Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Nobel Peace Prize!

It was quite a shock to wake up this morning to hear that President Obama has been awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace. I have never made any bones about the fact that I'm a Yellow Dog Democrat, but I think that this is a significant event inasmuch as it shows the people who look at these things on a global level want the United States to follow the path of engagement and discussion, rather than exclusion and aggression.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Do you know that at the very latest, he was only in office for 12 days before they started considering him for the Nobel? And here I thought you were supposed to get awards based on past actions. He hasn't done anything yet.

Is the Nobel basically a popularity contest now?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It seems a very strange decision.

Giving the peace prize to an outgoing politician when they have made an outstanding contribution while in office, and actually achieved things, would be the right thing to do.

This seems to have been done in the hope of future actions based on past rhetoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Do you know that at the very latest, he was only in office for 12 days before they started considering him for the Nobel? And here I thought you were supposed to get awards based on past actions. He hasn't done anything yet.

Is the Nobel basically a popularity contest now?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I just woke up. I assume you're not kidding, so was there something substantive cited for the award?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
"for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

They forgot to add "By virtue of not being George Bush."
Dylrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
"for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

They forgot to add "By virtue of not being George Bush."
Somehow, I'm guessing that that explains it.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Unlike his predecessors, Obama was selected not for substantive accomplishments, but for his "vision" and inspiring "hope" at the beginning of his presidency.

Quote:
"For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman," the committee said, explaining its decision.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/...nts/index.html

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

But an award as significant as this for words but no accomplishments? I don't see how that's at all credible. And it just feeds the flames of those who don't like him. The "right" will be understandably displeased and I wouldn't blame them a bit. I like Obama a lot but this strikes me as a very big mistake. I'm telling you, if everyone doesn't start being fully rational and leave our gut- and crotch-level reactionary behaviours behind us soon, we're all going up in a big ball of hatred.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I was surprised myself. I like Obama, but as Nate said, "He hasn't DONE anything yet!" At least not anything to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.
We're still in Iraq and Afghanistan - I'm afraid we're about to be in Iran again, if they keep rumbling about their nukes - and who knows what someone else might have in store? We've been "at war" so long, it seems normal now. And this deserves the Nobel prize for Peace how?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It was a "He's not George W Bush" award I think. The world breathed a collective sigh of relief when Obama won. The US under republicans was increasingly disliked by the world as they continued to invade countries, make hostile statements towards other countries, build up the military to unprecedented levels and violate human rights. Quite frankly they were not helping world peace in any way, only lining the pockets of the industrial military complex and killing a lot of people with bombs.

But what has Obama done?
- Guantanamo is still open
- CIA torture camps still exist
- Still in Afghanistan, with a worsening situation and we all know it will never end (see Russians in the 80s).
- Still in Iraq
- Patriot act just got it's extension as did the warrantless wiretaps and detention of American citizens
- Still throwing ludicrous amounts of money at the military, haliburton, blackwater
- Hasn't found the BILLIONS 'lost' by the department of defense in Iraq.
- Still mechanations about invading Iran floating around, after that probably Syria and Pakistan and so on.

While Obama has been speaking about peace, he hasn't achieved anything yet, the financial crisis saw to that. IMO he should have held back on health care, the lobbyists are controling that discussion and FOX news are spreading too much FUD to have an adequate debate. Many people are also too focused on their self interest to pay another 2% tax to cover health care for all Americans.

The health care debate has slowed Obama down, I want to see movement in other areas and a less authoritarian America. I want financial sector action, the crooks took the public money and are back to their dodgy ways already, Obama needs to address this before people forget how devastating the financial crisis was.

More action, less talk.

Last edited by fugazied; 10-09-2009 at 05:15 PM.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I hate to characterize it as being the "Not W" prize, because I'm really tired of all the rancor. It was, as I said, very surprising. Political leanings aside, I am not sure he deserves it at this stage. Carter won it for his work on middle east peace, Wilson for staying out of WWI, and Roosevelt for developing the Panama Canal. Obama seems to be getting it for promoting something. Something I feel is quite important, but I would have liked to see it happen after a while when he stayed the course to his convictions. I fear that this will be seen by others as being insignificant due to international politics, rather than the message that the committee seems to be trying to put across.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Mr. Obama has joined an exclusive club, populated by the likes of Yasser Arafat, Mikhail Gorbachev, Jimmy Carter, Nelson Mandela, Al Gore, Woodrow Wilson, Anwar El Sadat, Menachem Begin, and Henry Kissinger.

Most of those actually did something, either for good or ill. I can't quite see how "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." qualifies as actually having done done something. All of his major endeavors remain unfulfilled.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
its my understanding that the award is given to people who havent done anything a lot. I would go into more detail, but Im posting from my zune =)
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #14
deanstow
deanstow began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise, prs300
I am disappointed for the people that might have been legitimate contenders for this year's Peace Prize.

I do not agree with Obama's politics, but that has nothing to do with this. He hasn't accomplished anything worthy of this prize yet.

I feel that this is a blatant effort of the Nobel Committee to proactively influence policy rather than reward those who have accomplished 'great things'. I feel that they hoped this would stimulate a complete withdrawal of US troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

It is a sad day for the Nobel Prize, IMO.
deanstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:11 AM   #15
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
From the coverage I've seen of it today from the more.. nuanced news services (NPR, etc) I see why it happened, even if I'm a little skeptical. I'm with Fugazied.. he's not done jack here yet and I'm not happy about it. My short hopes of some of the "everything that can be screwed up in this country IS screwed up" (economy, health care, education, etc.) being resolved is pretty much entirely gone.

But, at the same time... I do see their point. We're still the 'superpower' (kind of) and Obama is attempting to provide the leadership that we should be providing in a number of ways, and I think the Nobel prize is very much a vote of confidence in that direction. So, yes, a lot of it is simply 'you're not George W' but it's also about the hopes for something new and the hopes for something better.

So, while I don't agree he's done anything to deserve it yet, and he's certainly not my favorite person right now, I can see a legitimate point of view in him winning the award. It's not the first time someone has won the award for what they are trying to accomplish before they accomplished anything.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote