Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I have had good luck with batteries on used Sony Readers.
My used Sony PRS-350 has held a charge so far for a couple of weeks so the battery seems to be good. On the other hand, the two used kobo wireless ereader's batteries haved drained after less than a week. Since I've paid less than ten dollars each for the kobos I can't complain but it makes me think if the kobo's batteries are inferior to sony's batteries.

I also purchased a new PRS T-1 several years ago and so far have no issues with the battery draining rapidly. I have made sure to not let it drain completely and kept it with a charge. The reason I'm cautious with keeping the battery charged is that apparently my kid's Sony PSP became bricked after being left off for a couple of months with the battery competely drained. Afterwards, it would not charge and of course the warranty had just ran out. . .
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:45 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
My used Sony PRS-350 has held a charge so far for a couple of weeks so the battery seems to be good. On the other hand, the two used kobo wireless ereader's batteries haved drained after less than a week. Since I've paid less than ten dollars each for the kobos I can't complain but it makes me think if the kobo's batteries are inferior to sony's batteries.
I'm not sure, but I don't think the Kobo Wireless readers had a very long battery life, even new. I know mine drain fairly quickly also.

According to this article, the Kobo Wireless' battery was only rated for 10 days.

Quote:
Beyond the new display--which is still 800-by-600-pixel resolution but is now 16-grayscale, putting it in line with the competition--the specs remain largely familiar. The unit can read DRM ePub, Adobe Digital Editions, and PDFs (though the PDF handling remains weak, relying on pan-and-zoom to get around). You can put content on the reader via the SD Card, through USB transfer (a mini-USB port is on the bottom of the device), by shopping on the Website, or by shopping on the device itself. The inclusion of Wi-Fi puts a damper on the battery life, though: This model is rated for only 10 days of battery life, versus two weeks for the original Kobo and the Sony Reader, and one month for the Amazon Kindle.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2132...s_ereader.html

I think you're right about Kobo's batteries being inferior to Sony's. Actually I think Sony's batteries are superior to all others – at least from their "era."

Last edited by rcentros; 06-04-2018 at 01:53 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #18
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
This is the Sony forum. We have several members who like older Sonys and come here to report good deals they have found in case anyone else is interested. Why interrupt their discussion by coming in here to tell people they should buy another brand? I'm sure every one of these people buying old Sonys is well aware there are other, newer brands of ereaders available.
I am not sure all potential customers are aware of some limitations or even defects of older Sonies.
These days are in vogue a vague of "return to the roots" promotion, which emphasises the vinyl and tubes and cassette and open reel as better than current products. Of course, there were people that were tricked into buying overpriced PS1 equally from Sony (we are in a Sony thread ) as better than any modern CD player.
Although I do not feel too much sorry for the suckers cahed in by smartasses, in the end too much "smartasseness" would reverse the accepted values and this would not be in our (my) benefit.

People must be correctly informed. This is the least we can do.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I am not sure all potential customers are aware of some limitations or even defects of older Sonies.
These days are in vogue a vague of "return to the roots" promotion, which emphasises the vinyl and tubes and cassette and open reel as better than current products. Of course, there were people that were tricked into buying overpriced PS1 equally from Sony (we are in a Sony thread ) as better than any modern CD player.
Although I do not feel too much sorry for the suckers cahed in by smartasses, in the end too much "smartasseness" would reverse the accepted values and this would not be in our (my) benefit.

People must be correctly informed. This is the least we can do.
I don't see where saying "A PRS-T3 isn't worth $62" is really "correctly informing" anyone of anything. If someone wants a T3 (for whatever reason) I don't think $62 is an unreasonable price.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #20
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Goodwill currently has a Sony PRS-950 available.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/54814979
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote