Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #1
globalmark
globalmark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Help please New Paperwhite 2 how to organise collections on a mac NOT Cloud

Hi All

I have just bought a Paperwhite 2nd Gen , and want to Organise, some book collections , Yes i have seen can do manually on the Kindle but thats a Bit slow .
I have also seen that I can do in Calibre (i have for Mac ) and tried but - Do i have to Jail break the Kindle for that to work ? As brand new not sure want to jail break yet !
or
Is there any other way to organise the Collections easily and quickly - author , type etc
Different program - there is Kindle for Mac ? does that work well - dont have it but can get it

Any and all suggestions as 1st ebook reader .
Thanks all in advance
Mark
globalmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Collections are cloud-based these days, so yes, you can organise your collections on Kindle for Mac, and those collections will then be available on the PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I use Calibre for PC, not Mac, but as far as I know the Mac version works the same way. If so, it will work perfectly with your Paperwhite and doesn't require that to jailbreak or modify your Kindle in any way.

I'm not a fan of Kindle collections or of any of Amazon's limited options for organizing and sorting my library and use Calibre exclusively for both Amazon and non-Amazon ebooks.

Once you've installed Calibre on your computer and configured it using their set up wizard, you need to decide whether you want to install the Apprentice Alf plug-ins. If so, you need to do it before adding books to your Cailbre library since the plug ins only work when adding books to the library, not on books previously added.

I set up user defined columns for genres, read/un-read, etc., and have hidden the preconfigured columns I don't use (ratings, etc). There are numerous forum posts, tutorials and articles that explain how to customize Calibre. You can find them with a Google search.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
I use Calibre for PC, not Mac, but as far as I know the Mac version works the same way. If so, it will work perfectly with your Paperwhite and doesn't require that to jailbreak or modify your Kindle in any way.
It does if you want to organise collections, which is the OP's specific request. Calibre can only work with collections on a jailbroken Kindle. That's why I suggested doing the collections on Kindle for Mac.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
But, if you wish to use calibre to manage your collections, here is how:
  1. Jailbreak your Kindle
  2. Install MKK to authorize non-Amazon kindlets
  3. Add the Collections Manager kindlet to your Kindle
  4. Use the (Touch/PW1/PW2-friendly) Kindle Collections plugin for calibre found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1760

It only works on firmware =<5.4.2.1, see this thread to downgrade (if necessary): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235413
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
globalmark

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies , I have been using Calibre for mac for years , for my Ipad and other bits and pieces. So i guess I would have to Jailbreak to use that for Kindle -
Correct ?

I dont Use Cloud for anything - dont like idea my files flying round so only use Local HDD to back up etc .

Have already got Kindle 5.4.3 firmware updated ..

HarryT - do you mean I can organise stuff on a program called Kindle for mac ?
as i downloaded this but it does not see my kindle when plugged in (does not sync) and i dont see how to show the books on the Kindle ? - happy to delete all and re-add if necessary . if you know can you give me simple instructions as googles Kindle for mac but dont get much info on basic using ..

Thanks all
Mark
Old 04-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalmark View Post
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies , I have been using Calibre for mac for years , for my Ipad and other bits and pieces. So i guess I would have to Jailbreak to use that for Kindle -
Correct ?
That is the first step, so yes.

Quote:
I dont Use Cloud for anything - dont like idea my files flying round so only use Local HDD to back up etc .

Have already got Kindle 5.4.3 firmware updated ..

HarryT - do you mean I can organise stuff on a program called Kindle for mac ?
as i downloaded this but it does not see my kindle when plugged in (does not sync) and i dont see how to show the books on the Kindle ? - happy to delete all and re-add if necessary . if you know can you give me simple instructions as googles Kindle for mac but dont get much info on basic using ..

Thanks all
Mark
Kindle for Mac is a computer application for reading Kindle books -- like the smartphone apps. You can download your books with it, sort them into collections (by hand) and sync the collections from one kindle to the other.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:12 AM   #8
globalmark

Hi mate

Thanks for that ,
Can I just add books previously downloaded to Kindle for mac (program) and manually organise then send to the kindle. And they are organised ?
If so that would be good enough for me .
Any idea how to do that ? As I plugged in kindle and nothing appears on kindle for mac program , and cannot see a add or import or anything on kindle for mac ?

Thanks Mark
Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Collections are synced through the cloud, not through the application. Not sure how Cloud Collections will handle it, but before that, at least, you will go to archive/cloud view on the device, click the menu and select the option Import Collections.

It will list all devices/apps that have/had collections and offer to download their collections data from the servers.