Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
vogon_poet
vogon_poet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Sony Connect Software Refuses to Launch?

Hi. I just got a Sony Reader for Christmas, and after trying to install the software I am extremely irritated. I am using a Mac, emulating Virtual PC, and for whatever inexplicable reason it refuses to work. It installs perfectly well, but when I click on the icon the CPU runs for a few seconds and then stops. The software does not launch. Sony Customer Service is closed. I would like to fix this problem so I can get my $50 before it expires.

This is my first post to the site, and as far as I can see you are all helpful and nice. I figured I'd register and try to get some help from someone who isn't paid to screw me over.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
vogon_poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, vogon_poet. (love the moniker, by the way )

Thanks for your kind words, regarding the Community. I'm afraid I can't help you with your question, as I'm not a MacUser, but I did want to welcome you (and I couldn't resist commenting on your handle ). I expect one of the highly skilled Mac using MobileReaders will happen by before too long, though.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
vogon_poet

Unfortunately, vogon_poet reflects my poetry pretty accurately.

Having tried to web chat with sony's customer service, it took me 10 minutes to explain why i was emulating windows. I can understand that they were pissed off because it was christmas, but still... the least they could have done was to tell me that I should call back tomorrow or something.

I'll try calling phone customer service right now, and see what they can do.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is the Mac running Virtual PC a "supported platform" for Connect? It has very specific requirements - eg it runs under Windows XP but not Windows 2000. Remember it's not just an application - it has device drivers and all sorts in it, which emulators are not at all good at dealing with, generally speaking. I'm sure that Virtual PC is the culprit, rather than the Connect software.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
vogon_poet

Mmm... that's true.

Still, Virtual PC seems to recognize the reader fine. (It shows up in the crazy control panel thing with all the lists of hardware to be installed, and when I click it it says that it works properly). It does say on the support page that dual-boot systems are not supported, although I'm inclined not to trust that because it says that if you built your own computer it won't work, which is B.S...

Customer support has no idea what they are doing, either.

I guess I'll have to try it on a friend's Windows machine, then.
Advert
Old 02-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
sungil
sungil began at the beginning.

Exactly same problem on Win XP

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem on my pc.
it's not Virtual PC ...but real windows xp.
I'm trying to figure out why..-.-
sungil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:23 AM   #7
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
I am running a Mac Mini Dual booting to WinXP via boot camp and the connect software works fine. which VM of windows are you using.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #8
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle Paperwhite 3
He is using Virtual PC, as he already mentioned. He is on a PowerPC Mac (G3, G4 or G5), just as I am. I also tried the Sony Connect software with Virtual PC, and it does indeed not startup. So you need a 'real' PC to run the Sony software. Bootcamp is not a VM, with it your Intel Mac runs like a 'real' PC. Did anybody try Connect with Parallels?
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
jalm1
jalm1 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungil
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem on my pc.
it's not Virtual PC ...but real windows xp.
I'm trying to figure out why..-.-

i just got the reader, the software worked for the first 2 days, and now it wont load. i have a real PC running XP pro. i have restated and uninstalled and reinstalled but no luck. ANy ideas?
jalm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
Connect works fine with Parallels -- maybe this gives you all a reason to upgrade to intel-macs!
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalm1
i just got the reader, the software worked for the first 2 days, and now it wont load. i have a real PC running XP pro. i have restated and uninstalled and reinstalled but no luck. ANy ideas?
Is your reader plugged in? I almost never reboot my PC, and sometimes the USB port gets into a state that the new CONNECT Reader software doesn't like. Particularly likely if I've been charging for a long time. When I run CONNECT Reader just silently quits, as though I'd never clicked on it. Sony programming technique doesn't seem to implement error messages.

Try disconnecting the reader, rebooting Windows (shut down and press button, not the restart quicky way), and running CONNECT Reader. If that works, connect your reader cable. If CONNECT Reader gets stuck or quits, you'll need to reset the reader (hole under the cover on the back). There are degrees of reset depending on the state your reader is in, see other threads.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
eppythacher
Connoisseur
eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.

Device: prs-500, prs-650
Here is all the troubleshooting i know about the sony connect software, sorry it's a mess but i got my software running eventually :

4) Right-click on “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\kinoma” and select “delete”

5) Right-click on “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Marlin” and select “delete”

With thanks to Steve and Andy at Sony, my reader has returned to operation!

To recap the symptoms, the CONNECT Reader software and PRS500 worked fine separately. When the reader is connected the CONNECT Reader software freezes up. Once the reader is disconnected, both work OK. Alas, that means no new books or files. Arrgh.

The following things were NOT the problem, though worth checking first: the cable, the cradle, the Memory Stick, the drivers, the CONNECT Reader software. It's of note that uninstalling the CONNECT Reader software does not delete the library on disk, as some folks had led me to expect.

The problem is that the USB link was in a "bad state" in the reader. The hardware folks at Sony know that this can happen, that is why the "Don't" symbol appears on the screen. I explained that this was dumb because the cradle requires the cover to be closed on the reader, so you can't see the symbol. The hardware guy had not actually used the cradle.

The problem can only by reset by a complete reset. There are two kinds of reset, after you do the Vulcan-pinch you can choose to erase everything and return to factory settings or not. Just rebooting, without the erase, does not clear the problem. After you erase, you only have the four "sample" books on the reader. All the other excerpts are on the installation CD (as somebody else here told me).

However, the good news is that the erase does reset all the USB registers and fix the problem. Prevention requires that you exit the CONNECT Reader software before you disconnect the cable or cradle. This is not in the manual, at least I never saw it, but the hardware guys both said it was mandatory.

I hope this helps the next user.

I also had multiple computers unhappy. Apparently I should have known to expect this as the problem is in the circuits in the reader.

I use WinXP SP2, and I checked by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel and running System. Then open the Hardware tab and click the button for Device Manager. Then open the little + for Universal Serial Bus controllers and scan down for the reader. You won't have the right driver installed unless you've installed CONNECT Reader on the computer. Until you install the program you get nothing. Good luck.

The user's book database (if that's what you mean) is located in "%userprofile%\Local settings\Application Data\Sony Corporation\CONNECT Reader".

ear Customer,

This e-mail is to inform you that Sony Connect recently experienced a now-resolved technical issue that resulted in problems for a small number of user accounts. Unfortunately, your account is among those few that were impacted. As a result, you may have received an incorrect license key required to: i) access the eBooks you purchased during this period; or ii) to authorize your PC and/or eBook Reader to your account.

To rectify this matter, please contact Customer Service at 866-919-7669 at your earliest convenience.

We have included the following instructions for you to follow when discussing the re-authorization of your PC and/or eBook Reader with our Customer Service Team. These instructions tell you how to delete the license keys on your PC and eBook Reader and to re-authorize each so that they can properly interact with the online store. Please note that you will get a credit for the exact amount required to re-purchase the eBooks you purchased during this period.

Step 1: Please make sure you can access the PC(s) which were authorized to your account (i.e., any PC on which you installed the Connect Reader software). You will need to delete a few folders on your hard drive:

You can do this by following the below steps:

1) Right-click on the Windows “Start” button on the lower-left hand corner of your screen.

2) Select “Explore”

3) Copy the address “C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader” (or wherever Sony Connect Reader is installed) and paste it into the address bar – press enter

4) Right-click on “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\kinoma” and select “delete”

5) Right-click on “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Marlin” and select “delete”

6) Right-click on "C:\Documents and Settings\Personal User Profile [i.e., your user name for Windows, e.g., jsmith]\Local Settings\Application Data\kinoma" and select “delete”

7) Re-start the Connect Reader software application

8) Log-in with your user name and password – it will re-authorize your PC to your account (this will be counted as your only PC authorization)

9) Your PC should be ready to make purchases

Step 2: You will need to reset the device(s) which you have authorized to your PC. You can do this by following the below steps:

1) If the device is on, slide the "Power" so that it turns off. Look for a small pinhole on the back panel and press the reset button on the back using a pin.

2) Slide the “Power” button to turn it on. While the screen displays "Starting up ...", you will see the light above the "Power" button flash in yellow. Wait for 35 to 40 seconds, then proceed to hold down the “MARK” and “VOL +” buttons.

3) CONTINUE TO keep these 2 buttons pressed for about 5 to 10 seconds, until the round “PAGE” button makes a quick blue flash.

4) CONTINUE to keep these 2 buttons pressed for another 25 seconds, the screen will show a “Reset All” message, and ask to delete all content.

5) Press button '5' to clean up content, this could take several minutes if you have many files on the Reader. When the deletion completes, the Reader will turn off.

6) Press the "Power" button to turn it on; this could take several minutes if you have many files on the Reader.

7) Connect your device to your PC and log-in to the store.

8) Go to Account>Manage Devices – you will be asked if you’d like to authorize this device to your account. Please say yes.

9) Your device should be ready to read eBooks purchased from your account.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We certainly value you as a customer and are taking all necessary steps to ensure this does not happen again. To thank you for your patience, we will be sending you a gift certificate good for the purchase of any two individual eBooks in our store, compliments of the Sony Connect eBooks Team.

Regards,

Sony Connect eBooks Team

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 1/29/2007
Time: 10:00:43 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JERRET-B106DD8B
Description:
Faulting application connect reader.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module xdball.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000060e4.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 63 6f 6e ure con
0018: 6e 65 63 74 20 72 65 61 nect rea
0020: 64 65 72 2e 65 78 65 20 der.exe
0028: 31 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 1.0.0.0
0030: 69 6e 20 78 64 62 61 6c in xdbal
0038: 6c 2e 64 6c 6c 20 30 2e l.dll 0.
0040: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 0.0.0 at
0048: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
0050: 30 30 30 30 36 30 65 34 000060e4
0058: 0d 0a ..

I just bought my reader today and the Connect software worked fine with moving books onto my reader- until i tried to import a folder with 1GB of books. My connect software crashed and when i uninstall the program, restart the computer, and reinstall the program it does not start up, but crashes. I'm using xp sp2, all updates. I even ran a system restore point from yesterday from before the connect program was installed and it still does not work. This is the error message in the App log: Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 1/29/2007
Time: 10:00:43 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JERRET-B106DD8B
Description:
Faulting application connect reader.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module xdball.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000060e4.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 63 6f 6e ure con
0018: 6e 65 63 74 20 72 65 61 nect rea
0020: 64 65 72 2e 65 78 65 20 der.exe
0028: 31 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 1.0.0.0
0030: 69 6e 20 78 64 62 61 6c in xdbal
0038: 6c 2e 64 6c 6c 20 30 2e l.dll 0.
0040: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 0.0.0 at
0048: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
0050: 30 30 30 30 36 30 65 34 000060e4
0058: 0d 0a ..

reader support
1-866-962-7669
m-f 9am-10pm est

Just a guess, but it seems the error occurs in xdbAll.dll, which, from just looking at it, seems to be responsible for the database file. Perhaps your database is corrupted?

Alexander Turcic
Try to delete "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony Corporation\CONNECT Reader".
eppythacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
jalm1
jalm1 began at the beginning.

I called support and they told me it was an installshield issue and to call microsoft or my computer maker. i thought, yeah right like thats going to work. I uninstalled the software again, did a search on the HD for all Sony related files i had and deleted them, as well as every registry entry i could find. reboted and reinstalled and all works now.
jalm1 is offline   Reply With Quote