Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
alexp2010
alexp2010 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Kindle wish list

Hi all,
[To the moderator] I know there is a wish list somewhere, but I couldn't find it now - a sign it needs to be moved in a more visible place.

There are some striking problems with K3 - maybe Amazon can be made to see this and fix them. Maybe someone here, reading this, knows how to make that happen. This is the main reason for this post.

To me, the missing features or the problems are:
-the Collections thing is unfinished, unusable the way it is right now.
-The font selection is way too limited. The font sizing is too rough. One font is too small, the next one too big. Justification can not be changed. Margins cannot be changed.

-pdf's zoom : no fine-tuning of the zooming factor.
Fine-tuning of position gets lost the next page.
-pdf reflow would be a nice thing.

-no possibility to rent books from libraries. This is a joke for a mainstream ebook reader.

It's a pity these things are missing, because other than that, the reader is a very good piece of hardware.
Amazon seems to not care about any improvements.
I'm not talking about the web browser, which is yet another joke - but one might say that's not a fundamental part of an ebook reader.

-I'm adding here my personal wish to have two-column display [I saw, however, that mostly nobody seems to see the usefulness of it].

For completeness, some of the above can be alleviated through hacks - but that still gives Amazon no excuse. So: how can we make them take note?

The hacks available [see the corresponding threads on this site]:
-The font hack [many thanks to the author, it works great]
-For finer tuning of font sizing, the only way I know is to use the font hack with a font that happens to [or is tweaked to] have the desired size selectable with the coarse kindle font-sizing menu.
-Justification choice can be made visible
-Margins can be changed [This hack, however, is unusable, since any change in the margins through the reader menu will override the custom margin]
alexp2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
varmemester
Connoisseur
varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & Sony PRS-950
I hear you! I would like to get involved in a debate concerning these issues, which eventually could turn into a letter to amazon, stating the most wanted software changes, from people on this forum. There might already be people working on something like that, so if someone could point me in the right direction.
varmemester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert