Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2018, 05:37 AM   #16
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Oh, I forgot Melvin! And Clarence!

But, you know, Dudley has the added incentive that it associates with the detestable "Harry Potter" Dudley Dursley character. No hunka burning love fantasy reverberates in that thought...
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #17
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hubert does have a ring to it.

But these days, young people ALWAYS abbreviate names. Lisa becomes Lise. So what would be the abbreviation for Hubert? Hube? Hoo?
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Or give a thought to some of those really old-fashioned names that nobody uses any more.
Homer. Irving. Oscar. Ferd. Jethro. Harvey. Zeke. Rufus. Buford. Alvin. Floyd. Hubert. Oswald. Wilbur.
I beg to differ. I have met at least three quite young Oscars.

At least with kids today no name seems outlandish, so the young Oscars are spared the ignominy at the hands of their peers that would have been visited on an Oscar in my generation.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I beg to differ. I have met at least three quite young Oscars.

At least with kids today no name seems outlandish, so the young Oscars are spared the ignominy at the hands of their peers that would have been visited on an Oscar in my generation.
Soap opera General Hospital has a young teenage character named Oscar.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
Hubert does have a ring to it.

But these days, young people ALWAYS abbreviate names. Lisa becomes Lise. So what would be the abbreviation for Hubert? Hube? Hoo?
Probably something like Hue. My fiancee is named Lisa and when her sisters abbreviate her name it comes out sounding like Lee rather than Lise.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
If you're using Windows or Linux you might want to download the free screenplay writing software, Trelby. Not necessarily to write screenplays, but because it has a good name database feature.

http://www.trelby.org/

In the examples below I limited the search to Male, starts with "cl" and chose "English" – which resulted in 37 names. If I changed the nationality to "Irish" I got 11 name (second example). As you can see in the screenshots, lots of choices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	English.png
Views:	304
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	162656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Irish.png
Views:	308
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	162657  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If you're using Windows or Linux you might want to download the free screenplay writing software, Trelby. Not necessarily to write screenplays, but because it has a good name database feature.

http://www.trelby.org/

In the examples below I limited the search to Male, starts with "cl" and chose "English" – which resulted in 37 names. If I changed the nationality to "Irish" I got 11 name (second example). As you can see in the screenshots, lots of choices.
Scrivener also has name generation features built in I believe.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Scrivener also has name generation features built in I believe.
So does Movie Magic Screenwriter, Final Draft and probably several others – but Trelby is FREE.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #24
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I'm a Scrivener user but all your suggestions are way more fun and entertaining. I should use its generator for some of the less "spork-worthy" characters though.

I think Fabio is going to become Dudley (although, I won't make him a Canadian - mountie or otherwise). He really is a nice chap. I feel like I need to give him more "screen time" now. Sigh.

Dudley was all kinds of wrong in Harry Potter. Didn't he semi-redeem himself in one of the later books? It's been a while since I Pottered (and then I only listened via Stephen Fry to the final three books).
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I'm a Scrivener user but all your suggestions are way more fun and entertaining. I should use its generator for some of the less "spork-worthy" characters though.

I think Fabio is going to become Dudley (although, I won't make him a Canadian - mountie or otherwise). He really is a nice chap. I feel like I need to give him more "screen time" now. Sigh.

Dudley was all kinds of wrong in Harry Potter. Didn't he semi-redeem himself in one of the later books? It's been a while since I Pottered (and then I only listened via Stephen Fry to the final three books).
Trivia: The actor who played Dudley in the movies is the grandson of Patrick Troughton who was one of the early Dr. Who's.
Spoiler:
After Harry saves him from the Dementors in book 5 I think,
Dudley becomes a bit more easier to get along with. You have to wonder what it is that they made him relive though.
I wonder how many people remember Dudley Dooright now days.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I've got a never seen, only talked about, character. He's incredibly good looking. He's been assigned as an assistant to my female MC. The idea of him (poor pet) is that all the MC's colleagues talk and speculate about him. We don't know anything else about him and he never actually is in any scenes, just that he's stunning. In my head is a lovely guy, so I don't want to make fun of him or saddle him with a p0rn name.
You know your idea reminds me of a play "Waiting for Godot." Same sort of idea:
Quote:
Waiting for Godot is a play by Samuel Beckett, in which two characters, Vladimir and Estragon, wait for the arrival of someone named Godot who never arrives, and while waiting they engage in a variety of discussions and encounter three other characters
Old 03-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #27
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You know your idea reminds me of a play "Waiting for Godot." Same sort of idea:
Dudley Godot? We have a winner!
Old 03-05-2018, 11:03 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I wonder how many people remember Dudley Dooright now days.
Me
How about Roger Ramjet (USA, and maybe only California)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:41 AM   #29
skb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Me
How about Roger Ramjet (USA, and maybe only California)?
Roger Ramjet and the American Eagles - and don't forget his proton energy pills (which sound kinda dodgy), battling Noodles Romanoff from NASTY.

Oh, crap. Now I want to call Fabio "Noodles". Nooooooooo.

Last edited by skb; 03-06-2018 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Noodling
Old 08-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #30
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
Consider naming the character Michael. Common, but not Mike. Michael is not a groaning out loud cliché name like some of the other suggestions.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote