Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #211
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Unfortunately this is not enough proof. The Touch firmware for 2.3.1 does not mention a version number. More importantly, if you look at firmware 2.3.2, both the Touch and Glo firmware have the same number.

I'm afraid the only way to find out is to see which version (file size) is downloaded to your Touch. OR, if you purchased your Touch long before the Glo came out, you can know you'd need the Touch firmware.
Thankyou - you are always so helpful and knowledgeable Shall investigate the dates of the Glo reader release and then check file sizes.

And cross everything. Including my eyes!

Would really like to upgrade and get shot of some of the niggles of 2.3.1. Thankyou

Last edited by Willa; 02-15-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Clarification
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #212
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Or be cautious and just wait for the official release to be pushed to your device.
This is true - and if I am not confident I shall wait. Thanks for your advice
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #213
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Thankyou - you are always so helpful and knowledgeable
You're welcome – aww gee thanks *blush*

Quote:
Shall investigate the dates of the Glo reader release and then check file sizes.

And cross everything. Including my eyes!

Would really like to upgrade and get shot of some of the niggles of 2.3.1. Thankyou
Hahaha I'll cross my eyes with you

If you're going for the plunge and are still uncertain you might feel safer backing up the invisible partitions of your internal memory first. You'll have to open up your Touch and take out the µSD card, then mount that onto your computer with a card reader and back it up. This is the only way to get the entire card to be visible.

Good luck!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #214
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊

Quote:
Unfortunately this is not enough proof. The Touch firmware for 2.3.1 does not mention a version number. More importantly, if you look at firmware 2.3.2, both the Touch and Glo firmware have the same number.

I'm afraid the only way to find out is to see which version (file size) is downloaded to your Touch. OR, if you purchased your Touch long before the Glo came out, you can know you'd need the Touch firmware.
Followed your instructions re filesize and sideloaded the Touch firmware. Held breath, covered face with hands and peeked through nervously - all updated and cooking on gas.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #215
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊

Quote:
You're welcome – aww gee thanks *blush*

Hahaha I'll cross my eyes with you

If you're going for the plunge and are still uncertain you might feel safer backing up the invisible partitions of your internal memory first. You'll have to open up your Touch and take out the µSD card, then mount that onto your computer with a card reader and back it up. This is the only way to get the entire card to be visible.

Good luck!
I didn't understand a word of that Not that technically minded! Many thanks again - you are a star.
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #216
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Followed your instructions re filesize and sideloaded the Touch firmware. Held breath, covered face with hands and peeked through nervously - all updated and cooking on gas.

Wooooohh yay congrats!

Quote:
I didn't understand a word of that Not that technically minded! Many thanks again - you are a star.
Lol! (Not laughing at you not understanding, laughing at the way you say so ) Oh well, it appears you didn't need to understand so it doesn't matter

You're welcome!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #217
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊

Quote:
Wooooohh yay congrats!

Lol! (Not laughing at you not understanding, laughing at the way you say so ) Oh well, it appears you didn't need to understand so it doesn't matter

You're welcome!
Heeeee! Off to lie down in a dark room. My Touch is lying on the bed smoking a cigarette
Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #218
boh!
Nameless Being

I was thinking simple though, too much simple to be first at it.

1) If the Glo firmware is bigger than the Touch one (koboroot.tgz is 84Mb agaist 67Mb), why we couldn't do the same comparison after the installation? On the kobo itself??

2) I try to look inside koboroot.tgz. The are three files inside the directory .\drivers\ntx508\usb\gadget (arcotg_udc.ko, g_ether.ko and g_file_storage.ko) have different size.
Could it be useful??
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #219
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
First post on page 1 updated with latest release.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #220
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
It's a good thing I started this thread, I forgot how to sideload the firmware...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #221
boh!
Nameless Being

When I plug my Lobo Touch, on System->property->device->usb mass storage->details->bus relationship (not sure because I'm Italian): USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Kobo&Prod_eReader-2.3.1&Rev_0110\N905J29123136&0

Could someone check if there are differences between the 2 Touch??
My girlfriend's kobo was purchased 31th of December 2012

My Glo (but I already update it to 2.4.0): USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Kobo&Prod_eReader-2.4.0&Rev_0110\613B2A4020676&0

Last edited by boh!; 02-16-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #222
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boh! View Post
When I plug my Lobo Touch, on System->property->device->usb mass storage->details->bus relationship (not sure because I'm Italian): USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Kobo&Prod_eReader-2.3.1&Rev_0110\N905J29123136&0

My Glo (but I already update it to 2.4.0): USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Kobo&Prod_eReader-2.4.0&Rev_0110\613B2A4020676&0
Which differences do you want to know? Are you trying to find out which firmware to put on your girlfriend's Touch? Unfortunately we can't tell from the info you gave us. You really need to see the size of the firmware files downloaded automatically to the Touch.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #223
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by boh! View Post

The only method I have any certainty about is doing a factory reset on the Touch. After the factory reset has completed, connect the Touch to your computer, run the Kobo Desktop app and let your Touch update. Before you disconnect it, take a look at the .kobo directory on the Touch. You should see a file named KoboRoot.tgz in it. If the file size is 69,113,998 bytes, you have the original Touch 2.3.1 firmware. If the file size is 86,388,351 bytes, you have the Glo/Mini/new Touch 2.3.1 firmware. Depending on which you see, download the appropriate firmware. Delete the upgrade directory, KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum from the .kobo directory. Open the .zip file and copy it's contents into the .kobo directory. Disconnect the Touch and let it upgrade and you should be happily using 2.4.0.

Good luck!

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 02-16-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: usual correcting typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #224
Reaper1242
Reaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Touch
I sideloaded the firmware for glo/new touches yesterday since mine was bought in November of 2012. I was a little wary since I've bricked a Kobo during side loading. I suspect it was because I used the older firmware but at that stage there was no indication that the new touches used the same firmware.

Anyway, it worked perfectly. Took minutes and I was up and running.

I can confirm on my side that the returning to chapters issue is fixed and now you return to the place you bookmarked.

Just don't expect much in the line of changes. As mentioned in previous posts there really are only 2 and they have to do with library management.
I do notice that Kobo never mentions bug fixes in releases, only improvements.

But, I have learnt with Kobo that I'd much rather have them fix all of the bugs and release new versions withought even more bugs, than flashy new features.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention I sideloaded 2.4.0

Last edited by Reaper1242; 02-17-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Reaper1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #225
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I sideloaded 2.4.0 onto my "old version" Touch yesterday and the small font on new chapters came back to haunt me.

It did for 2 chapters anyway, third chapter onwards it appears to be working correctly?!?!

Edited to show correct release level, doh!

Last edited by Chocky; 02-17-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote