code is a sloppy nightmare.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-17-2021 at 08:43 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:30 AM   #1121
lkmiller
Laura

I have an Oasis that I do use sometimes. But the Touch doesn't support KFX. So even books downloaded directly with it are KF8. That way I should still be good if they ever messed with "download & transfer via USB". If they ever shut off all access to older formats, I'd give up on them.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #1122
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Hi, I've just bought a book from Amazon and on opening Kindle app on Mac (High Sierra) it updated even though updates were switched off. I tried going back to a backup and after pasting command via Terminal to not download KFX and now although the book appears in my Library, the download option is greyed out.

Everything worked a few weeks ago, can anyone help. I saw to download 1.17 but download link doesn't work, has anybody more updates to save me reading all 75 pages?

It has now autoupdated to 1.30.0 and Download is available, right click on book Download doesn't appear to do anything. Guessing it's because I've blocked KFX downloads? Is it possible that the book is not available as anything other than KFX?

Well I've managed to download an AWZ file (or so I thought as that is the extension that showed) but get the following when opening in Calibre calibre, version 3.48.0
ERROR: Could not open e-book: Failed to read book, Calibre Library/Unknown/B08WLTWKBF EBOK (865)/B08WLTWKBF EBOK - Unknown.azw click "Show Details" for more information

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 290, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/oeb/iterator/book.py", line 64, in extract_book
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/conversion.py", line 246, in __call__
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plugins/mobi_input.py", line 37, in convert
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/mobi/reader/mobi6.py", line 85, in __init__
KFXError: This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed.

The book I bought is The Answer by David Icke, newly released on Kindle. Any help appreciated as I use Kobo not Kindle and need to get it into Calibre and converted.

Last edited by Lyn2012; 02-16-2021 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Update
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #1123
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
It has now autoupdated to 1.30.0 and Download is available, right click on book Download doesn't appear to do anything. Guessing it's because I've blocked KFX downloads?
I sometimes see downloads get hung up for no apparent reason. Exiting the Kindle app and restarting seems to clear that condition.

Quote:
Is it possible that the book is not available as anything other than KFX?
That should not be the case with this particular book.

Books available only in KFX produce an error message if you attempt to download them with KFX disabled.

Quote:
Well I've managed to download an AWZ file (or so I thought as that is the extension that showed) but get the following when opening in Calibre...
KFXError: This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed.
The book was downloaded in KFX format so your attempt to block KFX was not successful. You need to remove the download and try it again.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:44 AM   #1124
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Thanks for the reply. I've just done the following:
  • deleted the book in Kindle app
  • closed Kindle app
  • deleted anything else downloaded into My Kindle Content folder yesterday
  • re did the Terminal command "chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test"
  • quit Terminal
  • opened Kindle app
  • right clicked on book and selected download, nothing happens and with book selected File menu has Download greyed out
  • checked My Kindle Content folder and the only download today is book_asset.db

What have I missed?

Just tried right click Download again while watching My Kindle Content folder. A folder appears for for a fraction of a second then disappears again, far too quickly to see exactly what it is! Checking Trash folder shows nothing.

Well, I downloaded 1.17 again, created a new My Kindle Content folder, had already disabled updates using Terminal, dragged 1.30 app to Trash, installed 1.17, registered and linked to new content folder, right clicked Download, and this time it download AZW properly...and went into Calibre and converted normally. Oh and I ignored text from Amazon asking me to Tap link to respond, yesterday I tapped this link, maybe that did something?

SUCCESS!!!

Many thanks to all who added info on this thread.

Last edited by Lyn2012; 02-17-2021 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added info...more info
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:45 AM   #1125
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
What have I missed?
My Mac experience is very limited. Perhaps a knowledgeable Kindle for Mac user will offer some advice.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc