Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Troy Rising

Hum, this is odd. I could have sworn that I posted about this earlier. I guess either it got deleted, or I forgot to click on submit. Oh well.

This being one of the slow times of the year, I find myself going back to books that have been languishing in my To Be Read list for a while. Right now, I'm reading the second of the Troy Rising series. I finished the first a couple of days ago and really liked it.

John Ringo is one of those authors that I burned out on about 5 or 6 (or more) years ago when the Paladin of Shadows, Cally's War and Council Wars series came out. I really liked his central line Posleen War books and the Empire of Man series with David Weber. For some reason, last year I decided to try the Black Tide Rising books during the summer (another slow time) and really liked them. I read the Monster Hunter Memoirs this fall and really liked them, so on to the Troy Rising.

The good news is that Ringo seems to have gotten over some his more annoying quirks (at least to me). Really solid writing that keeps my interest.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hum, this is odd. I could have sworn that I posted about this earlier. I guess either it got deleted, or I forgot to click on submit. Oh well.

This being one of the slow times of the year, I find myself going back to books that have been languishing in my To Be Read list for a while. Right now, I'm reading the second of the Troy Rising series. I finished the first a couple of days ago and really liked it.

John Ringo is one of those authors that I burned out on about 5 or 6 (or more) years ago when the Paladin of Shadows, Cally's War and Council Wars series came out. I really liked his central line Posleen War books and the Empire of Man series with David Weber. For some reason, last year I decided to try the Black Tide Rising books during the summer (another slow time) and really liked them. I read the Monster Hunter Memoirs this fall and really liked them, so on to the Troy Rising.

The good news is that Ringo seems to have gotten over some his more annoying quirks (at least to me). Really solid writing that keeps my interest.
I highly recommend reading this essay--back story about the dedication in Ringo's books.

I liked the Council Wars series and wish he would go back to them.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I quite liked the Troy Rising books too, fun and fast reads.
As far as I remember they started out as a kind of fanfiction for the Schlock Mercenary webcomic (which is also very much worth a read for anyone interested in SF comics), with Ringo imagining a possible backstory on how humanity progressed from now to the 31st century in which the comic takes place.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote