Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Oasis 2, iPad Mini
Aura One Battery Life: Is this normal?

I know that the Aura One is not known for stellar battery life, but mine seems particularly bad.

I've been tracking reading time since my last charge and I'm at about 8 1/2 hours reading time and 37% charge. (I remember that David Rothman on Teleread reported 15 hours on his Aura One, so I've been using that as a comparison.)

WiFi is off. 12% backlighting and auto lighting is off. 5 minute auto off. I rarely use the night lighting setting (mostly because I forget about it).

The battery percentage also does some pretty impressive drops. The last one was 49% to 37% in about 15 minutes. I know that battery indicators can be dodgy, but big drops like that happen just about every discharge cycle.

Is this normal, or do you think I have a bad unit? After my last experience with Kobo Customer Support, I don't want to go down that road unless I have to.

Am I missing something on battery management?
terendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
petercreasey
Guru
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo Aura One
t, I would suggest that you not arrive at any decisions based on one charge cycle.

My KA1 (very rarely but) occasionally goes to zero over night then is fine on the next charge cycle.

If you decide it's acting up, try a factory reset.

. . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. I realize I wasn't clear. I wasn't basing the battery life on one charge cycle. My impression since I got the KA1 was that the battery was lasting about 10 hours or less. This charge cycle I just decided to confirm it. I do tend to forget about the factory reset, so I'll give that a try.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
Kendog
Kendog began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I feel that mine has a short battery life too. I switched one of the settings so that it goes to sleep and then shuts off. Am much happier. Takes a bit of time to turn it on but the battery lasts much longer now.
Kendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
khashayar
khashayar began at the beginning.

Hi! I received my Aura one just a few days ago and the battery lasts no longer than a day. Surely, that can't be normal?

However, I have installed KSM and koreader (I'm a heavy reader of PDF:s and koreader is indispensable for that). Does anybody know if it might be KSM sucking juice in the background? As far as I understand, KSM keeps running in the background when nickel is used. To be clear, I see the same battery drain regardless of whether I'm on nickel or koreader.
khashayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Don't forget that when people rate e-reader batteries they usually include a note about being based on "30 minutes a day". When they say the Aura One battery last "up to one month" that means 15 hours total under the best conditions. Things like ambient room temperature can have small effects, and font size as bigger fonts need more page turns. Charge it to 100%, use it daily and keep a record of how long it takes to power off.

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 06-26-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
8 Hours reading time in less than a week (you did not specify over how long you measured this 8 hours reading time.) does sound abnormally bad. I would consistently expect approx 20 hours.

If the time measured is over a month however, that would be reasonable. Remember that a device in sleep mode still consumes *some* power for the RAM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by khashayar View Post
Does anybody know if it might be KSM sucking juice in the background? As far as I understand, KSM keeps running in the background when nickel is used.
No, KSM is not sucking juice in the background. However, when KSM is in the foreground, its energy consumption is much higher than that of nickel. Generally, nickel has a much better power management than KSM (or KOReader). You can find some information in the first post of this thread.
According to some reports, nickel has currently a problem with draining the battery. Maybe you should try to switch off the device when you are not reading and see whether this helps, until Kobo releases a new update of its firmware.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
khashayar

tshering, thanks so much for info and pointers! After some more usage, it does indeed seem like koreader/ksm are consuming more power than nickel.

I'll be experimenting some more!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
khashayar

Alright, after some more intense reading/using the Kobo I can confirm what I understand from the thread linked above. In nickel battery usage is low. In Koreader battery drains fast while reading. One full day of reading PDFs and I need to charge. I'll keep an eye on that thread, hoping it'll be sorted out!

The more I use Koreader, the more I really like all the features it offers!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by khashayar View Post
Alright, after some more intense reading/using the Kobo I can confirm what I understand from the thread linked above. In nickel battery usage is low. In Koreader battery drains fast while reading. One full day of reading PDFs and I need to charge. I'll keep an eye on that thread, hoping it'll be sorted out!

The more I use Koreader, the more I really like all the features it offers!
If KOReader is the problem and you want to use it, then this thread is not for you. You need to go to the KOReader forum and see what is happening about fixing it there.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
terendel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
8 Hours reading time in less than a week (you did not specify over how long you measured this 8 hours reading time.) does sound abnormally bad. I would consistently expect approx 20 hours.

If the time measured is over a month however, that would be reasonable. Remember that a device in sleep mode still consumes *some* power for the RAM.
That was over the course of six days, so downtime power drain wouldn't be much of an issue.

Darn. It's sounding like I may have issues. I'll do a factory reset over the long weekend and see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #13
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Lima7 solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Aura
Hey! I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same problems with my H20 edition 2. Did you figure it out?
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote