Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
George R.R. Martin Gives Quick Update on Winds of Winter Progress

From tor.com

Quote:
While he’s been isolated in a literal cabin in the woods, Martin notes that he’s been “spending long hours everyday on The Winds of Winter, and making steady progress.”

Quote:
I finished a new chapter yesterday, another one three days ago, another one the previous week. But no, this does not mean that the book will be finished tomorrow or published next week. It’s going to be a huge book, and I still have a long way to go.
Isolation has allowed him to build up a bit of momentum behind the book, and he says that while he’s sad that CoNZealand won’t be an in-person trip this year, the fact that he won’t have to pause his work for an international trip means that he’ll keep chugging along.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I hear he's written a whopping 1200 pages. I was able to obtain an exact page from his novel-in-progress, which I will now share with everyone. (I cannot, in all honesty, verify the accuracy of this excerpted page. Please keep that in mind as you read and discover once again...the magic!)

Attached Files
File Type: docx Martin's new novel.docx (72.3 KB, 651 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-25-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Hopefully 2021 then maybe possibly
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Eh... he's about 10 years too late. At this point I'm not even sure I'm going to buy the book at all, let alone read it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only way I'd read the series if it was finished.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The Ides of Never
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:39 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I hear he's written a whopping 1200 pages. I was able to obtain an exact page from his novel-in-progress, which I will now share with everyone. (I cannot, in all honesty, verify the accuracy of this excerpted page. Please keep that in mind as you read and discover once again...the magic!)

I was expecting something like:
Old 06-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Eh... he's about 10 years too late. At this point I'm not even sure I'm going to buy the book at all, let alone read it.
I've not read any of the books or watched the show. But I think A Song of Ice and Fire is an important work and I do hope he finishes it.

I do respect his decision not to have anyone continue it when he croaks.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Leaked preview

Chapter: Hodor

"Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor, hodor hodor. Hodor! Hodor hodor hodor hodor..."
Old 06-26-2020, 05:51 AM   #10
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I read books 1-3 and loved them, a great read. Book 4 I had to really slog through and it just wasn't very good. Book 5, I didn't even finish. That was so long ago, and I'm sure I just won't pick it back up when 6 comes out. Why bother, he probably will never finish the final book. I hope he does, but he's not a pillar of health.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I was expecting something like:

I take a shining to your humor.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Some writers just don't write quickly, and I know he's spoken of major depression in the past as well. It's frustrating to wait, but I get it.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've never heard anything RE depression about Martin. I did hear that about Scott Lynch and his Gentlemen Bastards series, though. Depression/anxiety that he still suffers from.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Some writers just don't write quickly, and I know he's spoken of major depression in the past as well. It's frustrating to wait, but I get it.
I’ve never heard this about GRRM. I’ve heard it about Runelords author David Farland, and The Kingkiller Chronicle author Patrick Rothfuss before but even those cases of struggling are nearly a decade old and while it’s not something that just goes away I’d think there would be more recent reports.

GRRMs issues are more that he loves going to cons and he gets involved with lots of projects. And to be clear I’m not saying he shouldn’t, just that this is what delays him working on his main series. He also self edits, and does a fairly good job of it, which delays the news of a finished book going to the publisher but speeds it along once it’s been sent as there’s less they need to do. The work still gets checked over but from what’s been said it doesn’t need much tinkering after it’s left GRRMs hands.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've never heard anything RE depression about Martin. I did hear that about Scott Lynch and his Gentlemen Bastards series, though. Depression/anxiety that he still suffers from.
There's a long interview of George R.R. Martin and Stephen King on YouTube. But here's a short clip where George talks about writing stuff and then hating it and doubting he has talent. No, I'm not saying George suffers from clinical depression. But you can see why he moves so slowly.