Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2022, 06:23 AM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another vent/rant is when the formatting gets in the way of reading because the formatting is that bad. It's very easy to make eBooks with good formatting. So why is it the big publishers have no idea what they are doing?
Yes, baffling. Hence I suppose some are very keen on KOReader here or brain-dead Android apps that ignore the CSS.

I fix the ebooks, which wife appreciates (though she could do it if she wanted to). Most people have no idea that the formatting can be fixed. A bit of HTML and CSS isn't as hard as learning C, C++, Java etc. Mostly fixing is deleting stupid stuff.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:31 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, baffling. Hence I suppose some are very keen on KOReader here or brain-dead Android apps that ignore the CSS.

I fix the ebooks, which wife appreciates (though she could do it if she wanted to). Most people have no idea that the formatting can be fixed. A bit of HTML and CSS isn't as hard as learning C, C++, Java etc. Mostly fixing is deleting stupid stuff.
Fixing is replacing stupid stuff with not stupid stuff for the stuff that you want to work. The rest is deleting the junk like the excessive amount of CSS classes not used in the CSS and HTML, unused IDs, unused internal page numbers, etc.

Depending on the eBook, sometimes I will convert ePub 3 to ePub 2 because the ePub 3 is a right mess. or sometimes things are done that may not work in RMSDK on a Kobo so I go back to ePub 2 with code that works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #63
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I go for the "nuclear" option when things get bad.
I just delete all .css files from the .zip
You can do this to DRM'ed books without touching the DRM.
I call my Windows executable that does this "unduke.exe".
That's because those crap Duke publications with the stupid dog in the corner.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:50 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I go for the "nuclear" option when things get bad.
I just delete all .css files from the .zip
You can do this to DRM'ed books without touching the DRM.
I call my Windows executable that does this "unduke.exe".
That's because those crap Duke publications with the stupid dog in the corner.
But then you have just 100% defaults that are also not good for reading. Sorry, but that doesn't work either (IMHO).
Old 07-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #65
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, not defaults, just my global settings which are adjustable.
Font, font size, line spacing, justification, margins.
What else do you need?
Advert
Old 07-10-2022, 07:03 PM   #66
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I once borrowed an Overdrive book that had awful fixed formatting that ignored my reader settings entirely. It was... frustrating.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:31 PM   #67
Renate
Wizard

Well, if you want you can use this. It just strips all .css files from an .epub
It may be that some reader doesn't like that the files are missing, save a copy of the original.
Code:
L:\Digital Editions>unduke 1848.epub
Removed 1 items
Just rename the file from .prc to .exe
Attached Files
File Type: prc unduke.prc (188.5 KB, 189 views)
Old 07-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #68
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, baffling. Hence I suppose some are very keen on KOReader here .

I have poor motor skills, so using KOReader to override those settings it can is easier, faster and safer than editing CSS files. That requires typing, something I do as little of as possible. When I make typos here, it's no biggie, but making a typo in a file intended to be actioned in some way can matter.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:49 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, not defaults, just my global settings which are adjustable.
What else do you need?
Indent.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:33 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
What else do you need?
Centering, right alignment, header styling, verses, text messages, block quotes, etc.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:16 PM   #71
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Centering, right alignment, header styling, verses, text messages, block quotes, etc.
Section breaks
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:21 PM   #72
Renate
Wizard

Well, I like illuminated initial letters too.

We're not going for most desirable here, we're going for least obnoxious.
I'm not going to sweat CSS for books that I don't own.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:05 PM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Well, I like illuminated initial letters too.
Drop caps in any form are a total pain to have look good over a variety of devices. I worked on one ebook for an author who want to use images of illuminated letters for the first letter of each chapter. I sweated blood trying to make those suckers look good on multiple platforms given that most of the renderers he wanted to target did not under media queries and many of them had trouble understanding basic CSS. There was also the joy of learning how to wrap text around an L-shaped graphic. It was definitely a learning experience though of what I learned, the lesson that stuck was to run screaming the next time someone wanted those embellishments.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:16 PM   #74
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
We're not going for most desirable here, we're going for least obnoxious.
Why? Of course I'm going for what I like the most. Why should I go for less?
Quote:
I'm not going to sweat CSS for books that I don't own.
Well, I own all my ebooks. So yeah, I want them to look as good as possible.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:38 PM   #75
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Went to my library's Overdrive to borrow a title I was previously interested in but waited until I finished current read.

"Not available. License expired"
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote