Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-12-2022, 05:10 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Any way to use syncthing / unison / rsync / etc/ to synchronize notes & history?

I find myself reading on a Kindle Paperwhite, a Samsung phone, a Samsung S8 Ultra tablet, and a Boox Nova Air.

Sometimes I'll start a book on one device, and then totally forget where in my syncthing synchronized directory (same place on all devices) where the book was.

Is there a way I could piggyback on my existing syncthing directory to synchronize some part of the koreader directory (files/folders there) using a tool like syncthing / rsync / unison etc?

Synchronize the history list across each device. I.e. open a new file on one device, all other devices would receive this information and my history screen on any device would be the same.

Synchronize the annotations, notes and bookmarks from device to device. i.e. I highlight a passage on one book, then all other devices receive this data. Would be super handy.
Many thanks for reading this.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:40 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
I find myself reading on a Kindle Paperwhite, a Samsung phone, a Samsung S8 Ultra tablet, and a Boox Nova Air.

Sometimes I'll start a book on one device, and then totally forget where in my syncthing synchronized directory (same place on all devices) where the book was.

Is there a way I could piggyback on my existing syncthing directory to synchronize some part of the koreader directory (files/folders there) using a tool like syncthing / rsync / unison etc?

Synchronize the history list across each device. I.e. open a new file on one device, all other devices would receive this information and my history screen on any device would be the same.

Synchronize the annotations, notes and bookmarks from device to device. i.e. I highlight a passage on one book, then all other devices receive this data. Would be super handy.
Many thanks for reading this.
Also posted in https://github.com/koreader/koreader/discussions/9189

The answer is still the same: nope.

A more verbose answer about why 3rd party stuff won't work to sync history/highlights/...

Because all that stuff requires device specific data, such as paths, that are not the same on different platforms.

So it needs 1st party love even when you use 3rd party software to sync.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:59 PM   #3
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
I thought you were saying no over there with respect it making its way to koreader itself.

If I maintain the sa!e directory structure from device to device (all for android say) could this work ? Ie overwrite the less recent history or notes file with a newer one?
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote