Old 04-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
SomeThingWickd
First to go, last to know
SomeThingWickd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, iPhone w/Stanza, and NOW a 16GB Apple iPad WiFi
iPDF work around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Most definitely. While your plan is fine for text only ebooks... many of the PDFs that people want to view contain graphs, charts, code listings, etc which makes the layout of the PDF very important. So, being able to view the PDF with it's layout intact is a necessity.

For example, Try to convert an FAA instrument approach plate in Calibre and view it... will it work? Not so much.

BOb
BOb,

Thanks for the explanation...

I work for an airline in the pilot training area...will have to ask my astro-nuts what would they recommend....( considering they are the MOST nontechnical bunch I have met in ages (I got way too many civillian trained pilots and not enough former Naval Aviators...) will report back and see if any of them have a work around..)

I would think if you used www.4shared.com to store the document in question, and then pulled from iPDF, you might get the results you are looking for.....

Don't quote me, but looks good on paper...
SomeThingWickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #17
saniko
saniko is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Huh... I'm finding A4 PDFs to be flawless. With tables and everything. For the most difficult ones, I just go landscape, zoom in to crop the margins, and lock the "spanning" to just vertical and not horizontal. The results are usually larger than what the document/graph would look like on a A4 page.

Let me know if there is a PDF that you need help with. I hate to be an Apple fanboy, but I'm ridiculously happy with the iPad for PDF viewing. I think the best is yet to come, but goodreader is pretty sweet for 99 cents.
saniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Please do post the pictures.
Sorry for the delay.

See it's a little too small, but landscape mode & the quick refresh makes it mostly a non-issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000205.jpg
Views:	5146
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	49187  
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #19
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Is anyone aware of a PDF reader that does hyperlinks? I am a math teacher and three of my textbooks are in PDF format. However each textbook is broken into several files (each section is a separate file). The file names are not friendly, so you really need to use the links to navigate the PDF.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
Is anyone aware of a PDF reader that does hyperlinks? I am a math teacher and three of my textbooks are in PDF format. However each textbook is broken into several files (each section is a separate file). The file names are not friendly, so you really need to use the links to navigate the PDF.
you can use acrobat (full version) to combine multiple pdfs into one...
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, can anyone please confirm if this software allows for text highlight, bookmarks and notes on PDF docs?!!

Furthermore, how "heavy" is the iPad? Can you guys stand 3-4 hours of nonstop reading?

Many thanks,
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
Hi, can anyone please confirm if this software allows for text highlight, bookmarks and notes on PDF docs?!!
It will only cost you $1 to find out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #23
Estuche
Enthusiast

Quote:
It will only cost you $1 to find out.

BOb
Right, even if I am just a potential iPad owner who happens to be considering one for reading academic papers

Nice assumption there BOb
Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Right, even if I am just a potential iPad owner who happens to be considering one for reading academic papers

Nice assumption there BOb
So it will cost you $500 to find out.

I was just kidding around.

I'm sure someone here will let you know.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #25
Estuche
Enthusiast

Quote:
So it will cost you $500 to find out.

I was just kidding around.

I'm sure someone here will let you know.

BOb
Looking forward to it. The iPad would be a great way to keep organized all my readings
Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #26
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur

Quote:

Furthermore, how "heavy" is the iPad? Can you guys stand 3-4 hours of nonstop reading?

Many thanks,
I just looked through goodread. I found bookmarks, but not highlight or notes. Hopefully some other app has it.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #27
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
So far I love mine it has for sure replaced my net book and my Sony reader. Io have been using the kindle reader on the iPad, works great, you can even get a sepia background, easy on the eyes
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #28
ankit
ankit began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I installed goodreads, and am a little underwhelmed. The performance is a little slow (compared to say, safari), and zooming/panning is not as snappy as I had expected. Even scrolling through the reflow text only version is slow and lags a bit. Also, I couldn't figure a way of highlighting or commenting.
ankit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #29
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavi View Post
So far I love mine it has for sure replaced my net book and my Sony reader. Io have been using the kindle reader on the iPad, works great, you can even get a sepia background, easy on the eyes
I use the sepia on my iPhone for that reason. But on the iPad I find that white is more comfortable because I can lower the brightness.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #30
Estuche
Enthusiast

Hey this seems like a nice software, any experience with it?

iAnnotate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NJTwPPH8Fk

PS: I know it is a weird request, but could someone please upload a pic of/describe an iPad placed horizontally next to a vertical 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper...? that way it is possible to tell if a document read horizontally on the iPad = half of a normally sized (non-zoomed) PDF document. Hopefully it makes sense!

Last edited by Estuche; 04-05-2010 at 12:10 AM.