Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #2236
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I've had mine for a couple days. I have to say it's pretty close to perfect. No bright dots or colour blotches. I see a bit of the shadowing at the bottom of the screen but it doesn't bother me at all. I love reading on it. I do wish I could dim the light a bit more.

It was easy to set up, works perfectly with Calibre. I got all my books on it and into their collections with no issues. The only thing I had to look up was how to turn off Popular Highlights. I also have no need for Goodreads, wish I could change the icon at the top of the menu to something else.
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #2237
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can shut that stuff off in the settings area. I don't have my PW with me but if you click on settings, there is an option for social media (I think) or something that is worded that allows to turn all of that off.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #2238
ereaderSam
Connoisseur
ereaderSam doesn't litterereaderSam doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I am very happy with mine. The only thing that surprised me was that I thought it would get brighter quicker. I have to set mine at about 20 to get it to the brightness I like. The display is just awesome. I can read in a darkly lit living room without issue. I went with the Kindle case which fits snug to the device. I do not mind the added weight of the case for I always prefer a cover on my ereaders. I like the small form factor. I must say I do enjoy the upgrade from my 1st Gen Nook. I would highly recommend it.
ereaderSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #2239
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I really enjoy reading on my PW2. I was big on Kobo at one time and still have a Kobo Glo, but the PW2 gets used everyday. I read more now than ever. I really enjoy the send to kindle feature. My only wish is that Kindle would have a setting that would allow me to darken the fonts as needed. For the price...it really is a nice reader. I plan on upgrading to whatever new model comes out later as I would really like 3g model.(I go camping often in areas that have no wifi) Battery life is ok. I got months of life out of my Aztak EZReader, but it is all good.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #2240
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
It was easy to set up, works perfectly with Calibre. I got all my books on it and into their collections with no issues. The only thing I had to look up was how to turn off Popular Highlights. I also have no need for Goodreads, wish I could change the icon at the top of the menu to something else.
I'm curious as to what software besides calibre you are using to build your collections? And what firmware you are running.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #2241
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I'm curious as to what software besides calibre you are using to build your collections? And what firmware you are running.
Collections Manager kindlet -- kindle hack that can import collections from collections.json, which calibre can export using a plugin.

Everything is explained there.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #2242
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
Just picked up PW2 today.

I wanted to upgrade from a PRS-650 that I rarely used these days (mainly due to messing with reading lights) to a lighted reader so I could stop reading on my 2012 Nexus 7. I first checked out the Kobo Aura, but wasn't impressed at all with the display model. Next, I checked out the PW2 at a local Staples and walked out with it a few minutes later.

Extremely happy so far. Everything just works, it's fast, and the light does exactly what I need it to. Reading should be a joy on this...time will tell.

As an added lucky bonus my Tuff-Luv leather case that I had for my Sony fits perfectly!

Love my Nexus 7, but I'm glad to have a useable eReader again.
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #2243
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
I played a bit in Staples today, I found Kindle's design is getting worse and worse. K3>K4>PW. PW is just ugly.
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #2244
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
I played a bit in Staples today, I found Kindle's design is getting worse and worse. K3>K4>PW. PW is just ugly.
Meh. Different strokes...

I find most tablets and phones neither ugly nor "beautiful" as they're all just slabs with a screen to me.
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #2245
ereaderSam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneR View Post
Meh. Different strokes...

I find most tablets and phones neither ugly nor "beautiful" as they're all just slabs with a screen to me.
Ok Fred Flintstone. (just kidding)
Old 06-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #2246
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
That's a pretty vague statement. Mind clarifying (just so we understand what you are trying to say) exactly which aspects of the newer models you feel are ugly?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #2247
mirbg
Enthusiast
mirbg began at the beginning.

Guys, after a month of using my last KPW2 I can't get used with this 0.3mm slanted screen... It sounds funny (i mean 0.3mm), but it is very annoying...
On my previous units, there was even more gap of 0.5 to 1mm!!
At first I thought that 0.3mm is not so big deal but now with more and more reading I find it very distrustful..
Are yours perfectly aligned??

Here is what I am talking about:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	124162  

Last edited by mirbg; 06-14-2014 at 06:12 PM.
mirbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #2248
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirbg View Post
Guys, after a month of using my last KPW2 I can't get used with this 0.3mm slanted screen... It sounds funny (i mean 0.3mm), but it is very annoying...
At first I thought that 0.3mm is not so big deal but now with more and more reading I find it very distrustful..

By a curiously strange coincidence, I just purchased and started reading Don Quixote, the one translated by John Rutherford. Equally strange (and this is all true, mind you), I just finished reading the 'windmills chapter'.

I don't think you would be satisfied with anything but perfection. I don't see perfection - certainly not in life and certainly not in technology.

But.........this is your money. Since this bothers you, then you should return it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #2249
ereaderSam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirbg View Post

Mine seems to do the same thing. I never noticed it before you brought it up.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #2250
mirbg
Enthusiast
mirbg began at the beginning.

Paperwhite Second Gen: First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
By a curiously strange coincidence, I just purchased and started reading Don Quixote, the one translated by John Rutherford. Equally strange (and this is all true, mind you), I just finished reading the 'windmills chapter'.

I don't think you would be satisfied with anything but perfection. I don't see perfection - certainly not in life and certainly not in technology.

But.........this is your money. Since this bothers you, then you should return it.

)))) Nice coincidence.. and good point, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderSam View Post
Mine seems to do the same thing. I never noticed it before you brought it up.

I hope I haven't turned into a "party killer"..))

Last edited by mirbg; 06-14-2014 at 07:06 PM.
mirbg is offline   Reply With Quote