Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #991
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
That's great, TreadLightly! I miss running... I wanna check out that app. *google searching* It's downloadable at the Apple App Store and Google Play! Cool! That's one way to keep track of what I'm eating.

'Hope you let us know how the half-marathon goes!
Tracking calories is the only way I can keep myself honest about what I'm eating. I don't go crazy and weigh my food, I only estimate quantities based on volume, but when I should only be eating 1500 calories a day (not including replacement calories for exercise) I can easily put that away by lunch time if I'm not careful! I don't eat junk food, I just like to eat.

I'm curious about your statement about only eating healthy Mexican food. I don't cook authentic Mexican, but so many healthy foods that I like - chili, burritos, bean and sweet potato enchiladas - are Mexican inspired. What is an example of unhealthy Mexican food?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #992
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I'm curious about your statement about only eating healthy Mexican food. I don't cook authentic Mexican, but so many healthy foods that I like - chili, burritos, bean and sweet potato enchiladas - are Mexican inspired. What is an example of unhealthy Mexican food?
A lot depends on the oils used while cooking and the amount of salt, sugar, processed ingredients and chemicals a food product/meal contains. According to my research, food cooked with organic coconut oil, sesame oil or olive oil is healthier. Food cook with processed vegetable oils or lard--not so healthy. Chili and burritos that are made with quite a bit of salt and low quality meat that contains chemicals isn’t really healthy. Chorizo (Mexican sausage) is made of low quality, mystery meat and, even though it's delicious, it's not healthy. Beans made with lots of salt and processed vegetable oil... For a relatively fit person with a healthy immune system--salty, refried beans made with Canola oil isn't a big deal, but for one who is suffering from some sort of malady, it is/could be.

Mexican food that is high in fat, sodium and calories, and uses less of the fresh, nutrient-packed ingredients is unhealthy Mexican food.

A few examples of really unhealthy, traditional Mexican food:

Refried beans with chorizo
Tamales made with lard
Anything made with lard for that matter (We used to live off of lard. Yuck.)

*doing google search* And a few examples of unhealthy, Mexican restaurant food:

Taco Bell: Nachos Bell Grande--760 calories and 39 grams of fat
Chipotle's: Beef Burrito--1,026 calories and 46 grams of fat
Baja Fresh: Steak quesadilla--1,450 and 86 grams of fat
Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill: Carne Asada Taco with rice and beans--710 calories and 22 grams of fat

These are just a few examples... I'm sure I'll think of more as time goes by.

Last edited by trichobezoar; 01-05-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Corrected post.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #993
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
A lot depends on the oils used while cooking and the amount of salt, sugar, processed ingredients and chemicals a food product/meal contains. According to my research, food cooked with organic coconut oil, sesame oil or olive oil is healthier. Food cook with processed vegetable oils or lard--not so healthy. Chili and burritos that are made with quite a bit of salt and low quality meat that contains chemicals isn’t really healthy. Chorizo (Mexican sausage) is made of low quality, mystery meat and, even though it's delicious, it's not healthy. Beans made with lots of salt and processed vegetable oil... For a relatively fit person with a healthy immune system--salty, refried beans made with Canola oil isn't a big deal, but for one who is suffering from some sort of malady, it is/could be.

Mexican food that is high in fat, sodium and calories, and uses less of the fresh, nutrient-packed ingredients is unhealthy Mexican food.

A few examples of really unhealthy, traditional Mexican food:

Refried beans with chorizo
Tamales made with lard
Anything made with lard for that matter (We used to live off of lard. Yuck.)

*doing google search* And a few examples of unhealthy, Mexican restaurant food:

Taco Bell: Nachos Bell Grande--760 calories and 39 grams of fat
Chipotle's: Beef Burrito--1,026 calories and 46 grams of fat
Baja Fresh: Steak quesadilla--1,450 and 86 grams of fat
Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill: Carne Asada Taco with rice and beans--710 calories and 22 grams of fat

These are just a few examples... I'm sure I'll think of more as time goes by.
Ok gotcha. Processed anything, fast food anything, is unhealthy, I agree. Traditional Mexican made with excess pork/lard/chemicals/meats of questionable origin is the unhealthy stuff. I avoid that too.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #994
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mexican food are really, really delicious though! I have to say they are among my top 10 list of food cravings (Tacos are addicting, I haven't realized how much I love them until I went back to my family's place without the presence of tacos ever gracing the premises).

But the winner usually goes to Quesadillas. If I go around my balanced lifestyle goal, I will reward myself with it every once in a while.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #995
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
Mexican food are really, really delicious though! I have to say they are among my top 10 list of food cravings (Tacos are addicting, I haven't realized how much I love them until I went back to my family's place without the presence of tacos ever gracing the premises).

But the winner usually goes to Quesadillas. If I go around my balanced lifestyle goal, I will reward myself with it every once in a while.
For the average person with a healthy immune system, tacos and quesadillas are okay. I agree, Mexican fast food and traditional meals are delicious! I miss it tremendously. Alas, because of an illness, I can no longer enjoy many Mexican dishes.

I'm learning how to incorporate fresh, nutrient-packed foods (such as avocado, whole pinto or black beans, brown rice and red potatoes) into my diet.

A few of my meals are still "Mexican", but they're a simpler, healthier variation.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #996
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My first sub-73kg weight of 2015 this morning. Despite the temptations of biscuits.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:53 AM   #997
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The healthier options sounds great, trichobezoar! Nutrient-packed foods (such as avocado, whole pinto or black beans, brown rice and red potatoes) = (I've mentally taken note of this one, I haven't had avocados in ages and it's delicious)
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #998
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I set myself a goal of losing seven pounds between Labor Day (September 7) and Columbus Day (October 12), which would get me to my college weight. As of this morning, 20 days in, I'm exactly on target, having lost four pounds, a rate of a pound every five days. The question is if I can sustain this rate since the first pounds are the fastest to go; on the other hand, for someone who is on a diet, I've been eating an awful lot in the past few days. So with only 15 days to go, I hope I can stay motivated.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #999
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I set myself a goal of losing seven pounds between Labor Day (September 7) and Columbus Day (October 12), which would get me to my college weight. As of this morning, 20 days in, I'm exactly on target, having lost four pounds, a rate of a pound every five days. The question is if I can sustain this rate since the first pounds are the fastest to go; on the other hand, for someone who is on a diet, I've been eating an awful lot in the past few days. So with only 15 days to go, I hope I can stay motivated.
Well done issy. What dietary method are you using? Sounds like just eating less, which always works
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #1000
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Well done issy. What dietary method are you using? Sounds like just eating less, which always works
Thank you! I'm pretty pleased; it's been a while since I've been able to muster my wits to address the pudge.

My besetting problem is that I have no willpower. Any diet that has me eating less is a nonstarter. So I've cut out all starches and dairy (I lurve cheese; it had to go), and eat meat/fish/eggs, veg and fruit at will. I eat far too many nuts.

Wine is a fruit, right?
Old 09-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #1001
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
My first sub-73kg weight of 2015 this morning. Despite the temptations of biscuits.
I suppose I ought to update with my complete lack of success.

After a good start, I drifted up to between 74/75kg by the end of March, where I've pretty much stayed since.

The reason is easy - I've been snacking and eating more than I wanted to. Well - wanted to in the abstract. Obviously, at the time of eating I wanted to eat the things!

So I need to apply myself to resisting snacking temptation again, which I have done quite successfully today. It's keeping it up for the next 90 days that will be tricky.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #1002
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Wine is a fruit, right?
My very fave.

I have stuck at 186 pounds (84Kg) for some time now. It is in the upper bounds of "normal" weight for my height and bone structure, but I would really like to be nearer to 168 pounds (76Kg), which would mean I'd be "slim" . I don't overeat, often only having two smallish meals a day, but my Achilles heel is the red wine (and occasional beer) which piles on the calories. I know what the answer is, but the willpower is not there at the moment.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #1003
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

So I need to apply myself to resisting snacking temptation again, which I have done quite successfully today. It's keeping it up for the next 90 days that will be tricky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
but my Achilles heel is the red wine (and occasional beer) which piles on the calories. I know what the answer is, but the willpower is not there at the moment.
My two downfalls!

I don't have a problem with snacking during the day, but in the evening once I have some time to myself it's almost irresistible. At least now I'm going with the piece of fruit or handful of nuts, but I need something. I wouldn't make the long haul to bedtime without cracking.

And truthfulness compels me to admit I've cut way back on wine, from every night to maybe twice a week. This is a very slippery slope for me and I'm trying to be thoughtful about it before I imbibe. Hardest of all is keeping myself from going back for the second glass.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #1004
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Four weeks into my five-week quest to lose seven pounds by Columbus Day and I'm exactly on target. I've lost 5.6 pounds with 1.4 pounds to go. I'm quite pleased, although it would be better to be a bit ahead of pace, as weight loss is bound to slow.

Now, if I could just cut out the wine and chocolate for the next week I think I'd have a shot.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #1005
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Four weeks into my five-week quest to lose seven pounds by Columbus Day and I'm exactly on target. I've lost 5.6 pounds with 1.4 pounds to go.
Congratulations! Keep up the good work.