Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Hekate
Hekate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Mobi conversion removes borders

Hi!
I am using/trying to use Calibre to shrink my Mobi files.

Although it's doing a great job regarding the file size, the output mobi file (whether from EPUB to Mobi or from KindleGen converted-Mobi to Mobi) loses the borders I have added in the CSS.
I added border-top and border-bottom to the Chapter titles and in EPUB looks great, in mobi - converted with KindleGen/KindlePreviewer it looks great (except old kindles that don't support borders). But when I run it through Calibre the borders disappear.

Is this a known issue with Calibre or am I missing something?

P.S. I have used KindleStrip to shrink my mobi files, and while it did shrink my file from 1,600kb to 1,200kb, Calibre shrinked it to 800kb. I don't have any images in the book, just text - amounting to approx. 600 paper pages in 35 chapters as separate html files.
And I'm aware that 1,600kb is nothing compared to some image-heavy ebooks out there, but for a text-only book that isn't THAT long I think it's too much. Should I mention that the original EPUB I created is 400kb. Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
-V
Hekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to azw3 not mobi. MOBI has no support for most CSS.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Hekate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Convert to azw3 not mobi. MOBI has no support for most CSS.
Thank you.
But first of all, this doesn't answer any of my questions above.
Second, mobi DOES support all the css I used in my formatting (as explained above) the issue is with Calibre removing or not showing parts of my css when converting from epub to mobi or from mobi (that was converted from epub with kindlegen and shows the borders) to mobi.

And last, but not least, I DID try to convert to azw3 right after seeing your post and has the same results. Converted from epub to azw3 and from mobi to azw3 and it removes all the borders from my ebook.
Any solution to this?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigh, I love Amazon.

No MOBI does not support CSS. kindlegen produces a mobi that is actually a combined file that contains MOBI and azw3 and when you view it you are looking at azw3. And finally, if you want answers to your questions, ask the questions properly: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Hekate

The fact that I didn't post my question according to the guidelines is my bad. Sorry. But I did ask the question as clearly as possible.

So here goes:

1. File I'm trying to convert: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0n5o4k2rj...aryBarton.epub

2. Conversion log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tymzu3fblo...versionLog.txt

3. Output file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztyvyq29e4...20Gaskell.azw3

4. Output file is missing the borders around text that are in the original epub file. No error message.

5. Only conversion option changed from default was at "Look & Feel" - checked "Disable font rescaling"

Hope this is clear enough.
Thank you!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Now that is an actual bug, in the way border shorthand properties are resolved.

Either remove border-width: 0 or the p selector from the first css rule in MaryBarton_idstyles.css and you will be fine.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Hekate

Yes, this fixed it for the azw3 conversion.
Thank you so much!

The only problem I have with azw3 is that it's not supported by older kindles. And Kindle for iOS on the Previewer.

Last edited by Hekate; 08-21-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Tags
border, calibre, css, mobi, styling