Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Just got a glo and it is slightly more crisp then the touch. I do find that the glo screen is not as sensitive as the touch. I have to swipe or touch harder to register a page turn then on my touch. Strangely the glo feels heavier even though it is only 3g heavier then my touch. It might just be the way the weight is distributed on the device. Light is a huge plus though and great for my getting older eyes.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
With the light off, it is slightly better than the Touch. Kobo claims that the light does not drain the battery, and I have found that to be true. My battery life on the Glo (light always on) seems to be at least as good as the Touch. I've read other Glo users attest the same as well.
By the laws of physics, there has to be some drain on the battery. It appears to be reasonably small, based on what I've observed with the Glo I bought for my wife.
everklear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by everklear View Post
By the laws of physics, there has to be some drain on the battery. It appears to be reasonably small, based on what I've observed with the Glo I bought for my wife.
Does the Glo have a larger battery then the Touch? This would give you the same time between charges as a touch when using the light.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
With the light off, it is slightly better than the Touch. Kobo claims that the light does not drain the battery, and I have found that to be true. My battery life on the Glo (light always on) seems to be at least as good as the Touch. I've read other Glo users attest the same as well.
I suspect they increased the battery side, from the order of ~1000mah on the Tough to ~1500mah on the Glo. With the battery off in both cases the Glo should last ~50% longer.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by everklear View Post
Of course, the light must be powered by the battery, I merely meant that the drain on the battery seems more or less negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
I suspect they increased the battery side, from the order of ~1000mah on the Tough to ~1500mah on the Glo. With the battery off in both cases the Glo should last ~50% longer.
Wasn't aware that the difference was so large. I'm not sure that my Glo lasts ~50% longer than my Touch, so maybe the light uses more juice than I thought. Although the conclusions I've drawn was most certainly not from any controlled experiment, especially considering I sleep my Glo (as opposed to turning it off entirely) much more often than the touch. But I think the consensus on this forum was that the glo light was very power efficient at the least.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm just guessing on the Glo's battery capacity, based on the Paperwhite having a 1500mha battery.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #22
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Yikes, maybe I should try reading. I was wondering why I haven't seen those numbers before.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #23
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
In my memory serves me right, the Glo has a tad more powerful CPU as well, so it's a tad faster than the Touch.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #24
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
I do find that the glo screen is not as sensitive as the touch. I have to swipe or touch harder to register a page turn then on my touch.
You can turn pages without touching screen hard or soft only need to break IR light beam. Maybe trying to say slightly longer touch is needed for page turn with glo. With many updates over time for Kobo Touch readers, length of touch and response has changed more than once as they tried to reduce double page turns. Regardless of how they change this for better or worse I adapt in a day or 2 of use.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #25
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The Glo CPU is 1000MHz vs 800MHz for the Touch, but does this actually make the Glo faster or is the extra speed needed just to render pages for the Glo's higher resolution screen at the same rate as the Touch?

I would have thougt that the extra work needed to render and display pages at higher resolution combined with the higher CPU frequency would make the Glo use more power than the Touch, even with the light off.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #26
stewacide
Groupie

I find the Glo DRAMATICALLY faster at pulling up the ToC. Takes forever on the Touch, but is instant on the Glo. I can only assume it's being cached in memory on the Glo, which likely has more memory to work with.

Page turns seem to be slightly faster on the Glo as well, but they were already fast.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
I find the Glo DRAMATICALLY faster at pulling up the ToC. Takes forever on the Touch, but is instant on the Glo. I can only assume it's being cached in memory on the Glo, which likely has more memory to work with.

Page turns seem to be slightly faster on the Glo as well, but they were already fast.
What file type are you reading? I just tried 2 side-loaded epubs, and the TOC took 2-3 seconds to come up.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #28
stewacide
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What file type are you reading? I just tried 2 side-loaded epubs, and the TOC took 2-3 seconds to come up.
Comes up almost instantly for me on the Glo even with +20 page ToCs using sideloaded epubs (e.g. news feeds)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #29
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
When Kobo Touch was first available with faster processor it was assumed by some that it would have shorter battery life than slower Kobo Wifi. This proved not to be true because of faster processing data base and page turns then going into as good or better low power state waiting for page turn or other input. As important are unknown improvements maybe lower power draw graphic and wifi ICs.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #30
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
You can turn pages without touching screen hard or soft only need to break IR light beam. Maybe trying to say slightly longer touch is needed for page turn with glo. With many updates over time for Kobo Touch readers, length of touch and response has changed more than once as they tried to reduce double page turns. Regardless of how they change this for better or worse I adapt in a day or 2 of use.
I also found that the Glo seemed to require more pressure. I know you're just breaking IR beams above the screen but it could be that the Glo is tuned to require more beams broken so my finger needs to be squished flatter by the pressure.

On the Touch I was used to giving a very light tap.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote