Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
Even if the sources I mentioned are getting paid by Avast (or AVG) their reviews are independent, which is easily researched. They provide plenty of poor reviews for other advertisers which you can easily research. Or find your own source of reviews if you prefer. In any case, without doing some research on antivirus (or similar critical applications) you'd be putting yourself at great risk.
It's sad but, at this moment,I'm thinking about choosing Windows Defender over Avast. Between it's lack of learning and so many advertisements..
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #17
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
That would be true... if they gave me the warning before blocking it, and not after (in my world, that is not a warning), and it would be able to learn from a release to other.
That's asking a lot from your antivirus. It is not just Calibre that they must look at, but five bazillion other Windows programs as well. Analyzing and "learning" this massive number of programs would be a gargantuan task.
Yes, the world would be a better place without any anti-virus false-positives. But that will never happen.

If dealing with false positives is too much, then it might be time to consider switching to Linux, or a Mac, or some other operating system that is more secure than Windows and doesn't require all the add-on anti-virus anti-malware anti-spyware kludge that's the norm in the Windows world. Any OS can be compromised, but you are much more likely to be compromised when running Windows. Hence all the add-on anti-whatever software required for normal daily operation. And the associated false-positives.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #18
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Windows Defender does well, too. But also, the way you phrased your reply (I'm thinking about choosing Windows Defender over Avast. Between it's lack of learning and so many advertisements..) it sounds like you are objecting to advertisements displayed by Avast, etc. Not sure about all of them, but Avast for windows doesn't force adverts on you for normal screening, etc. It may do so for special scans, etc., but I don't use it for that.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Windows Defender does well, too. But also, the way you phrased your reply (I'm thinking about choosing Windows Defender over Avast. Between it's lack of learning and so many advertisements..) it sounds like you are objecting to advertisements displayed by Avast, etc. Not sure about all of them, but Avast for windows doesn't force adverts on you for normal screening, etc. It may do so for special scans, etc., but I don't use it for that.
The Avast I have is, from time to time, advertising itself:
* You have all this garbage in your system, update to professional edition.
* We have avoided unknown threats.

And so on. That's advertising for me. Not everyday but very frequently.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Even if the sources I mentioned are getting paid by Avast (or AVG) their reviews are independent, which is easily researched. They provide plenty of poor reviews for other advertisers which you can easily research. Or find your own source of reviews if you prefer. In any case, without doing some research on antivirus (or similar critical applications) you'd be putting yourself at great risk.
Yep! Independent You ever work at a place that depends on happy sponsors?
The really bad reviews don't ever get published. The reviewer gets less work.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
For what it matters, I've found that safe browsing habits, common sense, and a good adblocker (uBlock Origin, and look into NoScript while you're at it) are a lot more reliable than any antivirus.

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials and run a secondary scan in MalwareBytes every week or thereabouts. Only once did it pick up anything, and that was because I disabled my adblocker on a supposedly-reputable site and the ad redirected to a dodgy site. Never again.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-03-2019 at 03:17 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Interesting. I don't get any of that (and I am using the free version.)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
For what it matters, I've found that safe browsing habits, common sense, and a good adblocker (uBlock Origin, and look into NoScript while you're at it) are a lot more reliable than any antivirus.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔️

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I just use Microsoft Security Essentials and run a secondary scan in MalwareBytes every week or thereabouts. Only once did it pick up anything, and that was because I disabled my adblocker on a supposedly-reputable site and the ad redirected to a dodgy site. Never again.
more or less.

I now regard NoScript as high-maintenance browser candy, I gave it the flick when I got rid of XP On XP and earlier, at various times, I ran AVG, Avast, Trend Micro, Comodo, McAfee, Nortons, Kaspersky... paid and free versions. Every one of them had one or more annoying features. And like Noscript, they were all high-maintenance, By that I mean: they require lot of interaction and intervention - bit like a three year old, but without the delight one gets from a child.

I switched to Security Essentials (now known as Defender) when I moved to Win 7. I have had it find trojans and PUPs in software downloads that Virus Total didn't, that was when VT neglected to include Defender in its toolbag.

I run MWB Pro for its dodgy site checking, it seems to be a bit stricter than Moz/Goggle/MS, but not as silly as WoT. In that context I don't mind a few false positives.

MWB very occasionally (like once or twice per annum) finds something Defender let's through. I have nothing whitelisted/excluded in Defender or MWB - they have carte-blanche to scan my entire system. I scarcely get a peep out of either of them, a weekly notify message from Defender telling me how many scans and how many threats, normally zero, is about all I get from it. MWB only pipes up if it wants to download/install a major upgrade.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #24
NSILMike
Guru

Then you're in good shape. Security Essentials rates well too. But, while safe browsing habits and common sense are very important, an ad blocker has little impact relative to virus protection. I use one too, but to stop annoying pop ups, etc., not for security- although you shouldn't trust any ad either.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #25
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
If you like to play games and use Windows Defender, make sure you enable Windows Game mode (in the game, press the Windows key + G). This will make sure that Defender does not use too much CPU when the game is running. Doing this fixed the stuttering I was having in-game, because Defender was using a lot of CPU (scanning I guess).

I suspect that other AV programs are not as well behaved and ignore Windows game mode.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #26
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
The Avast I have is, from time to time, advertising itself:
* You have all this garbage in your system, update to professional edition.
* We have avoided unknown threats.

And so on. That's advertising for me. Not everyday but very frequently.
i use panda free ( maybe called panda dome nowadays) once you manage to find it! they really want you to only find and downlaod the paid versions. But it's very good - with panda news turned off there are no adverts, no nags, and last time I looked it was highty rated.
I do own a lifetime malwarebytes pro key but since changing pc I have not bothered to put that back on. it did overzealously flag& block a lot of web sites - notably those I use for sports streams. Ad blockers on those seem just as good and less obtrusive
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #27
NSILMike
Guru

The Best Free Antivirus Protection for 2019

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,281...m_medium=title

Just published.