Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 12-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Gogol, Nikolai Vasilievich: The Overcoat and other selected Short Stories. Dec 2007

Gogol was one of the first masters of short prose, alongside Pushkin, Mérimée, Hoffmann, and Hawthorne. He wrote extensive short stories that are surprisingly difficult to find as e-texts. Here are 8 stories that appear to be his major works as short stories.

The Overcoat is his best known and spawned the phrase, "We all came out of Gogol's Overcoat" attributed to Dostoevsky.

Is worth a read. An insignificant clerk has a worn overcoat his co-workers tease him about. He decides to get it repaired but the tailor talks him into buying a new coat. He saves and buys a magnificent coat and is a smash hit at an office party. On the way home he gets robbed of his new life's joy. He goes to the police and meets resistance. Finally, obsessed with the coat he falls ill and dies. A ghost then begins accosting strangers in the city stealing their overcoats. Stuff happens...

The Nose (Another story) is great. A guy is eating his cheerios for breakfast and his nose falls off. He is an exceedingly shallow character and ... Stuff happens...

Other shorts in this collection include St. John's Eve, How the two Ivans Quarrelled, The Calash, and the great Taras Bulba. (Among others)

I tried to tackle Gogol twenty years ago and was stumped. Its time for me to give him another go. So I thought I would share it here..

Enjoy

Roy

(I will be posting his unfinished Novel Dead souls soon)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc The Overcoat and other.prc (622.4 KB, 1463 views)
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Cheers for the book. In Moskva where I live ...Of course He is a GOD> I have read some of his short stories in Russian...good fun. Will read these again .....cheers
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
chrisc
Go Sox!
chrisc began at the beginning.

Device: Dead Trees
Dear lord, there are no paragraph indents!

Is this how it was written, or is it a conversion issue?
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Conversion issue... I downloaded the stories from a website, then for some reason Book Designer formatted all of it as a new paragraph in the middle of every other sentence. I fiddled and fussed with it then in a fit of pique selected all the text and converted it ALL into one paragraph.. The text is all there... Just... ((I was and am too lazy to go through 555 pages of text fixing every line manually..)) So I since I'm not a perfectionist I just took the easy way out.

My apologies..

Roy
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote