Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #2221
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently listening to the John Lee narration of The Three Musketeers. The narration is excellent, but unfortunately, all the Audible versions of this novel appear to be from the Public Domain translations of the Victorian Era. It's too bad no one has chosen to do a narration of either the Pevear or the Hobson. I'm going back and forth between the ebook version of the Hobson and the Audible version, and the difference is a bit jarring.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:30 PM   #2222
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Currently listening to the John Lee narration of The Three Musketeers. The narration is excellent, but unfortunately, all the Audible versions of this novel appear to be from the Public Domain translations of the Victorian Era. It's too bad no one has chosen to do a narration of either the Pevear or the Hobson. I'm going back and forth between the ebook version of the Hobson and the Audible version, and the difference is a bit jarring.
I've noticed a number of audible audiobooks based on PD books. I would suspect the rational is less people to share the money with. You have a set fee for the narrator and once you get your expense back, it's all gravy.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #2223
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, definitely. It's pure profit after you cover your fixed costs for the actual narration. So keeping those costs low is certainly a consideration. Though in this case, I would suggest that you could make a convincing argument that your version is better if you actually used one of the better translations.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #2224
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, definitely. It's pure profit after you cover your fixed costs for the actual narration. So keeping those costs low is certainly a consideration. Though in this case, I would suggest that you could make a convincing argument that your version is better if you actually used one of the better translations.
I would not be incredibly shocked if most people didn't realize the differences in translations. I mean the Three Musketeers is the Three Musketeers, right?
Old 05-24-2018, 05:37 PM   #2225
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Definitely NOT the same, as I'm sure you're aware. We had a rather lengthy discussion about the various translations when we selected T3M as the June book for the New Leaf Book Club, and several of us have been switching back and forth to try to get a sense of which one we prefer, and I've found I prefer the Pevear over any of the Victorian ones, and the Hobson over the Pevear, but only by a narrow margin.
Advert
Old 05-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #2226
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Definitely NOT the same, as I'm sure you're aware. We had a rather lengthy discussion about the various translations when we selected T3M as the June book for the New Leaf Book Club, and several of us have been switching back and forth to try to get a sense of which one we prefer, and I've found I prefer the Pevear over any of the Victorian ones, and the Hobson over the Pevear, but only by a narrow margin.
Yes, I'm aware. Over the years, I've been more aware of the various translations of the really old classics, such as the Iliad and Odyssey. But more recently, I've become more aware of the various translations of the French writers such as as Jules Verne, Victor Hugo and Dumas. I read the old juvie translation as a kid (loved Verne). I just picked up the Penguin Editions of Le Morte D'Arthur and the Count of Monte Cristo not long ago.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:30 PM   #2227
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I listened to The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware, narrated by Imogen Church. I loved this; I think it's Ware's best.

This suspenseful tale had an old-fashioned vibe; it reminded me of Phyllis A. Whitney's books, in plot though not in execution, as this book is grittier and lacks the romance. It's chockablock with gothicky elements: endangered heroine, family secrets, crumbling old mansion, mysterious attic room, sinister housekeeper, wild winter storm, etc. All highly satisfying, making this one of my favorites of the year.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #2228
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I listened to The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware, narrated by Imogen Church. I loved this; I think it's Ware's best.
I'm glad to hear that you think it's her best. I just got my loan at the library and am looking forward to reading this in the next week!

I am currently listening to Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman which was just released. I think she's doing a great job narrating her own book. Maybe it helps that she's an established actress and also has stage experience.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #2229
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I'm glad to hear that you think it's her best. I just got my loan at the library and am looking forward to reading this in the next week!

I am currently listening to Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman which was just released. I think she's doing a great job narrating her own book. Maybe it helps that she's an established actress and also has stage experience.
I was disappointed in The Lying Game, and Mrs. Westaway was so much better. I'm a fan of Imogen Church, and her narration is excellent.

Something in the Water is on my wish list at Audible, but I'm waiting to see if my library will get it. I'll be interested to know how you like it once you're done.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #2230
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Currently listening to Lt. Leary, Commanding by David Drake on my Delphin waterproof audio player while swimming! A perfect book for doing laps, and a nearly perfect device to do it with.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #2231
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm listening to several things. Dark and Stormy Nights , an anthology edited by P Enrod (Echo streaming) is just ok. Even though I bought this because of the Jim Butcher novella, I liked a couple of the other stories better. Loved Even a Rabbit Will Bite by Rachel Caine. Will likely finish this today.

My second audiobook is the first of a trilogy. A Darkness Forged in Fire by Chris Evans (Nano) is very enjoyable and has just a touch of humor. The dwarf especially adds a light touch. The narrator is Michael Kramer and he is a joy to listen to. I'm a bit over half way through this.

My third (on the Itouch) is Dead But Not Forgotten which is a bunch of short stories written by other authors in the Sookie Stackhouse world. So far, so-so. Nothing to write home about. I just finished the Sookie Stackhouse series last week, so catching up on all the short stories and such. I snagged the CD sets of Playing Possum and Dancers In the Dark from the closeout at Audiobookstand (they are closing down).

Last edited by Tarana; 06-15-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #2232
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Finished up Weber's Worlds at War series with Insurrection in my commute listen. Steve White, David Weber's co-author in these books wrote some sequels to these books, but I never got around to reading those. Marc Vietor, the narrator does a good job.

Also just finishing up Raymond Feist's Magician, narrated by Nicholas Guy Smith. That's my work listen. Also very good.

As is my habit, I'm going with something lighter next for my commute listen. Mercedes Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar series, starting with Arrows of the Queen. As I mentioned in a different thread, I bought a version of this audio book some years ago, but they never released the other two. They just re-released the series with a new narrator, Christa Lewis. The reviews give this one a 4.8 out of 5.0, and say that they like the new narrator better than the previous one (Carole Edie Smith).
Old 06-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #2233
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The Wheel of Time has turned. I finished the last book (minus the prequel) last weekend. It ended satisfyingly enough, but on the whole it's hard to rate the series higher than 3.5/5. The characters, cultures, relationships and politics were compelling, and particularly how they changed over the course of the series. Looking back though, the one consistent theme running through the series is an immature and simplistic worldview best summed up as: everything is BDSM. Relationships are governed by dominance and submission, and people (mostly women) are constantly being tied up, collared, spanked and switched. Obviously some people would consider the bondage theme a feature, but to me it seems part and parcel with the arrested development of every character (prior to Sanderson taking over) and the exaggerated obsession with gender.

I enjoyed the series, and it certainly fit the bill of "fantasy bedtime story" that I mostly look for in audio, but I don't see much reason to revisit it.

I tried jumping in to the most recent Foreigner book after WoT, but it was too abrupt a shift. I ended up with The Mongoliad, which is much better than expected for something written by committee.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #2234
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Consider sending a request to Audible. They often take Audible member's suggestions and contact the publisher about doing an audiobook. I'll send one too - maybe that will help. I started listening to Three Musketeers (same one you have - I bought it on a special) last night. It's one of those books that I need quiet time without interruption, so maybe an hour a day before going to bed.

I never even considered that it needed translation. Really, I kid you not - I never even made the connection that Jules Verne wrote in french. So, so obvious.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #2235
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I started listening to Three Musketeers (same one you have - I bought it on a special) last night. It's one of those books that I need quiet time without interruption, so maybe an hour a day before going to bed.

I never even considered that it needed translation. Really, I kid you not - I never even made the connection that Jules Verne wrote in french. So, so obvious.
If Jules Verne had written the The Three Musketeers, it probably would have been some awesome Steampunk. Maybe that last movie (2011) would have been better.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations