Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #16
cobalt8
Enthusiast
cobalt8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone
I have trouble believing any list provided by a company that refuses to release any sales-related data. If the device is selling as well as they'd like the general public to believe, then why not post the numbers that back the claim? Also, as others have stated it's misleading when you have 3 different types of 2nd generation iPod touches in the line-up, with the only variation in hardware being the storage capacity. I'd be much more impressed if they were to combine them together into a single slot and then show a sub-list with the ranking for the individual models.

I also have yet to see a Kindle in the wild, but have seen several Sony ereader devices. I plan on buying a Kindle regardless, as from my forum-scavenging I've found that many Kindle owners are also Mac owners and have given the same dedication to their Kindle as they have their Mac devices. I just hope that I'm not misplacing my trust in a company that is so secretive with their sales figures and also hasn't issued a software update since the original release of their product and have given little information about any prospect of updated hardware or software. They don't seem to care much for their customer base.
cobalt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
lowlife
lowlife began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 700
Also never underestimate the power of placing your product on the front page every time someone visits the website.
lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlife View Post
Also never underestimate the power of placing your product on the front page every time someone visits the website.
Ummm......nope! Thats not the reason I bought it! And after about 3 times I stopped seeing it there.

Its because its a great product.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #19
empink
empink is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt8 View Post
I just hope that I'm not misplacing my trust in a company that is so secretive with their sales figures and also hasn't issued a software update since the original release of their product and have given little information about any prospect of updated hardware or software. They don't seem to care much for their customer base.
Uh...but they DID have a software update out a couple months after the Kindle came out. It seemed to be just bug fixes and stuff, though. And have you heard from Kindle owners who have had their devices break down on them? What I've heard is that Amazon is fast and courteous about Kindle replacement.

Also, I've personally returned a handful of crappy books and had a fast and painless time each time-- the only annoying thing was hunting down the link that would let me initiate the return. And the content selection has almost doubled since the Kindle's release, which is the one major thing I was hoping for. I wish they'd be less secretive about what's coming down the pipeline, and about sales figures in general, but so far I'm satisfied with how things have gone.
empink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
also hasn't issued a software update since the original release of their product and have given little information about any prospect of updated hardware or software.
As empink said, there was one software update, but I agree that Amazon has not significantly changed the product since release. The real test for Amazon will come with the introduction of the Kindle 2, because they have never had to handle an updated product cycle before. What will they do for the Kindle 1 owners? Who probably don't, as a whole, think of themselves as "early adopters". Best case is a software upgrade implementing part of whatever is new with the Kindle 2. Worst case is new content that isn't compatible with the Kindle 1.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #21
TheRealBillc
evangelist
TheRealBillc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 deceased now 950
Kindle & Sony reader sightings

I also take the New York subway and the New Jersey Path trains and I've seen 3 Kindles, two on the same day and two Sony readers (besides my own) in 6 months. I'd expect to see more because commuting is the perfect excuse to buy one, but I also think we are still in an early adopter phase, that and the pricing keeps you from seeing more than you might expect.
TheRealBillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #22
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I have trouble believing any list provided by a company that refuses to release any sales-related data. If the device is selling as well as they'd like the general public to believe, then why not post the numbers that back the claim? Also, as others have stated it's misleading when you have 3 different types of 2nd generation iPod touches in the line-up, with the only variation in hardware being the storage capacity. I'd be much more impressed if they were to combine them together into a single slot and then show a sub-list with the ranking for the individual models.
They are by manufacturer model #s. Thats fair. Besides, even if the kindle only sold as well as one ipod model I would be impressed and happy/optimistic for the ebook market.

Quote:
I also have yet to see a Kindle in the wild, but have seen several Sony ereader devices. I plan on buying a Kindle regardless, as from my forum-scavenging I've found that many Kindle owners are also Mac owners and have given the same dedication to their Kindle as they have their Mac devices. I just hope that I'm not misplacing my trust in a company that is so secretive with their sales figures and also hasn't issued a software update since the original release of their product and have given little information about any prospect of updated hardware or software. They don't seem to care much for their customer base.
Not sure what mac and dedication (?) has to do with anything, but if you end up like most kindle users you will see little need in interfacing your unit to any pc/mac. Its pretty self-sustaining.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote