Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
Couple of questions regarding the eBookwise 1150

Hi guys,

I've been trolling the forums for a while just reading, but I thought I'd finally join up. First off, I must say I bought a 1150 of eBay a couple of month ago and It totally kicks butt! I use it every day and its replaced paper books for me completely . I'd love to get an eInk device like the Iliad, but at the moment theyre too damn expensive for me to justify the price.

I have a couple of questions though that I hope someone out there might know the answer to:

1)Battery life - mine seems to be flakey, the unit will charge and show 20+ hours remaining on the battery, but it runs down in like 2 hours. Unfortunately I'm based outside the USA so returning it for exchange is not an option. Has anyone else experienced this and are there any tricks to solving it? Also has anyone tried replacing the battery in it?

2)The bulk converter software which is downloadable from the manufacturers website - has anyone got it to work? Everytime I try I just get errors. The librarian and standard publisher program give me no problems at all, but I'd like to use the bulkconverter as the other 2 programs take an age to convert the large amount of stuff I want to view on my 1150. Any clues?

Anyway, thats all for now.
mlkmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:25 AM   #2
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
1. No problems with the battery. Mine says about 10 hours and it seems to last for a long time. No idea on how to replace the battery. Maybe they can send you one if you tell them your situation?

2. Not too sure about the bulk converter. Is this the program available for about 15 bucks on their site? If so, I have never had a problem with it. Never had any luck with the freeware options out there so I broke down and bought the Librarian program. Is this bulk converter something new?
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

Someone made a list of batteries for all ebook devices, I do not have it handy right now, but if people can post a link that may help; also try to fiddle with brightness, and charge the battery 3-4 hrs even if it says full.
The bulk converter gives me problems once in a while too; I just uninstall it and reinstall and it works, though once I had to remove by hand a dll that was corrupted. The bulk converter is useful, but the formatting of the imp books is much better with the Librarian from rtf in my experience; if you ask in the fictionwise group on Yahoo, people may know better about how to format the files for conversion to do various stuff (clickable table contents and the like).

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
mlkmnz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5
Hi,

Someone made a list of batteries for all ebook devices, I do not have it handy right now, but if people can post a link that may help; also try to fiddle with brightness, and charge the battery 3-4 hrs even if it says full.
The bulk converter gives me problems once in a while too; I just uninstall it and reinstall and it works, though once I had to remove by hand a dll that was corrupted. The bulk converter is useful, but the formatting of the imp books is much better with the Librarian from rtf in my experience; if you ask in the fictionwise group on Yahoo, people may know better about how to format the files for conversion to do various stuff (clickable table contents and the like).

Liviu
Thanks for your help. If you can find the list of the batteries that would be great. I'm picking the unit I have was sitting in a warehouse for years before being sent and that might have effected the memory of the battery. I charge it for a day and it makes no difference, and backlighting is on the lowest possible setting.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

I found these two links that may be helpful; for question about Ebks1150 it is a very good idea to try the Fictionwise Yahoo group since many people there are experts in GEB1150/Ebk1150.

www.teleread.org/blog/?p=4501
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fictionwise/message/2583

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
mlkmnz
Enthusiast

Thats great, thanks very much. Didnt know that Yahoo group existed, will see if anyone there has had the same problems as me.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #7
marypinchesme
marypinchesme began at the beginning.

Device: gemstar 1150
maybe you can help me, I think I migrated because when the card is in. info , more,Ii see the higher mb,. but I can not seen to get to the link to register, or load some books I have reformatted and put on my sm card and see them on the card drive
marypinchesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Good Morning,

I'm on my second EBW1150 (sold the first like a fool) and always get at least 20 hours run time with backlight on first or second step. The most recent firmware has made the meter more accurate but the manual states that to get the most accuracy, the ebook needs to on while charging. This may not help you since I fear that your battery may be on it's way out.

You may be able to buy a replacement battery from ebookwise or from the manufacturer, ebooktechnologies.com. The battery is a 6 cell Li and should be treated with respect as far as handling it outside the ebook. Here in the States there are outfits that rebuild battery packs at a resonable cost, maybe you can find a source locally.

I've never tried the batch conveter from ebooktechnologies myself so can't help there but you may want to give the programs at http://www.processtext.com/index.html a look see. I use Amberlit to convert .lit files to .RB or FB2. Put the .RB files in the ebooks to be converted folder and Librarian should ask first the do them all in a batch. I use the .FB2 files in Bookdesigner 4.0 when I want to do a bit of cleanup. Amberlit and it's cousins do not correct formatting and will produce a unreadable ebook if the original file has errors.

Also, check out the wiki, https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_conversion for a pretty comprehensive list of whats out there.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
marypinchesme
marypinchesme began at the beginning.

Device: gemstar 1150
finally got mine up and running thanks to all you guys and john from ebookwise teck

I do not know how long the battery last or balk converting, but for the price this is great except reading outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnz View Post
Hi guys,

I've been trolling the forums for a while just reading, but I thought I'd finally join up. First off, I must say I bought a 1150 of eBay a couple of month ago and It totally kicks butt! I use it every day and its replaced paper books for me completely . I'd love to get an eInk device like the Iliad, but at the moment theyre too damn expensive for me to justify the price.

I have a couple of questions though that I hope someone out there might know the answer to:

1)Battery life - mine seems to be flakey, the unit will charge and show 20+ hours remaining on the battery, but it runs down in like 2 hours. Unfortunately I'm based outside the USA so returning it for exchange is not an option. Has anyone else experienced this and are there any tricks to solving it? Also has anyone tried replacing the battery in it?

2)The bulk converter software which is downloadable from the manufacturers website - has anyone got it to work? Everytime I try I just get errors. The librarian and standard publisher program give me no problems at all, but I'd like to use the bulkconverter as the other 2 programs take an age to convert the large amount of stuff I want to view on my 1150. Any clues?

Anyway, thats all for now.
marypinchesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by marypinchesme View Post
I do not know how long the battery last or balk converting, but for the price this is great except reading outdoors.
For outdoor use turn off the backlight. It is not perfect but better than nothing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
here's another good site:

http://www.chromakinetics.com/REB1200/REB1100.htm

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #12
ivon
ivon began at the beginning.

Device: i have just ordered an Ebookwise 1150 on ebay and awaiting delivery
EBW1150 review help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
Good Morning,

I'm on my second EBW1150 (sold the first like a fool) and always get at least 20 hours run time with backlight on first or second step.
Michael
dear michael,
good day! yours seem to be the most current review on this device. actually i am just a novice to ebook reading and basically wanted to read bible on such devices to help me easily refer chapters and verses quickly, but then i also travel a lot and like to read managment and non-fiction; based in India (Delhi) i do not see such gadgets in stores except maybe the PDA or smartphones. I saw EBW1150 on ebay and am about to buy, just wanted some current observations from the users, one of which is yours. So you think it is alright to proceed and get one. I do not read heavily but while traveling if it helps me to do some light reading of various kind of books, that would be sufficient help to me.
ivon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Good morning Ivon,

I answered a question from you a few days ago but I don't remember which forum it was on. Yahoo maybe?

Anyhow, the 1150 is in my opinion one of the best designs from an ergonomic perspective. It's easy to hold, easy to read and easy to store. With a 64Mb card it will hold far more books than I can read at one sitting and holds a charge well.

There is a US seller of 1150s priced around $125USD. These are new. Anything else is the usual eBay mystery so do be careful there. I don't know if you have 220-240 volts or 120 like we have in the US. You will need a different charger if you are using anything other than 120. You can use a travel adapter but when I did so in Tonga earlier this year, the charger got very warm and I hate to stress things like that. The 1150 didn't seem to mind it though.

I have a Godspeed eBible that came with several versions of the Bible and some other Bible related programs but I long ago took them off during the experimenting stage and don't thing I can restore it to it's original content. It's actually an hiEbook reader, also known as a GEB210. It's not a bad little reader but I don't care for the contrast when using the backlight so I stick with the 1150.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
welcome!

Yes EB1150 are awesome!

I would say fiddle with your brightness settings and see if that helps with the battery life.

I have not used the bulk converter. I normally use Convertlit, download books already formatted as .imp through fictionwise, or get .rtf .txt or .html for easier conversion.

I am guessing that the bulk converter might not be set up to work on newer versions of Windows.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Ive had my 1150 for about a year now, and still think its fantastic !

as has been mentioned before, the fit and feel in the hand is really nice.

As far as the battery life goes, I set it up so the Brightness is one or two clicks up from the bottom.

Then adust the contrast depending on were im reading ( in the house, at night or out in the sun ) to bring the text into focus.

With that type or arrangement I usually only have to chage it once a week or so, maybe more if I do extra heavy reading ( on vacation etc ). This gives me approx 18-20 hours of reading type, which is actually a lot when you think about it.

I wish they would come out with a updated version tho, keep the same format / size etc. MAYBE make it a hair lighter but include these features in no particular order:

Replaceable battery ( I know it will be needing to be replaced at some point ! )

Wifi connection

use current, modern high compasity microSD memory card

True USB connection ( make it a seperate drive on your PC )

MAYBE newer battery technology to extend the battery life some

Ohh and make use of a folder system when looking at books in the book listing

Other then that I think its a great little machine and I look forward to a ton more use of it =)
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote