Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Beware of Word macroviruses, as the state of Russian computer security is pretty dire, and viruses of every kind are widespread.
Thanks Sarmat. This guy has a yahoo email tool. I'll ask him if we can correspond there instead of mail.ru.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:48 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Beware of Word macroviruses, as the state of Russian computer security is pretty dire, and viruses of every kind are widespread.
Yeah, right. Kaspersky puts out a "terrible" anti-virus. Where do you get this?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #18
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Kaspersky puts out a "terrible" anti-virus.
For Kaspersky to be efficient, the following conditions must be satisfied:
- It should be an actual version, and not 6, for example;
- It should have a valid license to get updates;
- It should have additional security settings enabled.

As most antiviruses in Russia are counterfeit, and even system administrators do not setup them properly, they don't help much.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For Kaspersky to be efficient, the following conditions must be satisfied:
- It should be an actual version, and not 6, for example;
- It should have a valid license to get updates;
- It should have additional security settings enabled.

As most antiviruses in Russia are counterfeit, and even system administrators do not setup them properly, they don't help much.
Again, where do you get this (sources)? Kaspersky is one of the highest quality, best selling anti-virus application in the world – it often ranks highest in tests. And there is now a free version available in the United States.

https://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/...virus-download

I use Linux, so I don't have to worry about it. But my kids and wife use Kaspersky.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-21-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:28 AM   #20
evanhson357
EvnHrsn
evanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

For anyone who's looking for a good free email site, I'd have to recommend Protonmail.
I've been using it for over a year now without any problems.
evanhson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhson357 View Post
For anyone who's looking for a good free email site, I'd have to recommend Protonmail.
I've been using it for over a year now without any problems.
I forgot all about ProtonMail. I signed up with them when they were still beta – but, at the time, I think both sides had to have some kind of decryption set up. Went back and recovered my password and now it just works like a standard email service. (I guess it still encrypts, but it seems to be seamless now.)

Another, no ad, email service that seems to work well is Vivaldi.net (the people who make one of the alternate web browsers). Since I already have an account I don't see the sign up form, but I think you go to www.vivaldi.com and click on "webmail" at the top to set up an account. When I do this I just go to my login screen.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:52 AM   #22
evanhson357
EvnHrsn
evanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Another, no ad, email service that seems to work well is Vivaldi.net (the people who make one of the alternate web browsers). Since I already have an account I don't see the sign up form, but I think you go to www.vivaldi.com and click on "webmail" at the top to set up an account. When I do this I just go to my login screen.
Thanks, that's good to know. You never know when you'll need a replacement, and there are some shady ones out there.
evanhson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhson357 View Post
Thanks, that's good to know. You never know when you'll need a replacement, and there are some shady ones out there.
Vivaldi is a pretty good browser also (based on Chrome) – though I normally use Pale Moon (based on Firefox). Vivaldi was started by folks who used to work on the Opera Browser.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Anybody using gmx free email? It supposedly has really good security.

https://www.gmx.com/
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote