Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
mmjess
mmjess began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Question ~The Cleanest ePub: how to?

Hello everyone

I have a very simple use of Calibre; however, there are two things I would like to learn to get "super clean" ePubs:

1. Clean up unnecessary metadata

I use very little data to identify my eBooks:
Title | Author(s) | Publication date | Tag

When I delete other types of metadata in bulk (like Series), I realize that other metadata persist to exist (like Description) when I use my eBooks on other platforms.

> I would like to erase all possible metadata, apart from the four mentioned above.

2. Clean up the structure

> After the metadata adjustment of my eBooks, I would like to be able to rename all the HTML splited files automatically with their new organization and new name. Example:

From "Dick,Philip K - Counter-clock worldd_split_000.html"
To "Philip K Dick - Counter-Clock World_split_000.html"

Thank you for your help!

Jess
mmjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Question...Where did that Philip K. Dick eBook come from?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
mmjess

Quick reply: I don't have it, it's a pure example (as I'm French I chose an English book title). I read another one a long time ago, Ubik
Old 12-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't use spaces in eBook filenames. Also use Modify ePub to do some cleaning up. Then the rest of the cleaning up do it in the Calibre editor. Also install the epubcheck plugin to validate your ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
mmjess

Thank you JSWolf!

I installed Modify ePub, but there are many options that I do not really understand, I do not want to mess up my library.. The idea is to keep only the data I need (title, author, publication date, tag). I guess I can use "Remove all metadata jackets", "Update metadata" and "Remove non dc: metadata elements"?
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjess View Post
Hello everyone

I have a very simple use of Calibre; however, there are two things I would like to learn to get "super clean" ePubs:

1. Clean up unnecessary metadata

I use very little data to identify my eBooks:
Title | Author(s) | Publication date | Tag

When I delete other types of metadata in bulk (like Series), I realize that other metadata persist to exist (like Description) when I use my eBooks on other platforms.

> I would like to erase all possible metadata, apart from the four mentioned above.
Well, I am curious about why you don't want the other metadata, but...

I can't think of anything that will remove all unwanted metadata except opening the metadata editor and going through each field and clearing them. To do multiple books, the bulk metadata editor has a search and replace function that should be able to clear one field at a time for all the books.

Other than that, there are the Clean Metadata and Cleaning Comment plugins. Maybe you can convince the authors of these to add options to remove certain metadata.
Quote:

> After the metadata adjustment of my eBooks, I would like to be able to rename all the HTML splited files automatically with their new organization and new name. Example:

The editor can do bulk renames for files. You select them, specify the prefix and starting index and all the files get renamed. I don't know of a way to do this without opening the books individually.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
mmjess

Thanks for your time, davidfor.

Quote:
Well, I am curious about why you don't want the other metadata, but...
I can give you an example: I use iBooks for particular ePubs, and I have a special use of "Description" and "Comments". I am annoyed when I discover that I can not change some texts already present without getting strange results in return.

Quote:
Other than that, there are the Clean Metadata and Cleaning Comment plugins. Maybe you can convince the authors of these to add options to remove certain metadata.
Unfortunately, Cleaning Comment does not seem to work, and Clean Metadata seems to be for a very specific purpose.

Quote:
The editor can do bulk renames for files. You select them, specify the prefix and starting index and all the files get renamed. I don't know of a way to do this without opening the books individually.
I will check that, thank you!
Old 12-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@mmjess - the Sigil Editor has a simple enough to use epub metadata editor, I use it to strip everything except title, creator(s), publisher, date and language.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I can give you an example: I use iBooks for particular ePubs, and I have a special use of "Description" and "Comments". I am annoyed when I discover that I can not change some texts already present without getting strange results in return.
That just makes me more curious
Quote:
Unfortunately, Cleaning Comment does not seem to work, and Clean Metadata seems to be for a very specific purpose.
I wasn't saying they would do what you want. But, they are the closest plugins available. Extending them would probably be simpler than writing new plugins. Of course, you would need to convince the authors to do this, or make your own versions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:12 AM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Cleanup of non DC metadata is maybe helpful. It reduced the metadata to a core set of DC elements. Take a look for plugin Quality check (check for non DC metadata) and Modify ePub (remove non DC metadata).
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
mmjess

Thank you all for your help, I think we are getting closer to a solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
the Sigil Editor has a simple enough to use epub metadata editor, I use it to strip everything except title, creator(s), publisher, date and language.
This tool is very interesting BR, this is the kind of tool I'm looking for!
Is there a way to apply this operation to multiple ePubs at once?
I also noticed that Sigil recreates useless metadata once the changes made and the eBook saved, is there a way to avoid this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That just makes me more curious
I use the Comments section for brief observations on some books and the Description section after completing each book to make a brief summary of the concepts that belong to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Extending them would probably be simpler than writing new plugins. Of course, you would need to convince the authors to do this, or make your own versions.
I am about to learn Python, maybe I will find the faith to write a little program to achieve this exact operation during the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
Cleanup of non DC metadata is maybe helpful. It reduced the metadata to a core set of DC elements. Take a look for plugin Quality check (check for non DC metadata) and Modify ePub (remove non DC metadata).
Quality check seems interesting to make large checks, thank you! I have been using Modify ePub since JSWolf suggested it to me but I'm not very sure about options to use. The closest solution to what I am looking for is in Sigil's metadata editor, but I have the impression that it only works for one book at a time.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This tool [Sigil] is very interesting BR, this is the kind of tool I'm looking for!

Is there a way to apply this operation to multiple ePubs at once?
No

Quote:
I also noticed that Sigil recreates useless metadata once the changes made and the eBook saved, is there a way to avoid this?
No - it always injects its calling card - name and date, calibre editor does much the same. I suspect its an IDPF best practice guideline. You could try unpacking the epub, remove the calling card from the opf with an editor, and then re-packing the epub. None of the epub readers I use, or have used, display the calling cards, so I've never bothered getting rid of the one Sigil creates when it saves .

Quote:
I use the Comments section for brief observations on some books and the Description section after completing each book to make a brief summary of the concepts that belong to it.
- calibre puts content of Comments into dc:description, i.e. they are one and the same.

I don't use Comments, firstly because they cannot be edited from the book list, secondly because they end up in dc:description, which cannot be removed by the Modify plugin. Any Comments that I download and want to keep get moved into a custom column - Blurb/#blurb, which I can edit from the book list, and remove via the Modify plugin.

Here the settings I have for the Modify plugin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	161055

This program might be of interest ==>> New program: EPub Metadata Editor. I've never used it myself. I did look at it a long time ago but I decided I didn't need it because I could achieve what I wanted with calibre's Modify plugin and Sigil.

Note : I do other things in Sigil in addition to removing metadata items, such as spell check and ToC adjustments.

BR
Old 12-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Thank you for your help!

Jess
Hmmm... don't use spaces in the filenames -- the results can get interesting (for certain values of interesting). .

Otherwise, why bother with adding the author and book name to files that are internal to the epub? For the most part, I just use Sigil's default Section0001 with auto-increment to consistently rename the files though both Sigil and calibre's editor can rename the files with a supplied text segment as part of the file name. I.e. Philip_K_Dick_Counter-Clock_World_Split_0000 as the starting file name.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-29-2017 at 06:56 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... don't use spaces in the filenames -- the results can get interesting (for certain values of interesting, .

Otherwise, why bother with adding the author and book name to files that are internal to the epub? For the most part, I just use Sigil's default Section0001 with auto-increment to consistently rename the files though both Sigil and calibre's editor can rename the files with a supplied text segment as part of the file name. I.e. Philip_K_Dick_Counter-Clock_World_Split_0000 as the starting file name.

Except I name the files for what they are - Preface, Foreword, Prologue, Chapter_1. . ., Chapter_N, Epilogue, Afterword, Endnotes, References, Index etc.

BR

Hmmm : I've never seen a Postface
Old 12-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you want personal comments, make a custom column of Comments TYPE
AFAIK, that does not get embedded.

Then, you are free to remove all normal comments if that floats your boat
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, clean calibre library