Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How important are page numbers in Kindle Books?
Very important - I tend to avoid those books and forget the author 16 8.56%
Nice to have - I use them if they are there 57 30.48%
Not important at all - get over yourself. 114 60.96%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #301
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I prefer page numbers on Kindle books. I find that even after using Amazon/Kindle for some years now and thinking I'd become accustomed to it, that 'location' or whatever it is still just doesn't mean anything to me. I also like the 'reading time' left and percentage.

What I would really like though is a one-click/one-swipe solution to quickly look at that information. I've found I just really don't like having any of that info normally showing while reading because I tend to have to glance at it every page. The 'swipe to change what info's showing on bottom' feature on the Voyage just does not work properly at all, and even if it did you'd need about four or five swipes to see the info you want to see then turn it back off. So I now use the method of tapping on top to bring up the menu, tapping to bring up formatting, tapping to bring up reading progress, tapping to show the info I want, tapping to turn the info back off and finally tapping to make it all go away. Yes, I've found that's easier and quicker than sometimes-it-works, sometimes-it-won't swiping the bottom on the Voyage. So my #1 minor improvement would be a section of the screen I could just tap to bring up all relevant info (percentage, page number, time left, even location, chapter, etc.), and then tap again to make it all go away or even not have to tap again but it will just go away automatically once I turn the page.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #302
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
The 'swipe to change what info's showing on bottom' feature on the Voyage just does not work properly at all...
Tap lower left corner, not swipe!
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #303
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It can be a bit tricky to find the right place to tap, sometimes. I find it easier to change it from the dialog box.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #304
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It can be a bit tricky to find the right place to tap, sometimes. I find it easier to change it from the dialog box.
Yes, I tried for a very long time to get it right, including tapping the lower left corner instead of swiping, and then finally gave up. I even started a thread in the Kindle forum to see if there was something I was missing. The tips from others did help but I eventually decided it still just wasn't consistent enough. The top tapping works consistently and is thus easier.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #305
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Wow, that's an expensive ebook: £9.64 at Amazon! Did you find somewhere cheaper, Jon? One of my favourite books, but that really is a bit steep .
A couple of my OverDrive libraries have it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #306
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Wow, that's an expensive ebook: £9.64 at Amazon! Did you find somewhere cheaper, Jon? One of my favourite books, but that really is a bit steep .
Kobo by taking a journey with a code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #307
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I much prefer page numbers rather than just a percentage location within the book, but that wouldn't stop me from reading a book. With just a slider indicating location or percentage, you have no way of knowing if 23% through the book is based on 50 or 5000 pages, and that's the only reason I want to see a page number.

The page number doesn't have to be accurate or magically matched up precisely with hard copies or even using ADE's algorithm, I just want some indication of the length of the book that the percentage is based on so I know my rough reading time to finish the book.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #308
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The page number doesn't have to be accurate or magically matched up precisely with hard copies or even using ADE's algorithm, I just want some indication of the length of the book that the percentage is based on so I know my rough reading time to finish the book.
Send your books to the Kindle with Calibre and you'll always have a page number available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #309
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I can't understand this. So you stop in the middle of a word? sentence?

My preference is to stop at some sort of scene break. A chapter is the most logical choice. A scene break between chapters is my next choice. Some sort of stopping point at the end of a paragraph that ends at the top of a page is next, for example, I don't like to stop in the middle of a lot of dialog.
You know what? I actually have no idea. And if I try to figure it out, I get self-conscious enough that I can't figure out what my natural behaviour is. I just know that when I stop it can be in the middle of a paragraph. I don't feel any need to advance to the next section.

My guess is that ever since I was small, I read in the slivers of time available to me so I just stop where I stop.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote