Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I checked some of my older Tor books and they were all fine.

Interestingly the new one does not say it is a DRM-free ePub in the details at the bottom of the book's page, although it does have the download button in the library.
That's because of the ePub 3 = kepub glitch at Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #47
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They've got books that they've known have problems for years that they're still selling. This has been made known not only to Kobo CS, but also directly to
Michael Tamblyn.
Thought so. Thanks for the confirmation.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are a bunch of problems with Kobo. One is that any ePub that is sent to them as ePub 3 get converted to kepub regardless of DRM. I've seen more publishers other than Tor selling new eBooks as ePub 3. Thus, there are now more and more new eBooks at Kobo that can only be downloaded as kepub. regardless of DRM. Now you have to install Kobo Desktop. You then download your Kobo eBooks via Kobo Desktop. You go to try to find that one Tor eBook that has no DRM. First you have to find where the Kobo downloads are stored. You finally find out and which one is it? You have no idea because the filenames are garbage and thus meaningless. So you have to find Obok and install it in Calibre You do that and find out you cannot see which are DRM free and which are not. So you go find the latest Obok and install that. You then can see the DRM free kepub as well. So you use Obok to get it into Calibre. But it's kepub. Now you have to run it through Mobify ePub to get this eBook back to an ePub.

That's just silly to have to do all hat just get that DRM free Tor eBook that should have been downloadable as an ePub with just your browser. There should not ever be a need for Obok and Kobo Desktop. Kobo should not be converting epub 3 to kepub only.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #49
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They've got books that they've known have problems for years that they're still selling. This has been made known not only to Kobo CS, but also directly to
Michael Tamblyn.
I'm curious as to Michael Tamblyn being personally (?) Informed.

Did you inform him, or did you see the email or were in the presence of whomever told him?

I hate to be a pia, but I'm sending from phone, so would you mind elaborating on who Tamblyn is, please.

I've also bought a DRM free (O'Reilly) ebook that only came as a kepub, in 2013. I only got a store credit because they said tHat was policy. It's changed since. Oin the odd occasion I unwittingly get a kepub only book now but obok sorts that out no problems.

Also, a lot of people who bought epubs but could only download kepubs have been able to download the epub version in the last couple of months. Well, so they've been reporting in the Discounts thread.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #50
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
If it's available for direct download, it's supposedly indicated with the format and DRM status, e.g., EPUB2 (Adobe DRM) or EPUB2 (DRM-Free). The tricky part is, if it's not downloadable (and therefore likely EPUB3 with or without DRM), it says nothing at all

I don't know how accurate Kobo's product info is. Would be interesting to know if it's as reliable (or unreliable) as the blue "download epub" button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Well that's consistent with the ebook I bought. The product info said nothing at all (though preview specifically said "DRM-Free EPUB"). Thanks for the info. I still find that sort of obfuscation unacceptable, but at least I'm armed with more info now. I'm going to need a freaking pre-buy checklist for each store from now on, I guess.
I agree. The lack of clarity suggests laziness, sloppiness or intent to mislead.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #51
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I hate to be a pia, but I'm sending from phone, so would you mind elaborating on who Tamblyn is, please.
See http://www.kobo.com/execteam?style=o...___store=ca-en

Quote:
MICHAEL TAMBLYN

President & Chief Content Officer

Michael is President and Chief Content Officer at Kobo, and works closely with CEO Taka Aiki to further develop Kobo’s world-class platform, while keeping sustainable and long-term profitable growth central to the organization’s strategies. He brings tremendous insight into what readers want and continues to inspire Kobo with his creative ideas and passion for eBooks and eReading; on the content side, Michael is responsible for sales, publisher and industry relations, content acquisition, and the merchandising experience across Kobo's web and mobile services.

Prior to joining Kobo, Tamblyn was the founding CEO of the supply chain agency BookNet Canada, where he launched the national sales reporting service BNC SalesData. Tamblyn also co-founded Canada's first online bookstore Bookshelf.ca, purchased by Indigo Books & Music in 1998, where he also served as Vice President of Online Operations.

Michael holds a Masters in Business Administration from the University of Western Ontario.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #52
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I'm curious as to Michael Tamblyn being personally (?) Informed.

Did you inform him, or did you see the email or were in the presence of whomever told him?
Had a nice back and forth email conversation with him about it a few years ago. This is before he was President of the company and was just the head content guy.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 PM   #53
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Buy from Google Play. You get whatever version ePub the publisher puts out there.
Are you sure about that?

In another thread Difflugia reports: "My annoyance with Google is that they reprocess the source books before selling them. They add kepub-like stuff into the epubs ... "

I've never bought from Google Play, so I don't know one way or another, but I'd like to know whether I can get unadulterated epubs from Google Play since Barnes & Noble and Kobo ... well ... 'nuf said.

Last edited by Jane12; 02-05-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #54
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe Google repacks the books as Play books (which only work in their app and are full of strange secret sauce) but the ADE download they offer should be fine.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #55
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
IIRC, this is just a trend of Kobo being Kobo though.

Somehow people are always complaining about Kobo having one issue or another, and I am fairly sure I recall previous statements of anger that they left the book up for sale.
The problem isn't that Kobo has one issue or another, they have many, many issues. And don't seem to be expending a lot of effort to resolve them.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #56
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
The problem isn't that Kobo has one issue or another, they have many, many issues. And don't seem to be expending a lot of effort to resolve them.
All my Kobo issues are resolved, I simply never buy books there...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
Are you sure about that?

In another thread Difflugia reports: "My annoyance with Google is that they reprocess the source books before selling them. They add kepub-like stuff into the epubs ... "

I've never bought from Google Play, so I don't know one way or another, but I'd like to know whether I can get unadulterated epubs from Google Play since Barnes & Noble and Kobo ... well ... 'nuf said.
I've never seen any proprietary stuff in the (admittedly) few books I've bought there (ascm download/fulfillment only). I've received "standard" EPUB2 books (and even a few of those undownloadable/unsideloadable EPUB3s that give Kobo such trouble).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's because of the ePub 3 = kepub glitch at Kobo.
That doesn't sound like a glitch as much as a policy/design decision: "If the publisher sends us epub2, set it up for straighgt download--if they send us epub3, set it up as Kepub."

There must be a business/technical reason for the divide. Kobo proudly proclaims epub3 support but might it be like Amazon's "support" for epub, on the publishing side as feedstock only?

How are the Kobo readers with sideloaded epub3? New ones, old ones...?

Amazon download files depend on the device you designate: if you tell it you're going to sideload a K1 or K2 you get mobi7 but for newer hardware you get azw or kf8. Kobo may not have the mechanisms in place to do that for their older hardware.

If the issue has been brought up all the way up to da boss then it must not be an easy fix. Or it's something they don't care about.

Just wondering, though.
I gave up on Kobo way back, even before Kepub.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #59
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Well, yes, one issue or another repeated ad nauseam over and over and over again almost immediately becomes many. That is the obvious conclusion to my statement...
Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #60
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Here's an example of a free book from Tor that won't download from Kobo but downloads fine from Google:

Some of the Best From Tor.com: 2014: A Tor.Com Original

Kobo
Google
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote