Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
HTC Desire

Does anyone have/own an HTC Desire smartphone? It was released here in Japan in April and it sold out in two months, and I guess it has sold out all over Europe as well.

Does anyone know when it is coming out? My husband and I are both on the waitlist for one and the cellular carrier rep said he didn't know when any are coming, but I can see why he would say that even if he did know. I guess there is some shortage or some problem with how they make the screens. The only thing I found online was that it might be out come August.

I figure this is as good of a place as any to ask!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I've got one, and I love it (got it back in April when it was first released here in Australia). It's a beautiful, well engineered, fast phone and makes a surprisingly good reader with FBReader and Aldiko apps. I'd recommend it to anyone that might not be interested in an iPhone (or even a few that are! )
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
I've got one, and I love it (got it back in April when it was first released here in Australia). It's a beautiful, well engineered, fast phone and makes a surprisingly good reader with FBReader and Aldiko apps. I'd recommend it to anyone that might not be interested in an iPhone (or even a few that are! )
Haha, I can't wait to NOT buy an iPhone. Lucky you to have got the HTC when it came out! We had to wait till our current plan was up before switching carriers.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's certainly available in the UK. Given that you don't say either in your post or your profile which country you're in, it's a little difficult to offer advice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Does anyone have/own an HTC Desire smartphone? It was released here in Japan in April and it sold out in two months, and I guess it has sold out all over Europe as well.

Does anyone know when it is coming out? My husband and I are both on the waitlist for one and the cellular carrier rep said he didn't know when any are coming, but I can see why he would say that even if he did know. I guess there is some shortage or some problem with how they make the screens. The only thing I found online was that it might be out come August.

I figure this is as good of a place as any to ask!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's certainly available in the UK. Given that you don't say either in your post or your profile which country you're in, it's a little difficult to offer advice.
I presume in Japan!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ah - sorry; overlooked that .

The only criticism I can see of the Desire is that it's rather power hungry and has a short battery life. Function-wise, everyone seems to praise it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ah - sorry; overlooked that .

The only criticism I can see of the Desire is that it's rather power hungry and has a short battery life. Function-wise, everyone seems to praise it.
Which is why I exchanged the HTC I have from work for a much simpler Nokia. I'm always forgetting it and it was empty more often than it was working...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n

If it's available in the UK now then it must be coming here soon! My fingers are crossed! I figured the battery life wasn't the best. Seems like fancy phones' batteries never are.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Many smart phones have issues with battery life. It's something of a trade off, if you want the power and features a phone like the Desire can deliver.

With a little bit of effort though, you can tweak your settings and get a decent amount of use before charging is required again. I'm getting a spare battery and docking station to charge both it and the phone, myself. I want to be able to use all the lovely power eating features this phone has without worrying about the battery. Did I say I love this phone?
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
A friend got one recently and I drool over it whenever we meet She's now threatened to buy me a bib... Never wanted to pay for an iPhone and this seems the perfect alternative. It's really only a question of convincing myself now that I can afford it

Last edited by Ea; 06-24-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:47 AM   #11
banjobama
Busy Read'n

I got this phone two days ago. It came back in stock with the Softbank shop near me on August 6. It was worth the wait!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I want one, I want one, I want one!! Holding out a little longer yet... It's not as if I need it

BTW, contratulations!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
My husband bought himself a Desire. After one day he gave it to me. It's too hi-tech for him. He just wants to make phone calls easily.

I, on the other hand, already have 4 reader aps, lots of books and have had to buy more time - my sim is prepaid. It's only my second phone. I use my 3 phone for calls and the Desire for fun.

I love it.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
banjobama
Busy Read'n

I told my husband about the Desire a few months ago, and he grudgingly agreed to let me get one. A couple of days later, he announced that he wanted one too. I thought for sure he wouldn't like it since he's minimalistic with stuff but he seems to be getting along okay. He found that Star Wars lightsaber app and he now believes that the phone was worth it.

I only downloaded FBReader so far. There's not much room for books until I can buy a new SD card, since the one it came with is very tiny.

Last edited by banjobama; 08-11-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Edit.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote