Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
llvrl
llvrl began at the beginning.

Device: PRS950
CZECH language support on PRS-950?

Hi,

Is there any way to add CZECH language support (characters (at least on menus, ePubs and keyboard) to the PRS-950?

Additional features are appreciated but not a really a requirement. Any way to just get and install the updated font sets e.g. would already be great!

Thanks for any feedback and clarification
llvrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
The Russified FW should have all Eastern European characters incorporated into the fonts. Use Google Translate if you can't read Russian. Or see this topic here.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
llvrl

Smile

Hi Porkupan,

Thanks for the hint. Two more questions about this

1) It sais, it replaces the Dutch language, does that mean that I won't be able to read duch books (ePubs) properly? Would their characters be messed up, because of the cerilic Russian character set? We actually read Dutch, Czech and English books

2) How big is the risk in getting into a frozen/corrupted 950? Is there always a way back with the hard reset? Or can the original FW be flashed/copied back in the same way?

THx for your patience, im a newbie in these. Read a lot but still bit scary
Old 12-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
llvrl

Hi Porkupan,

Actually one more:
3) Would there be a CZ keyboard available as well?

Thanks again! Much appreciated!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
  1. only the dutch UI (the strings in the menus) are replaced with russian.
    The cyrillic characters are added at/with there appropriate UFT-8 codes, so no mess-up. I've added a PDF with all available glyphs.
  2. minimal risk while flashing the new firmware, no "foolproof" way back (as with PRS505 and PRS-300) so exactly follow the installation guide
    original-Firmware images are over at The-Ebook.org, and there is as well the PRS-950 v2 updater at SONYs site.
  3. AFAIK no
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tt0011m_.pdf (1.36 MB, 1215 views)
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
llvrl

Ok, Thanks.
So can you please confirm that if I would like to undo the rusification, I can just again flash the official version again?
Just paranoid

Thanks!!
Old 12-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The original versions are included for all readers. The risk to brick the reader is not nil, but low enough for me to consider it negligible.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
llvrl

Hi,
Could you please clarify what you mean with "included"?
Can I download the original sony FW version and flash again? or just select it on the rusification to undo the Rusification?

Let me clarify why Im persistent in this.
Where we bought the eReader they offer to CZ the reader and this would have full CZ support, including CZ keyboard etc.
While the Rusification will probably offer what we need (able to read CZ books etc) Im not sure how e.g. the sorting of book titles will go since I assume that the CZ characters are not present/included in the alpha sorting. (or?)
So in worst case I would like to undo the Rusification and send it to the store for CZ-ification.
Thanks again for clarifying and helping us out here.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
porkupan
Fanatic

What I mean is that if you look at the list of versions for each reader model, the first one is the original version, which is what comes from the factory.