Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I think with how suddenly these bans were announced and are going to be implemented I have a feeling they have some kind of information on an active threat.
There has long been a concern over battery packs and the recent failed raid in Yemen *reportedly* yielded some added data in that area.

On the technology side: it is far from inconceivable that a laptop battery package/casing could be reworked to hold a small battery good for a few minutes of normal operation and fill the rest of the volume with plastic explosive. If the explosive can be sealed to prevent outgassing (smell) the bomb would be undetectable except by specialized detectors. Which are expensive and apparently not in use in the listed airports.

Of course, there are other theories floating about with credibility depending on the political inclination of the propounder and the audience. That would be a matter for a different forum.

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-23-2017 at 08:27 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #47
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I already read somewhere you need to be sure your device is charged because they can ask you to turn it on. I still see absolutely no increased security with this measure. Only an increased amount of people who cannot claim a stolen tablet/laptop because it wasn't in the hand luggage...
Because you can replace the battery with an explosive device, simple, easy and cheaper than buying a Samsung Note 7.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #48
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Because you can replace the battery with an explosive device, simple, easy and cheaper than buying a Samsung Note 7.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #49
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
True, my phone does have a replaceable battery. But it's also allowed to go into the cabin (unlike that Note 7!)...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #50
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Well, you could always resort to dead-tree books for those occasions. I can't read those anymore, but since I'm well accustomed to audiobooks, I'm fine. We have a small collection of dead-tree books for my Mom as she prefers those when away from home rather than her paperwhite (i've tried).
Same here. The last 3 years, I listened to audiobooks far more than read ebooks. For whatever reason, the last six months, I've gone back to reading and gone off audiobooks. Recently, I've made an effort to go back to my previous routine of reading and listening nonfiction/fiction combo. So I'm pretty well-customized to audiobooks. I'm used to listening while I'm doing chores and driving (on the rare occasions when I do drive). The only time I'm still when listening to audiobooks is bed-time and I have the book on auto-shutdown. So naturally, if I'm sitting still on a plane and listening to a book...sleep follows.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find the problem with audiobooks is I have to pay attention which means I cannot really do other things at the same time. Audiobooks also take a lot longer to get through then a book. Also, depending on the how you are listening to the audiobook, picking up where you left off may not be so easy.

But as to the electronics ban, as long as I can bring my phone & backup battery, I can read on a plane. But I'd prefer my H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But as to the electronics ban, as long as I can bring my phone & backup battery, I can read on a plane. But I'd prefer my H2O.
Virtually all planes have USB power sockets on the seats these days, so power really isn't a problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #53
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Virtually all planes have USB power sockets on the seats these days, so power really isn't a problem.
Yeah, if you fly business class.

Most of the planes I'm on (and I travel regularly, several flights per month) don't have these USB power sockets on my seats.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:46 PM   #54
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post

Most of the planes I'm on (and I travel regularly, several flights per month) don't have these USB power sockets on my seats.
Not only business class. We had USB connections (even a full (american style) socket!) on our economy flight to the US. I think it depends a bit on the flight (short vs long).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post

I've never flown business class in my life but, as I said, virtually all the airlines I fly around Europe in and to and from Egypt provide power sockets.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-23-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #56
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
I've never flown business class in my life but, as I said, virtually all the airlines I fly around Europe in and to and from Egypt provide power sockets.
It seems it's time for me to switch to other airlines, then.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I guess it depends how far you're flying. On a 45 minute flight from Manchester to Paris it doesn't really matter if there's power, but it's useful on a 5h flight from London to Cairo (and EgyptAir planes always do seem to provide USB sockets). I'm almost certain it was there too on the last short-haul flight I did a month or so ago from Manchester to Munich with Lufthansa. The airlines I fly with most commonly in Europe are British Airways, Air France and Lufthansa.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-23-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #58
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Hmmm.. In the last 18 months or so I've flown UK mainland to Madrid (3 times, Iberia), Prague (British Airways), Ukraine (twice, Ukrainian Airlines) and Belfast (Easyjet). All economy class and no trace of a power socket on any of those flights.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I disagree. I've flown quite a bit and most planes do not have USB sockets or even outlets. This is both planes from the US and the UK.

I'll let you know if there are USB sockets on our next flight. We are flying on the 12th of April and it is not a short flight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #60
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll let you know if there are USB sockets on our next flight. We are flying on the 12th of April and it is not a short flight.
If you check seatguru.com you should be able to tell if your seat has power outlets or not.
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote