Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Multiple copies of same book in different formats

If I already imported a book in pdf format and now want to import the same book in lit and rtf formats, how should I proceed? I'd like all 3 copies treated as the same book. Do I need to export the first book, then reimport all 3?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
No... open the Metadata editor for the ebook and you can add formats to the existing book record.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Select "edit meta information" for your book and then click on the button with the book and the plus sign to add different formats.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Select "edit meta information" for your book and then click on the button with the book and the plus sign to add different formats.
Thanks!
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
sassybug13
sassybug13 began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch/nook
PERFECT! This was one of my big questions. The other is... Is there a way to ensure that multiple versions of the same book can be imported together into one book with a .pdf, .lit, .rar, .txt, .html and not as duplicates?

Thanks!
sassybug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassybug13 View Post
PERFECT! This was one of my big questions. The other is... Is there a way to ensure that multiple versions of the same book can be imported together into one book with a .pdf, .lit, .rar, .txt, .html and not as duplicates?

Thanks!
Yup!
Open the Meta-data editor for the title.
You will see the formats that are already there.
Near that is a book icon with a + on it.
Use that to add all additional formats.

BTW Welcome to our happy group.

Last edited by theducks; 01-04-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Welcome
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassybug13 View Post
Click the downward facing arrow next to the add books icon. The second option is the one you want. It will treat each folder as a book and all the files within the folder as different formats.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
MWIL
MWIL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I joined just to ask this very question. Thank God I didn't start a new thread.

Great info.
MWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Click the downward facing arrow next to the add books icon. The second option is the one you want. It will treat each folder as a book and all the files within the folder as different formats.
I've been using Calibre for a year, updating faithfully and I never noticed that add books icon until you pointed it out.

I guess you learn something new every day.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Is there an easy way of rectifying the problem if books have been imported incorrectly such that different formats of the same book exist as different entries?

The only way I have found to do it is to save the duplicates to disk, delete them from the library and then add the files back in manually using the meta-data dialog.

Is there any sort of merge books facility?
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is no merge books facility but I have thought for some time it might be quite useful. I wonder if there is a feature request in Trac for it?

I was thinking something along the lines of designating an entry as the master (in case of any naming/metadata conflicts), and then be able to select one or more entries that are to be merged with this one and the original entries removed).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote